Opinions/Input on HE Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Personally, I would not describe the Land Cruiser inventory as a "ton", in fact I would say its very low when compared to other SUVs, particularly for the US market in the luxury offroad segment.

Comparing those metrics to availability of 2015 or newer G-wagens, GX460s, etc... or pretty much any SUV. Chances are, there are significantly more of them for sale then a few hundred for 7-8 MY.

Also, I find it hard to believe that your '13 LX was worth $70k this summer and a few months later it's worth $45k. Either your LX wasn't worth $70k then or its not worth $45k now. What is the mileage on it?
Well I’m in Alaska so values fluctuate more. This summer my local dealer sold a 2012 LC (with a rhino rack,RTT, RWs, home made drawers) with 85k miles on it for $82k. They offered me $70k (with my rack, skinny warrior, fridge) on the spot for my 2013 LX back in August when I was there to pick up a new cowl from the parts department. I was there again 2 weeks ago for an oil filter the sales manager I know well now said they could give me $45k. Just going off what I was offered personally.

Well I’m in Alaska so values fluctuate more. This summer my local dealer sold a 2012 LC (with a rhino rack,RTT, RWs, home made drawers) with 85k miles on it for $82k. They offered me $70k (with my rack, skinny warrior, fridge) on the spot for my 2013 LX back in August when I was there to pick up a new cowl from the parts department. I was there again 2 weeks ago for an oil filter the sales manager I know well now said they could give me $45k. Just going off what I was offered personally.
My guess is that high ticket items are going to be in less demand in Alaska after the questionable tourist season, rising energy costs, inflation, and rising interest rates this year. I know house and land prices in the Kenai are starting to drop as well.

I'm not sure if examples of Alaska market are the most relevant to provide for the majority of audience in this forum.. That would be like me going by the market in Siberia 😄

I'm not sure if examples of Alaska market are the most relevant to provide for the majority of audience in this forum.. That would be like me going by the market in Siberia 😄
Our car market is closely linked to the west cost. I’ve only bought one car in AK all the rest were from Seattle (my LX for example) or CA and negotiated in delivery to AK. I guess what I’m getting at is We typically aren’t that far off WA/OR/NoCA.

As to the OP is the 4Runner your only vehicle? If not could you sell it and watch and wait the LC market? Or could you make it a while without a vehicle? Bike commute, mass transit,….

I understand the conundrum of sell high but buy high vs wait to buy low and sell low. That was why I didn’t sell my LX for $70k this summer.

Last edited:
Our car market is closely linked to the west cost. I’ve only bought one car in AK all the rest were from Seattle (my LX for example) or CA and negotiated in delivery to AK. I guess what I’m getting at is We typically aren’t that far off WA/OR/NoCA.

@coleAK and @stonepa Supply and demand determine particular markets valuations. In ConUS, including WA/OR/NoCal, no pre-2015 Land Cruiser with 85k miles was worth $82k this summer. So either the market is different in Alaska or the dealer was full of it.

The ConUS car market has not declined by 35-40 percent since summer, including on the West coast and particularly for Land Cruisers. So I respectfully disagree with your assessment, but in the sake of not further derailing OPs thread will move on from this topic.

I am slightly envious of the lack of body side molding and the tinted headlights.

I’m not sure I buy into it being super special, but no cool box, two row with an actual cargo cover, more durable seating surfaces, light & strong wheels, no body molding, dark lights, and dark headliner with dark leather are all things that seem far beyond sticker kit.

And the real HE badge actually looks great. But it is a(n expensive) sticker.

I’m not sure I buy into it being super special, but no cool box, two row with an actual cargo cover, more durable seating surfaces, light & strong wheels, no body molding, dark lights, and dark headliner with dark leather are all things that seem far beyond sticker kit.

i guess it depends on personal preference, but that list reads like cost shaving except for the wheels. The “heritage“ is ironic as well, the list features is largely copy/pasted from 2021 civic si more so than a past LC.

it’s a good looking truck, but the heritage is just an appearance package only (Minus the cool box and third row)

I’ve had both variations and I prefer the heritage for a couple reasons. It’s a natural 2 row that doesn’t have the holes when you take out the 3rd row which I did previously because the 3rd row is pretty useless for anyone over 4ft and the headlights are cool plus having a black headliner with a white or gray/silver exterior is a huge plus as the light interior shows dirt pretty quickly into ownership. The heritage wheels are a big bonus but make sure to buy the one for spare. I do miss the leather seats in the regular LC but feel like those won’t last as long if your hard on them and sometimes miss the cool box but generally I don’t as I have much more storage space. I guess the two biggest items I love about the heritage is the headlights that match my blacked out grill and the black headliner that you can’t get retrofitted on a standard Lc without dropping some serious dough which would be silly. Honestly, it’s splitting hairs and at the end of the day, get the one you like the most. Don’t let the Heritage emblem sway your decision. Oh yeah, I do like the the added touch of the emblem. :poof: However, for the price increase of the Heritage, they could have done a little more to make it standout. The lame cargo rack was certainly not it. A TRD suspension at the least would have been nice. If you can find a blue LC, which has the black liner, that’s my favorite combo and then black out all the chrome. :bounce:

The black headliner and interior plastics is half of the reason why we sought out a white with brown leather Cruiser. I can always paint or vinyl wrap the trim/grille, I could probably even get the tinted headlights as well, but I’ll never have a Cruiser sans the awful body side molding without major body/paint work.

The cool box is something I use often and would dearly miss and it’s too easy to simply remove the third row seats and add the block off plates to create the exact same space as the factory 2-row (exactly what I did). Lastly, I couldn’t care less about the HE emblems but if you did they are readily available for the HE wannabe/admirer.

Buy the one you want. It’s a free country, you worked for your money…spend it as you like. If you enjoy it, and aren’t worried about the resale. This is a funny time, and the LC market is not entirely in sync with the overall used car market. While not an exotic car, it certainly has a narrow, extremely loyal following. With a lot less inventory, and especially the discontinuation of it, the LC will not track with average statistics.

The black headliner and interior plastics is half of the reason why we sought out a white with brown leather Cruiser. I can always paint or vinyl wrap the trim/grille, I could probably even get the tinted headlights as well, but I’ll never have a Cruiser sans the awful body side molding without major body/paint work.

The cool box is something I use often and would dearly miss and it’s too easy to simply remove the third row seats and add the block off plates to create the exact same space as the factory 2-row (exactly what I did). Lastly, I couldn’t care less about the HE emblems but if you did they are readily available for the HE wannabe/admirer.
See, we all have different tastes. I don’t like the tan/brown on white look. I’ve always preferred blacked out interiors with light colored exteriors. I also matched my body side molding on previous cruiser.

What are these block off plates you mention? I couldn’t find anything other then making my own tacky covers. I just never had use for the third row in the 200 as it was terrible, but that is one of the reasons we have an X7 as it’s great at people hauling. Adults are even comfortable in the 3rd row with their own climate control and sunroof and it’s not huge like an Escalade.

What do you mean by more durable seating surfaces? Did the HE get different leather than the base cruiser?

What do you mean by more durable seating surfaces? Did the HE get different leather than the base cruiser?
I will say based on owning 4 200’s since 2008, that my previous 3 were the standard 200’s, the Heritage leather is never then my ‘08 which I dislike as it felt really cheap but held up well and not as plush felling as the previous models with semi-aniline but could tell those won’t last forever. I have 33k on my Heritage and the seats, not as nice feeling as my previous ‘19 but can take way more abuse and clean up very easily. They are very difficult to scratch and still look like new. I think that was the idea of putting the heritage together, they wanted something more durable and removing the cool box is one less thing to break. Granted, I’ve never owned a 200 long enough to have one break.

I believe it’s some kind of synthetic leather, not the semi aniline stuff.
It’s real leather. Hell would have to freeze over before I buy another vehicle with fake leather.

See, we all have different tastes. I don’t like the tan/brown on white look. I’ve always preferred blacked out interiors with light colored exteriors. I also matched my body side molding on previous cruiser.

What are these block off plates you mention? I couldn’t find anything other then making my own tacky covers. I just never had use for the third row in the 200 as it was terrible, but that is one of the reasons we have an X7 as it’s great at people hauling. Adults are even comfortable in the 3rd row with their own climate control and sunroof and it’s not huge like an Escalade.
Different tastes as well as different scenarios both of which I can appreciate.

I don’t find myself ever hauling more than 1-3 people max and that’s once in a blue moon. If I found a good deal on one with a 3rd row I’d take it and just swap the seats with a couple of drawers. You can actually get a big, flat load floor that way which I would use far more often than a couple of jump seats.

@coleAK and @stonepa Supply and demand determine particular markets valuations. In ConUS, including WA/OR/NoCal, no pre-2015 Land Cruiser with 85k miles was worth $82k this summer. So either the market is different in Alaska or the dealer was full of it.

The ConUS car market has not declined by 35-40 percent since summer, including on the West coast and particularly for Land Cruisers. So I respectfully disagree with your assessment, but in the sake of not further derailing OPs thread will move on from this topic.
These things have a tendency to come off the tracks, no worries! I’ve enjoyed reading what everyone else has contributed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom