Opinions/Help - front axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My recently acquired 2000 LX470 has about 326k on it. PO had put Kuhmo MT’s on it, I started noticing cupping and noise when driving. Took it to a local shop to check alignment and they told me UCAs needed replacing (along with a couple other things).
Coming from my experience with the ‘95 80 series I have, I’m a little confused about the IFS and CV axles. Can/should it be rebuilt when I’m replacing UCAs, or is it more of a “just fix what’s wrong” situation?
And follow-up question: I have seen @cruiseroutfit carries rebuild kits, but when I baselined the 80, I bought Birfs for that. I’m assuming the 100s have a similar setup; would now be a good time to replace those as well and just rebuild the whole wheel assembly?
FSM’s are in the works, but if anyone can point me in the right direction to a pdf, that would be helpful too.
and I have seen this thread, seems like a great write up from @SUMMIT CRUISERS
Thread 'CV Boots Replaced with directions'
CV Boots Replaced with directions - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cv-boots-replaced-with-directions.388534/

Solution
Can/should it be rebuilt when I’m replacing UCAs,
Depends on what condition the outboard splines, joint, and boots are in.

I have seen @cruiseroutfit carries rebuild kits, but when I baselined the 80, I bought Birfs for that. I’m assuming the 100s have a similar setup; would now be a good time to replace those as well and just rebuild the whole wheel assembly?
Yeah it’s a similar process as doing birfs on an 80. Here’s the part number for the kit:
43460-69145. Costs about $200 per side, or you can roll the dice and get aftermarket outers for $80 (HDK T074).
33140E03-4FD1-4202-81E0-74E11C3C756C.jpeg

Pull the CV axle assembly out, pop the inner joint off, put inner joint and new inner boot on the center shaft.
Can/should it be rebuilt when I’m replacing UCAs,
Depends on what condition the outboard splines, joint, and boots are in.

I have seen @cruiseroutfit carries rebuild kits, but when I baselined the 80, I bought Birfs for that. I’m assuming the 100s have a similar setup; would now be a good time to replace those as well and just rebuild the whole wheel assembly?
Yeah it’s a similar process as doing birfs on an 80. Here’s the part number for the kit:
43460-69145. Costs about $200 per side, or you can roll the dice and get aftermarket outers for $80 (HDK T074).
33140E03-4FD1-4202-81E0-74E11C3C756C.jpeg

Pull the CV axle assembly out, pop the inner joint off, put inner joint and new inner boot on the center shaft.

Solution
I'd go back to the original point - the UCA's. Just replacing them with OEM isn't going to change anything (except maybe get you new bushings and ball joints). What size tires? Does the truck have a lift and/or diff drop on it? If it is because of alignment, then you'll probably want UCA's that have some adjustability in them.

As for the CVs, at 326k, and depending on PO's maintenance, you could do a rebuild or it might be time to replace. Low end you reboot, regrease hubs - high end you replace CVs with OEM new, full hub kit from Cruiser Outfitters, and new flanges.

Thank you @Trunk Monkey !
Tires: Kuhmo MT LT285/75 R16
No lift, AHC still intact and functional

Im a good parts replacer, not so much a rebuild/refurb guy 😂 so that’s why I’d lean toward replacing CV axles at this point, especially if they have to come off to replace the UCAs

Follow-up question: seems like there’s a heads-up for us AHC guys that the usual aftermarket UCAs won’t have the right brackets to connect brake and AHC lines like OEM. Is that a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom