Opinions for my Seat Upholstery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
Hey folks! So I have some nice Corbeau Sport Seats going into my 40. They are upholstered in black vinyl outer/back with black cloth inserts (middle w/horizontal lines). The 40 is (probably) going to be Sundune White (Beige), Dune Beige. My engine is already done in Sundune... But that doesn't mean I won't change my mind last minute!

1577730417397.png

I had originally planned on adding a heavyweight waxed canvas insert like this...

1577730677165.png

However... I have been researching my family history for the last few years and recently tracked them to Scottland in the early 1600's. I also found my ancient Tartan patterns (for kilts) and am wondering if I should integrate one of them into my build. This is an extremely rough example...

1577730725507.png

Here's a close up of this particular pattern...
1577730762983.png

The fabric is a heavyweight 18oz woven twill and will accept UV and water resistant treatments. It would extend the seat insert just like the spine insert in the example, but side bolsters, side, back and headrest would stay black vinyl. I would have them sewn into the horizontal pattern or maybe do diamond pattern, or go with a vertical pattern instead. I don't know whether I like it... Thoughts?

Neat! This would be a really cool touch to your truck but the question always remains that if you ever sell the truck will the seats come out and stay with you or will they go with the truck? While we all say that we will never get rid of our trucks (I said this when I purchased my 60) things change and circumstances may necessitate it.

The biggest thing is whether or not you like it... It is something that can be passed down (to your kids one day) but is not something that would necessarily stay in the family?! One of those things, half dozen of one, six of another.

Speaking of... at the next meeting remind me to show you my new ink. Been wanting a 1/2 to 3/4 sleeve for years but never really could decide on the design. That was until the beginning of this year when my cousin, who is the same age as me, went back to Italy with her dad (my dad's middle brother) and found our family crest in one of the aunt's kitchens!!

I would need a VERY compelling reason to sell my 40... I might have a different opinion had I not committed to a full resto. I have invested far too much to flip it for what I think it is worth. My kids can sell it after I am dead and they can worry about the upholstery. ;)

Do you plan to use the 40 or display it? If you want to use it I would stick to vinyl or automotive fabric. Regular fabrics or conventional upholstery fabric will not hold up to daily use in a car.

Do you plan to use the 40 or display it? If you want to use it I would stick to vinyl or automotive fabric. Regular fabrics or conventional upholstery fabric will not hold up to daily use in a car.

Thanks Dan! This twill fabric is supposed to be the same weight and quality as the stuff in my Bronco. They will also do custom weaves in any weight/fabric quality I want for more $$$, well actually it is £££. ;) To answer your question, I plan to wheel it, but not neglect it. I'll keep it well maintained and cleaned up... at least for the first few years! But you have a good point, maybe I'll find another way to integrate the tartan into my 40.

Door panels?

My 68 doesn't have door panels unless I go to a later model door. I will have a headliner in the hard top and dash pads. I don't want to overdue it though, just accent in one or two places. I will call the tartan shop in Scotland on Thursday to discuss, but they seem to do this a lot with the 16oz tweed...

1577856027096.png

1577856044570.png

1577856070228.png

I think I will be good to go with this stuff.