Opinions? Best u joint for mini truck ps conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to install a mild lift in my newly acquired bj42 (body clearance issues). Now the steering gear alignment with the steering column shaft is off.

I am thinking the best course of action is to install a universal joint. Opinions?

What make and model u joint holds favour with the Mud masses for this issue? I have no problem cutting the shaft and welding in the joint.

FYI , as noted above, the vehicle has had the mini truck PS conversion (PO install).

Flaming River gets my vote. Get them at Summit.

I have zero experience with a BJ42 or mini truck conversion. Go to the Summit website or Flaming River website and match the dimensions and shape to what you have. I have used the spline to Double D and the Double D to round shapes with great results in three different FJ40s doing Saginaw and 60 PS conversions.

Thanks Krenie. Do you recall your measurements? Did you weld or pin the joint to the steering shaft?

My steering shaft measures .875 on my micrometer, or 7/8. The mini truck ps gear appears to be 11/16 and 36 spline.

A picture or two of your current setup may help us direct you to what you need. Borgeson builds some nice parts.

Thanks Krenie. Do you recall your measurements? Did you weld or pin the joint to the steering shaft?

My steering shaft measures .875 on my micrometer, or 7/8. The mini truck ps gear appears to be 11/16 and 36 spline.

I did a conversion to a 60 series box (same gear as mini truck I believe) and swapped my column for a GM based one from summit. Mine are not welded. Your job might need different joints, but here are the ones I used:

The column was similar to this one:

Last edited:
A picture or two of your current setup may help us direct you to what you need. Borgeson builds some nice parts.
Pics attached.

I can't seem to find a u joint that has both a 11/16, 36 spline count and a 7/8 smooth end. The closest is a 3/4 or 1".

Any thoughts on machining the shaft end to 3/4, or 3/4 DD for a more secure attachment?

lc5.jpg

lc6.jpg

lc7.jpg

You can make the shaft a double D with a grinder pretty easily. I did that on my old 72. Then drill through it for the set screws and you will not have to weld it.
I think this might be the route to take. Borgeson makes a 3/4 DD x 11/16, 36 spline. If I can grind the shaft down to 3/4 and form the double D, it should be good and solid - better than welding, which can fatigue over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom