Opinions are like…….well I would like some insight from the group anyway. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Comet

Knower of little, master of less.
SILVER Star
Threads
1973 FJ40 to be driven around town, mild wheeling, and hopefully presented to Relic Run in a year or two. Skinny pizza cutter wheels.

What lift kit brand should I be focusing on? I have tons of stock springs in the back yard right now I could build something with but I just want a fit and forget approach To the suspension. Looking at 2” lift for 31” tire. Ironman has some for $1100 shipped. Rough Country only has 4” lift for $700. OME is double both those. Any recommendations based on current experience?

It’s been a long time since I owned my 40 but I ran 33x9.50’s with no lift. Never rubbed at all even wheeling so you might not need a lift. Of course if you just want it lifted that’s understandable.

Nobody offers 33x9.5 anymore. A 2” lift will fit 33’s. A 4” lift will fit 35’s. My vote…spring over with what you’ve got and 37’s👹

Want lift. So much want. Buddy just said that the shocks are what makes the ride softer. So I guess I am looking at a 2.5 lift and then some shocks that will soften the ride.

Dave, go big or go home. Not this time around. WTF is going to kill me one way or another.

Dave, go big or go home. Not this time around. WTF is going to kill me one way or another.
With many manufacturers, the difference between a 2” and a 4” lift is all in the shackles. Springs appear to be the same either way. The rub with several of the cheaper springs is that their eye to eye length is too short and your shackle angles suffer. On my latest 40, I decided to go with OME because I knew they were the correct length. I have Pro-Comps on the 55 and they were too short. I ended up having to Jack hammer the shackle hangers, reposition and re-weld them to get the angles right. Same story with the Crockpot…cheap springs were too short. On that one, I had to remove leaves to get better angles and flex. OME costs more but worth it IMO.

I will call the dealer tomorrow for OME. Pro Comp is definitely cheaper. Dobinson is at $1100 just for the shackles, springs, and steering dampener. Yikes, this got out of hand really quick.

Set a request to Alcan via email.

Set a request to Alcan via email.
Forrest and I helped David Miller @FJinTegaCay put a Dobinson lift on his 40. It was a quality lift. Good shackle angles and easy install. I think he’s been happy with it. If Dobinson is significantly cheaper than OME, get that one. It’s good. Miller has those fancy Cityracer 16’s and Yokohama MT33x10.50 tires and, man, that setup looks fantastic.

No experience with the Ironman lift for FJ40.

Last edited:
Or do they...?

Well I’ll be damned! I guess somebody did start making that size again! Hold on. Wait a minute. There is no way in Hell that anybody in their right mind would pay $292 each for Chinese off brand Kenda Klever tires. I sure wouldn’t.

Ok. 33” yokohama MT is where I will be going eventually, unless Toyo drops their prices a little. Sarah deserved a delicious dinner, it was worth the splurge.

@bhsdriller procomp is by far the cheapest option. Shocks and everything are $850 (approximately) shipped. Then its on to shackles.

Check procomp, didn't want to pay for ome....happy with it.
Shocks are ok could upgrade and still come out cheaper
Got any pics of your front / rear shackles? Looking specifically at shackle angles as installed with the Pro-Comp lift.

Should be able to see them there. Just basic stock length shackles from cruiser outfitters.

20220109_103806_HDR.jpg

20220109_103817_HDR.jpg

Alcan is at $1700 for springs only. If only I hadn’t splurged for Sarah’s dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom