Opinions? 80 or 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mehbohdi

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a 95-97 FJ80 or a 01 or newer 100. I'm partial to 80 series but I did own a 05 Tacoma and did like the way it drove, I have owned quite a few solid front axle 4wd's, still own and drive 01 dodge diesel every day for work. This is a toy for me not DD, camping some off road, some freeway trips to Arizona to see Mom. My last toy was a 01 Jeep TJ just got tired of how rough a ride it is and how much I don't like driving it on freeway. I guess the real question is the V8 worth it, and how much more would I spend to lift a 100 compared to and 80 (I only want to lift it 2-3 inches with springs no blocks or spacers). I'm not a fan of real big tires maybe 255/85R 16 or 285/75R 16. Pro and Cons for both all info is helpful. I will do most if not all work on what ever I get. Thanks for input

I think @zona summed it up pretty well..."If you're the kind that showers everyday go for the 100. If you think dirt on your shoes means you need new shoes go for the 100. If you haven't camped since 1982 go for the 100. If you can't grow a beard go for the 100. If you own a Tommy Bahama shirt go for the 100. If your arms don't fill out your polo go for the 100. If you prefer tea over beer go for the 100. If you wear gloves whilst driving your Miata go for the 100. If your food can't touch the other food go for the 100. If you get Starbucks giftcards go for the 100. If your golf handicap is less than 25 go for the 100. If you wanted to be a cowboy as a kid...the 80"!

Zona

retro: Been lurking for awhile, thanks.
ewillis: I'm still partial to the 80, and I don't qualify for any of those, so I guess I'm a cowboy

We have both in our family. The 100 on the road, winner hands down. Off the road, I prefer the 80. Now, it takes more $$$ to make off road worthy for the 100 than the 80. I believe the 100 don't comes with factory lockers, the 80 does. It depends what is going to be used for.

If I was doing it again, I'd go with the 100. I don't think I've tackled anything with my 80 that the 100 wouldn't do and do a lot more comfortably, and with more power ! The 80 will certainly outperform if you plan on doing rock parks and crazy trails but I think the 100 would be up to most tasks.

Probably the biggest issue with buying an 80 is that you're now looking at a 20-year-old truck. Even if you do the work yourself there will be a hefty investment in parts to go through it. Radiator, HG , front axle rebuild, etc. Unless you can find something with all that documented. As far as ride is concerned my 80 is the smoothest, most comfortable F/R live axle vehicle I've ever been in. I don't know what kind of suspension geometry sorcery Mr. Toyota used but even lifted with 33's it drives nicer than the vast majority of IFS trucks. It's a joy to drive down the highway. A 100 must be incredible. I do occasionally wish for the 100's power too. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with either one though. The quickest way to choose would be the AC/DC Singer Preference Test. Brian Johnson=100. Bon Scott=80.

This is the 80 section, don't be surprised if you get more 80 answers to your personal question. This article I found interesting, may help you think it through.

Evolution of an Icon

Last edited:
Mr T used his Noggin In every capacity In regards to the 80 Series. After that he was pressured by the feminine overthrough of the auto Industry. After the 80s they all start to look and act the same, another SUV. IMHO ! :)

80's are the last of a dead breed and they truly are outstanding vehicles. After the 80 the Landcruiser gets bland. Does the 100 have enough extra power to make as much difference in your life as driving a man's truck would? 80 all the way.

80's are the last of a dead breed and they truly are outstanding vehicles. After the 80 the Landcruiser gets bland. Does the 100 have enough extra power to make as much difference in your life as driving a man's truck would? 80 all the way.
It does make a difference, the v8 has plenty power...

after i-force was added ^. The pre i-force (variable valve timing) 4.7 was anemic.

I had one (02 5spd) and didn't think it was that much better than my 94' 80 at the time.

It does make a difference, the v8 has plenty power...
This is where subjectivity blurs the vision. I also thought my 1975 FJ40 had plenty of power and I think my 4.88 geared 80 series has plenty of power to do what I want it to do.
The OP just needs to test drive a few different examples of both models because not all birds of a feather fly as well as others even though they flock together and look alike.

This is the 80 section,most don't be surprised if you get more 80 answers to your personal question. This article I found interesting, may help you think no through it.

Evolution of an Icon
Thanks for the link, I fell down the rabbit hole for half an hour link by link lots of good info

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a 95-97 FJ80 or a 01 or newer 100. I'm partial to 80 series but I did own a 05 Tacoma and did like the way it drove, I have owned quite a few solid front axle 4wd's, still own and drive 01 dodge diesel every day for work. This is a toy for me not DD, camping some off road, some freeway trips to Arizona to see Mom. My last toy was a 01 Jeep TJ just got tired of how rough a ride it is and how much I don't like driving it on freeway. I guess the real question is the V8 worth it, and how much more would I spend to lift a 100 compared to and 80 (I only want to lift it 2-3 inches with springs no blocks or spacers). I'm not a fan of real big tires maybe 255/85R 16 or 285/75R 16. Pro and Cons for both all info is helpful. I will do most if not all work on what ever I get. Thanks for input

Here's the biggest "CON" to owning an 80--you're expected to know what you're doing when you go off-road. The "Pro" for owning a 100--nobody expects a 100 owner to know how to offroad. i think it's fair statement to say I expect all 100 owners to be wearing Paddington Bear pajamas and start eating uncrustables out of a fanny pack.

Zona

Here's the biggest "CON" to owning an 80--you're expected to know what you're doing when you go off-road. The "Pro" for owning a 100--nobody expects a 100 owner to know how to offroad. i think it's fair statement to say I expect all 100 owners to be wearing Paddington Bear pajamas and start eating uncrustables out of a fanny pack.

Zona
And even if you don't know what you are doing, a fully locked and loaded 80 will make you look like you do. ;)

Buy a newer 4Runner. It'll be plenty capable for your highest trips and driving on gravel. 99% of people will think it's cool. The other 1% own 80 Series Land Cruisers. :flipoff2:

Zona
You are now anointed Poet Laureate of the 80 board, now go to the 100 board and represent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom