opinions 71 & 74 better parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserjunktion

Cruiserjunktion@gmail.com
GOLD Star
Threads
yellow,

Besides the tranny, what 74 parts would you upgrade a 71 with.

My new 71 showed up today, it was shipped from cali to fla in 8 days.
Driver said entire truck load was goin' from cali to fla.

The 71s drivetrain and body are GREAT.......sans a lil pull while stopping & a loose hub.

I have a 74 with 73k miles. Great running gear, rust here and there and there and here and there and there and here and there.

mel

Last edited:
if it aint broke, dont fix it. I would swap in a 2F and 4speed (or 5 speed :grinpimp: )

wngrog, in the pics both have rollbars, the 71 has the top off :flipoff2:

74 has a high compression head that makes quite a difference from the older F's. All other things being equal (engine wise) you will notice the difference. 74 also has better oiling for the long haul.

I don't think the engine is any higher compression unless you throw the head on a 2F. Does have better oiling though.

Steering is a bit better, particularly if you upgrade to mini-trck power steering.

4spd transmission, of course. Looks like its already a floorshift transfer, most people prefer that swap as well.

Does the 71 have power brakes? I can't remember the cutoff there.

Some of this stuff has probably been done already. Looks like the bench seat has already been replaced.

You'll need the 4spd bellhousing. You can use either the 3spd or 4spd clutch components, but everything must be used together, including the matching flywheel.

You'll also need the transfer case from the 4spd.

Once installed you'll need to cut the transmission cover because the 4spdshifter is located differently.

Definitely do a search, as this has been covered a bunch.

The '74 might also have the "transition" transfer case...

Hi All:

Sheesh! Keep that nice '71 as a daily driver and chop the '74 and turn it into a monster 'wheeler! ;)

I'm just completing a swap of a '68 body tub onto a '74 chasis - it is interesting to see the two body types side by side.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Wow, it's really true what they say about 'buy the car, get the girl!' :D

If the 71 engine is good, run with it and just convert the tranny. If the 71 motor is tired and the 74 is good, swap them both. Definitely keep the 71 sheetmetal together. It's way better overall.

Don't try the steering swap. Not worth it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom