Opinion wanted: JDM Mitsubishi Strada L200 in the USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How would one feel about owning the ONLY Mitsubishi Strada L200 pickup in the USA? There is a JDM one on eBay currently and it looks to be in pretty good shape overall. Seller sent a video and it sounds good. Being that I have just sold my daily driver JDM Land Cruiser HJ61, I was considering it as my next vehicle. Here is the listing: 1980 Mitsubishi Other Strada/L200/mighty max | eBay

My main concern is that because it's the only one that I know of in the USA, finding parts for it will be hard if not impossible, making working on it very hard/annoying. Mitsubishi doesn't seem to have the same online parts system that Toyota does (Correct me if I am wrong). I could find/order basically anything for my JDM Land Cruiser, but IDK about this truck much. Plus basically every dealership I have emailed or called either blows me off by not responding to my emails or straight up says they won't touch it. Most Mitsubishi mechanics at the dealerships haven't touched a diesel because they were never offered here much. Except the Fuso and some Monteros/2 door pickups in the 80's. Which all used different engines than the L200. Seller said call a Mercedes diesel shop, but I don't want to burden them with a vehicle they have never heard of, much less even seen before.

I can see this lack of support for these vehicles being very problematic if something ever goes wrong with the 4d56 turbo diesel, and knowing just how long/difficult it can take to source parts from overseas, it has sounded less and less appealing to own this truck. It's been parked on craigslist for months and listed on eBay twice now. Price was previously 12,000, which was too high IMHO. Now down to 10,000 OBO, which is a better price, but not great.

What is your opinion on owning a L200 turbo diesel like this? Consider I am the average dude, with average tools, and maybe only slightly above average mechanical ability. I probably could do basic repairs, but what IF something went wrong like a snapped timing belt that lead to bent valves? I think I'd be screwed and have a $10,000 heap. All opinions are wanted and welcome on this! If not, free advertising for the dude selling it. Which is fine too b/c I think he could use it at this point. Lol

Thanks ih8mud!