Opinion. Should I buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1997 lx450 with lockers
260k miles
$5000

Have all service records from Lexus new up till 212k. Head gasket replaced at 240k. Does not smoke or overheat. Just a small oil leak. Ac blows ice cold. Spent all its life in Pensacola and mobile. No rust. Front seats recovered. Interior looks nice. No rips or cracks in dash. The miles worry me a bit. Not going to be my dd. I can turn wrenches. Thanks for your help.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

In May I purchased my 98 100 one-owner 125k with all Lexus service records for $7700. Done with baseline maintenance. Wife gave me the ok for 80 series but purchase is $5000 tops.
image.jpg

Give 'em $4,500 and use the other $500 to fix the oil leak and change all the fluids.

X2^

Ty for the replies. He's firm on the price. Nothing is certain, I understand that. Would you guys be scared of the miles given all factors I listed? Lexus has literally services everything on truck for 212k miles.

Get the clamp back on the throttle body heater line or It will leak so slow you'll over heat and not see It coming. If H/G was done with toyota parts, and those service records, your doing better than most. You most likely have more oil leaks than you think. Lex and Toyota neither one does ft main and oil pump cover gasket as routine maint. Some do dizzy O-ring cause thats MUCH easier. The underbelly will be covered In dried and wet oil for most of the truck. It looks nice for 5K from what I see.. Good Luck..!

Last edited:
Also the last major services at Lexus

174k- egr system replaced and vcv.
221k- ac system serviced
- all belts , fluids changed. And a 15k service performed.

Only thing that doesn't work is front seats do not move forward and backwards. And the antenna. Everything else including electronics work as intended.

Get the clamp back on the throttle body heater line or It will leak so slow you'll over heat and not see It coming. If H/G was done with toyota parts, and those service records, your doing better than most.
I have to pick up Sunday in Pensacola and drive back to Raleigh nc. With what u suggested, think I'll be fine?

seat sliding gear replacements can be bought from gamiviti.com Gamiviti seat repair parts

antenna can be had from Toyota for some ~$30

to the original poster: what exactly are you concerned about ?

inspect it and test drive it - if you like it, buy - if you don't like it, don't buy - if it's too far away for you to bother to inspect: don't buy - alternatively: get someone close to there to inspect it for you and hope you got the scoop, then buy or don't buy - no guarantees either way - it's an almost 20-year old truck :doh:

and, quite frankly, if you can't pay for it yourself but have to ask the wife for the money, you shouldn't buy it

Last edited:
seat sliding gear replacements can be bought from gamiviti.com Gamiviti seat repair parts

to the original poster: what exactly are you concerned about ?

inspect it and test drive it - if you like it, buy - if you don't like it, don't buy - if it's too far away for you to bother to inspect: don't buy - alternatively: get someone close to there to inspect it for you and hope you got the scoop, then buy or don't buy - no guarantees either way - it's an almost 20-year old truck :doh:

and, quite frankly, if you can't pay for it yourself but have to ask the wife for the money, you shouldn't buy it
Mainly just the high mileage is my concern. As far as me asking the wife if she minds if I (my money) buy it. It's a respect thing bubba.

When cold make sure radiator is full, before you leave. I see no sign of leaking now but It happens when hot under pressure slowly. You can see the pressure clamp in your pic just below the ground bolt on your front engine lift bracket hanging on the small metal coolant line before the hose it goes on. You will be fine most likely, but 30 sec. job to put on with pliers. Hope this helps..! you will have lots to do If you make it like new.

somebody just had to say it, might as well be me

When cold make sure radiator is full, before you leave. I see no sign of leaking now but It happens when hot under pressure slowly. You can see the pressure clamp in your pic just below the ground bolt on your front engine lift bracket hanging on the small metal coolant line before the hose it goes on. You will be fine most likely, but 30 sec. job to put on with pliers. Hope this helps..! you will have lots to do If you make it like new.
Thanks for the advice. Good eyes on the clamp. My goal is to semi restore it over the next few years. Just want a good base to start with. I understand it's going to be another $6000 to get mechanically sound. Always wanted an 80 series, and ready to take on this project!

and quite frankly, from the looks of it, I bet you can keep it well under 6K in additional spending

I got our LX two years ago and haven't even spent 1K since on maintenance :meh: - wheeling it several times since and a great trip to some pretty remote places with my brother have been priceless :steer:

One more thing, If you are concerned if this Is the smart move financially, you should be. These things cost money to get back to good shape. I bought my 95 nearly 2 yrs. ago for 5K no lockers, no rust, frame is amazing. I have done all the work and have some mods. I built new ARB lockers ft. and rear, and much more. people say It looks new when I pop the hood. My point is Its Expensive and Im not done, I am at 22,500. right now On this rig. I know you do not have to do these things, but most of us want to. So I anm pleased to see you have been considerate In you decission. Good Luck !

Do you have the records of the head gasket being replaced? Who replaced it?

pics don't look like the head gasket was done - and why should it if there was no problem to begin with - neither our 80 nor the LX needed a new headgasket :meh:

Just bought the same rig last weekend. I chuckle as you keep asking about mileage.....mine has 380K (do not base a purchase of these vehicles on mileage alone). I will tell you from experience check the drive belts thoroughly!! Paid for my rig on Friday and spent three hours swapping out belts on Saturday after my belts busted a mile away from the transaction. Thought I was in the clear until later that day my throttle body coolant hose busted. I wouldn't wish swapping out this hose on my worst enemy but being 4.5 hours away from home I had to do it. Finally made it home Sunday night.

Spent today having all fluids changed. Tomorrow is PHH and throttle body gasket day. Overall condition of my rig is great (carpet needs cleaning!!). You're likely to find gremlins once you get it home. But the key is getting back home. Take a buddy....you might need help wrenching.

Rig looks really good though and I love mine. If he has receipts offer 4500.....if not offer 4000. Dont be a motivated buyer; find a motivated seller. And if you need help we're all here. I had plenty of help from the experts on this board last weekend for sure!

pics don't look like the head gasket was done - and why should it if there was no problem to begin with - neither our 80 nor the LX needed a new headgasket :meh:

I had to go back and look because, well, I have a 3FE and have only heard of a couple HG going on 3FEs. But now that you mention it, it sure doesn't. Is that FIPG being squeezed out from under the valve cover? Also, after looking at it the oil cap seem suspiciously clean compared to everything else. Gives me an uneasy feeling. Maybe they replaced the oil cap when they did the HG, would make sense to do so. But I would want to see the records from the mechanic that did it. Did the head have to be machined? How much? I don't know the 1FZ-FE as well as others but there is A LOT to consider when it comes to a HG job and WHY did the HG blow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom