Opinion please on Twin Turbo 2H idea. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping to get an opinion on this idea I had.

Install two turbos on the 2H, one on cylinders 1, 2, 3, the second on 4, 5, 6.

Turbos to use would be the KKK K14 off the 1.9L AAZ Turbo Diesel VW engine (since I have one alrady), or possibly the smaller K03 if it is a better match.

Can someone please comment on this.

Chris

Last edited:
Why not a single turbo? Just curious. Check my build thread in my sig. for my home brew system. Cured the gutlessness I was dealing with.

It might be more of an academic exercise but the reason for two is two reduce the exhaust valve overlap like is done with a twin scroll. Maybe the small units will spool faster as well?
Also that they are small and I think I can fit them in places I have in the engine bay, plus I already have one.

I'm hoping someone with more experience than I have (none) will let me know on the suitability of the twin K14 on the 2H. I'm just basing it on the fact that VW used them on a 1.9L and I have a 4L. The AAZ engine was operating at a good boost range for my 2H goals.

I can say after building many turbo set ups your not choosing an easy path to take. Two small turbos and their plumbing will not take up less space than one larger turbo. Quite the opposite actually. If you have a hankering for optimizing your banks exhaust flow consider a td05-16G-9.8t. probably the closest fit twin scroll for you that comes in a stock package in one piece. A better all round would be a td04hl-19t-8.5 which is also twin scroll but you would have to piece it together. Be careful if you buy the td05 as they come off of Evos and typical live a hard tortuous life with lots of abuse and not much love. I've bought used ones where only the turbine housing was able to be salvaged. No idea how the thing didn't explode.

I trust your judgement on the overall volume of the installation. It will depend on what I can fit. I have hydroboost, the 2H is in a 40 so the steering (saginaw) sort of goes right through the best area for the turbo (think 12HT location) and I have a snorkel on the left plumbed over to the right to an OEM 60 series filter. Lots of stuff in the way.

Any ideas if the K14's would work decently?

20200701_124559.jpg
20200701_124931.jpg
20200701_124616.jpg
20200703_153057.jpg
20200704_141549.jpg

Hey mate I'm into the build your thinking about already..... 1jz gte twin turbo set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom