opinion on wall thickness: .049 for rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Building a canopy/cab rack for my Tundra looking at 1" .049 wall square tube with weld on prefabbed corners. Over the cab I'm using some Yakima Q towers and fabbing plates that will be bolted through my canopy.

This will be used primarily for hauling small loads of lumber 100-200 lbs, then camping gear and random items. I want to keep it light and low profile. I will probably run at least 5 crossmembers and gusset the corners, do you all think .049 is strong enough? about 1/16th...

drew it in yellow, sorry for the crappy MSpaint.

any word on mounting it to the canopy? was thinking a mounting plate, two bolts and a rubber gasket on inside and out. Then loose fitting it on my Yakima bars so the cab and bed wouldn't twist it apart.

thanks.
tundrarack.JPG

That's gonna shred something if you tie the cab and bed together. You'd be better off staying on the cap and letting stuff hang over the cab, maybe shim it up if you're worried about the cargo flexing down and hitting the cab. Or put an independent bar on the cab for support only, don't tie to it. I'm not just worried about the fiberglass; even if it was all steel something would have to give when the cab and bed flex.

funny you say this, I just picked up a Yakima Q tower to run over the cab, then do an independent canopy rack, exactly what you advised.

raw steel is in the garage, will post pics when done.

Thanks.

I would go with the 16 ga (1/16"). Even that might be a little small depending on the geometry. I know I can bend a 3 foot section with 200 lbs. I doubt that you will be loading a rack that heavy.

I would go with the 16 ga (1/16"). Even that might be a little small depending on the geometry. I know I can bend a 3 foot section with 200 lbs. I doubt that you will be loading a rack that heavy.

x2 on maybe even thicker than 16ga good luck

Other than i am gonna run your tags, i got nothing.

come on over, test out my tiger trap. then I can chain you to my radiator and we can talk 60 series as I destroy everything you ever loved and make you watch.

thanks for the compliment, it means a lot coming from you.

they're my 60 series steelies painted dark gray, 33x10.5 BFG ATs with a 1.5" billett spacer. I leveled the front with Bilstein 5100s on the 4th notch. I bought some LX450 rims for the 62, that are going two tone gray and black.

attachment.php

Nice work - I like the low-profile look, something I want to do on my 80.

Nice rack.

(I love that statement)

Good job!!

I think I would weld up a jr. model for the top of the truck....just keep them separated as I think as one unit it would tear it self apart.

I like the look:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom