Opinion on undercarriage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

New to the forum. I'm currently shopping for a 200 series (LC or LX570 2010-2015). I came across a 2011 that seems to be in decent shape with 75k miles. Owner sent me a couple underbody pics but appears to have been coated (looks like spray paint?). Not the greatest pics but any red flags you guys can spot here? Anything I should be watching out for? Thanks
received_702022364065513.jpeg
received_798118914084738.jpeg
received_1542126659319870.jpeg

Those areas that are bubbly under the paint are signs of just rattle canning over rust to me..

This area is probably a better depiction of how much rust is actually under the makeup
Screenshot_20201129-120419_Chrome.jpg

Undercarriage rust gets debated here all the time. How people view it is highly influenced by there location. If you are from the northern rust belt, you generally have a little more tolerance for surface rust. I’m from the north so that’s my perspective.

In this situation, I’d be a little leery of a recent spray paint job. I’d much rather see the rust so I could actually render my own opinion. From the pics, it seems the paint job was thick This could be because the painter lacked skill and patience or because he was trying to cover over ugly. The drips and obvious corrosion blisters painted over are concerning. Not only from a “how bad is the rust really” point of view but if a guy is just rattle canning over rust to sell his vehicle, want else is he masking over? I’d ask a lot of questions on the phone or face to face if possible to learn more about what he did and to assess the honesty of the seller. The photos are a red flag to me. Might be ok, but warrants more questions.

Thanks guys, helpful commentary. I asked the owner about this and he said he bought the car like this (carfax says he owned it for 2.5 years) but seems like this was a recent spray job based on popular opinion. Maybe he didn't want to admit he did this to cover up the actual condition of the car. I don't think I can accurately gauge the underbody of the car as is especially without before pics.

That spray paint will come off after driving the truck. You would want to wire brush the surface and reapply yearly.

A rattle can solution would not be a good solution IMO. It would need wire brushing and reapplication annually. If I were to try to “fix” and stop surface, I’d go with something like POR-15. Not cheap but that stuff is bullet proof. I used it on carbon steel dock components some of which are underwater or are at the water surface and are continually wetted and dried as the lake level changes. 12 years later and no rust or oxidation. It’s like liquid stainless steel.

Last edited:
The current owner definitely did not buy the truck like that 2.5 years ago. That's very recent paint. The fact he lied about that is a big red flag on the purchase, IMHO. Further, @afgman786 spotted the real problem; hidden major rust. This was just a cheap-out rattle-can job to sell it. Also, paint or undercoating without treating the underlying rust is a no-no because the rust will continue damage under the paint. Unless you can get eyeballs on it yourself, skip this one (and I'm one of the rust-tolerant members on Mud!).

The current owner definitely did not buy the truck like that 2.5 years ago. That's very recent paint. The fact he lied about that is a big red flag on the purchase, IMHO. Further, @afgman786 spotted the real problem; hidden major rust. This was just a cheap-out rattle-can job to sell it. Also, paint or undercoating without treating the underlying rust is a no-no because the rust will continue damage under the paint. Unless you can get eyeballs on it yourself, skip this one (and I'm one of the rust-tolerant members on Mud!).
I agree with all of this.

Ugh.
Seems pretty clear he’s not being truthful here. I’d probably call him on it.

-Not only rust bumps, but painted so heavily that the paint was apparently DRIPPING as it dried.

2.5 years doesn’t look like that.

Last edited:
That kinda looks like the "Rustoration" service offered up the road from me: Rustoration Rust Converter | NH Oil Undercoating

But I agree, there's no way that was on there 2.5 years ago. Just look at the rust on the exhaust! Something's fishy here, I'd probably pass.

Run - Looks like an LX, and you don't want to deal with rusty hydraulic lines. You might be okay in an LC, but that all looks very questionable. There are many other fish in the sea....keep casting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom