Opinion on finish for 60 series center console (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So say you've got a bare metal, aftermarket center console in your 60 or 62 (Tuffy, Smitty, etc.) that you had your choice of powdercoat color and texture, what texture would you choose? A hammered look, basic rough-ish texture, or a smooth texture (which I think would match the dash and original console, aside from the original's lid). I have an idea what I want, but am curious what others would do.

So say you've got a bare metal, aftermarket center console in your 60 or 62 (Tuffy, Smitty, etc.) that you had your choice of powdercoat color and texture, what texture would you choose? A hammered look, basic rough-ish texture, or a smooth texture (which I think would match the dash and original console, aside from the original's lid). I have an idea what I want, but am curious what others would do.
I know it’s not even close to factory, but I’ve always loved hammered paint. My dad has tool cabinets and table saws and whatnot hammer painted from the days of old. Love that look. Tough too.

I make custom guitar pedals from time to time. Over the years I’ve struggled to find an easy finish that would withstand foot stomps and touring on the road. My favorite finish is regular old spray paint with very fine sand (like you find in saltwater tanks) sprinkled in. It’s what they used for those steel army helmets from wwii and nam.

Spray a coat of color and lightly sprinkle sand into the wet paint. Let it dry and repeat until you get your desired texture. Clear coat on top of that with gloss or matt.
B4F916F5-BADA-441B-BFEA-D3E530C1A9CA.jpeg

Never mind the text....

I'm in a similar situation with a Tuffy console. I think I'm just gonna paint it satin black and have the lid reupholstered to match the blue interior on my truck. Curious to hear what you had in mind.

Don't want too much texture. It'd be hard to clean. If using powdercoat, the basic semi-rough texture of the powdercoat is perfect.

Don't want too much texture. It'd be hard to clean. If using powdercoat, the basic semi-rough texture of the powdercoat is perfect.
That's what I'm leaning towards for the lid. I'm going to soak it in solvent to remove the old coat, TIG weld a skirting for it to give it a more factory look and surround the rear heater, smooth coat the console and cup holder, and rough coat the lid. At least that's the plan, and I'm really hoping to have it completed and back in before next Spring.

There was a color from Rustoleum and it was nearly an exact match to my dash. I popped off my glovebox cover and took it into the hardware store to find the closest match. Still undecided about the armrest padding color - I'll probably decide when I finally get around to reupholstering (between finding a replacement OEM bottom cover or YOLOing on Mosely Motors heated & cooled leather kit).

IMG_1603.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom