Opinion on 96 LC front axel knuckle condition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure how much folks can tell just from pictures but looking for an expert opinion on the condition of the front knuckles on my ‘96 LC - 190k miles. Truck sat for several years ...I’ve driven a few miles since engine baseline but that’s it. Not sure if it’s seepage from years of sitting or just needs a good knuckle overhaul.

Drivers side is not as wet as the passenger side. Going to order the knuckle rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters just for my sanity.

Any expert insight is greatly appreciated!

28351E36-E344-4FB7-9C92-807337AC37DC.jpeg

4B500520-6B1F-46B2-9175-0B5C8DDCD83C.jpeg

Not sure how much folks can tell just from pictures but looking for an expert opinion on the condition of the front knuckles on my ‘96 LC - 190k miles. Truck sat for several years ...I’ve driven a few miles since engine baseline but that’s it. Not sure if it’s seepage from years of sitting or just needs a good knuckle overhaul.

Drivers side is not as wet as the passenger side. Going to order the knuckle rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters just for my sanity.

Any expert insight is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 2398042

View attachment 2398043
No clicking and no issues felt, heard, etc when driving and turning both sharp left circles and sharp right circles.

Looks like the seals might have failed, but since it sat and is old and crusty, a little hard to tell. In your first pic, there is a square-headed plug visible at about the 1 o'clock position. Open that up and peer inside to see what level fluid is in the knuckle. If it's OK, i.e. about half full or better, then at least it was lubed, although it's probably a mix of moly and gear lube now due to the failed seal. That at least keeps the birf covered and less likely to have rust or other issues from sitting. The fact you're not get any noises out of it is a good sign. In any case, the kit is what you need to set things straight. Swapping birfs side-to-side at this point should get you some more life from them when you do the service with the kit.

Looks like the seals might have failed, but since it sat and is old and crusty, a little hard to tell. In your first pic, there is a square-headed plug visible at about the 1 o'clock position. Open that up and peer inside to see what level fluid is in the knuckle. If it's OK, i.e. about half full or better, then at least it was lubed, although it's probably a mix of moly and gear lube now due to the failed seal. That at least keeps the birf covered and less likely to have rust or other issues from sitting. The fact you're not get any noises out of it is a good sign. In any case, the kit is what you need to set things straight. Swapping birfs side-to-side at this point should get you some more life from them when you do the service with the kit.
Would you recommend doIng the wheel bearings as well?

Would you recommend doIng the wheel bearings as well?

Yeah, when you don't know the history and you're sure it's been sitting idle, neither is a good indicator for skimping on a full refresh. If you go to all the trouble, you want to be certain all the potential issues are addressed to the best of your ability. It's good for your peace of mind as well as your truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom