Opinion on 1kz turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi good morning

I have 1kz mech pump and im thinking of swapping out my stock ct12b to a brand new mitsubishi "td04hl-15g-8-5" turbo.

There is a post in kinugawa's website that they use "td05-16g fast spool" for the 1kz.

Im asking for opinion if i take the td04-15g or td05-16g? Or can you guys recommend me a different turbo?

Thank you and have a great day

So it all depends on your turbo goals. Low rpm response.... High rpm power....do you want a comprimise between the two? What boost and power are you shooting for? What can your motor handle is a better question.

A "fast spool" tdo5 is like me telling you I've got 40 inch tires for sale for your truck that are designed for "fast accelleration".
It is an oxymoron.
It is an overly large turbo with a catchy appealing sales term attached to it.
It is at best an ignorant uneducated sales pitch.
At its worst it is an intentional deception.
The td04- hl with an 8.5 housing is too large to be responsive but would breath much better at high rpms outside of the normal every day driving range.

the 15g is an ok compressor but a strange one to pick. There are better ones that can suit both low and high boost and be responsive for your engine displacement and cover your operating range.
The 13t, 16t and 19t come to mind.
All can do upwards of 30lbs of boost but the larger the compressor the slower it will be to respond but the higher in the rpm range it can operate.
Very true of the turbine. Td04l on the smaller more responsive side and the hl on the larger side.
For the L turbine 5cm for very responsive (low rpm) to 6cm suitable for every day driving
For hl 5cm for average response and 6cm for higher rpm range.
Compressors also have to be properly matched to a turbine which drives them.
The td04l can run the 13t and the 16t well
The td04hl can run all of them.

Salesmen sell stuff. remember they will do what it takes to achieve it.
Always asume all subjective performance descriptions are incorrect.
When you talk with them remember your talking to a sales person. They could very well have no clue how a turbo actually works let alone slight variations to maximise it performance, or even if it is remotely suitable for your engine.

Way too big for anything except a dyno queen. TD04HL-19T with a 6cm housing will do nicely. Some of the smaller compressor wheels will also do well but the 19T does better for surge than most of them.

How would a twinscroll 8.5cm housing (used with a divided manifold) compare to a smaller (5 or 6cm) regular housing? Would the the twinscroll be able to spool up just as easily at low rpm, but have less emp at high rpms?

And does the twinscroll require a different turbine wheel?

How would a twinscroll 8.5cm housing (used with a divided manifold) compare to a smaller (5 or 6cm) regular housing? Would the the twinscroll be able to spool up just as easily at low rpm, but have less emp at high rpms?

And does the twinscroll require a different turbine wheel?

Twinscroll requires a divided exhaust manifold. Which can work okay on 6 cylinder but not on a 4. Best you can do on a 4 is combining 2-3 and 1-4 cylinders. But then into the same collector.

It might let you go from a 5-6 or 6-7 but I wouldn't expect to get the same results from 8.5cm. I think I have a TD04HL 8.5cm housing though.

You have to run them to a joined collector due to the difference in length you'd end up with? So if you could route 2 and 3 to have the same length as 1+4, could you then run true twin scroll?

I've read that td04hl housings are interchangeable with the holset he221w. The 8.5cm seems to be the only twinscroll housing for either turbo. I've got the 5.5cm housing on my holset, it performs great but i can't help but think about possibilities that might be better. Would the 8.5 twinscroll be too big to ever match the 5.5 down low even with a perfect manifold?

What other turbos are similar in size and performance (spool quickly from low rpm but still able to run at high rpm) to the td04hl and he221? Do any have twinscroll options with smaller housings?

You have to run them to a joined collector due to the difference in length you'd end up with? So if you could route 2 and 3 to have the same length as 1+4, could you then run true twin scroll?

I've read that td04hl housings are interchangeable with the holset he221w. The 8.5cm seems to be the only twinscroll housing for either turbo. I've got the 5.5cm housing on my holset, it performs great but i can't help but think about possibilities that might be better. Would the 8.5 twinscroll be too big to ever match the 5.5 down low even with a perfect manifold?

What other turbos are similar in size and performance (spool quickly from low rpm but still able to run at high rpm) to the td04hl and he221? Do any have twinscroll options with smaller housings?

Yes 4-2 with 1-4 and 2-3 joining to each side of the split housing.

I haven't found anything better non VNT than HE221 and TD04HL-19T. The 19T is more efficient but limited in boost to PR3 (30psi at sealevel). The HE221 can do more boost but is less efficient.

The Toyota CT12B is also a TD04 based turbo. But the wheels are a Toyota only size. My D-Max has a VNT TD04 but I haven't confirmed wheel sizes. It pulls clean from 1000rpm. 430Nm and 130kw. It's a smaller turbo than the 2.8 used in the Holden Colorado. The result is better low end response but not as much top-end power. It's all about managing compromises.

Try it and let us know.

Compound is the no compromise solution.

It's a lot of fab work to make the twinscroll manifold, if our best guess is that the 8.5 housing is too big and would lose low rpm spool. I suppose the logical first step would be to try a bigger housing with the regular manifold, and if spool up wasn't too severely affected then it might be worth fabbing the divided manny :hmm: Maybe a project for the summer, and long productive evenings after work.

There is a td04l twin scroll turbine housing. It's an 8.5cm but for an L turbine. Quite a bit smaller than an HL turbine. Still in the td04 family so can run all the same compressors.

Twin scroll manifold on a 4cylinder is possible. I've made three over the years. To say it's more fab work than a usual manifod is a bit of an understatement.

Great thread Gerg. Did you ever get to try the twin scroll 8.5cm td04l, or hear of anyone who did?

10psi @1500 rpm is probably marginally better than the 5.5cm holset, so looks like the td04hl twinscroll is worth doing, will spool up no slower than the holset but probably give better emp...

I bought the L twin scroll cus I thought it looked cool. Never used it. Don't know anyone whose used it. Don't even know which car it came from. Took like 25hrs of work to "try" the first turbo. Would need a really good reason to try a different turbine.
Don't measure power based on boost. The low rpm VE of the twin scroll would have been also improved but would not necessarily be reflected as boost. The truck pulled hard off idle and you never felt the turbo kick in. It was just always there. Very nice feeling torque curve. I suspected the twin scroll manifold bennifit end cylinder filling and emptying by itself even with the turbo off boost. You want more air in and out of the motor. Turbo compressors create positive intake tract pressure. That's it. Really well designed exhaust lets you empty and consequently fill the cylinder properly with those positive vibes.

What did you make your manifold from? Looks like 2" exhaust tube? 2mm wall thickness is strong enough? 12mm for the head flange and 10mm for the turbine flange? I think I'll keep an eye out for a scrap 3b/13b cylinder head, would be the easiest way to fab up a manifold off the truck.

I did a 4" snorkel and airbox last summer, keen for another fab project.
20200604_152624.jpg

That looks cool. I used 1.5" schedule 40 weld els. Had my 1/2" thick flanges plasma cut from a gasket template.Tack your flanges, weld your runners completely first then weld the flanges completely as welding the runners warps and distorts them considerably. You can then cut your tacks, bolt the flanges solid and weld them in. Still will need to sand and true up your flanges but doing it in that order will save you a ton of sanding. Always butting up all your welds tight to each other and having no gaps to allow for much shrinkage helps too. No one likes shrinkage!

looks like im gonna change my engine. from 1kz to 13bt. any suggestions on turbo or should i stay stock? ive read some posts that 13bt has no top end.

looks like im gonna change my engine. from 1kz to 13bt. any suggestions on turbo or should i stay stock? ive read some posts that 13bt has no top end.

Direct injection motors don't like to rev as much as indirect injection. But the 13BT is a superior motor for sure.

CT12B is a good starting turbo for a 13BT. From there you can do better with the more efficient MHI TD04HL turbines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom