OPINION NEEDED - 1997 FzJ80 Update: Sliders, Lift, Bumpers...Oh, MY! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're sticking with 33's then go with a stock height suspension replacement. If the tires rub at all (they shouldn't) or you want just a little more fender clearance for looks consider a 1" body lift.

That said I would still do sliders first. Also living in the PNW I can say there are plenty of tails and fire roads that a mostly stock rig will get you down but you absolutely will drag the running boards over logs, large dirt mounds and some rocks. You will be having a really bad day when you rip off one of those running boards, or crush one, and damage your rocker panel. If you still want the step functionality get a set of flat sliders vs the ones that are tucked up. I built mine flat and never get hung up on them even when attacking the rocks in Moab.

After slider address suspension.

Next I would do the rear bumper. All of the wheeling I have done has shown me you are far more likely to hit your rear bumper on things than the front. I have a swing out but it's definitely in the way a lot. I am running 35's though, and remember dragging that under mount spare all the time, so it's worth the pain of opening it every time to me.

Last would be front bumper for me.

When I bought my 80 I fell into the, if I add anymore weight I’ll be on the bump stops crowd. My springs were worn out from years of soccer mom abuse.
The tires were shot and showing belts so I upgraded to 33s immediately.
The springs were worn the fudge out so I then installed 2” lift springs. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would just install 3” springs and 35s. Since I can’t go back and do it all over, I’ll be installing 3” springs and 37s 😂

Side note:
I do have sliders on order, next will be the front bumper. Then I’ll do new 3” front springs. I do plan on getting into some rocks eventually but not necessarily “rock crawling” I do like the side impact protection of rock sliders on the streets. I’m getting “step rock sliders” so my wife can get in and out of the 80 more easily.

Reading your post my advise would be:
  • 33 inch tires
  • 2” lift springs
  • Caster correction plates (land tank caster plates for 2.5” lift)
  • Eimkieth Rear Panhard correction bracket (multi height bracket 2”-3” and up
  • Then decide what route to go next,

Last edited:
Sliders, suspension, tires, bumpers. My preferred order because all the added weight can be discussed prior with your vendor of choice. If you are adding weight, the crappy harsh ride you get without all the armor will justify a compressed timeline to get everything sooner.

@DirtyPepper
You have alot of great tips already given to you so i will add my experience.
I didn't know what my build plan was at the time when I bought my 80. Besides buying bigger tires for instant ground clearance... I started with the long lead time items (in the order):
Gobi rack 7m wait time
AVID bumpers (front and rears) 5m
White knuckles Sliders 6wks
Rugged Bound drawers 2m
Head Gasket top end refresh 4m
4.88 gears 1m
2" dobinson lift kit 1m
Delta radius arms(lucked out-in stock)

20221107_072713_HDR.jpg

20221105_173236_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread