Opinion : Chevy 350 or 22R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just wondering - what would you guys rather have, and im talking in an '86 toyota pickup. comes with 22R, only i want something with more power. tell me waht you think.

Why limit your choices to just 2 options? Have you considered a 4.3L V6? A buddy of mine has one in his Toy mini and it's got power to spare. Just a thought......:cheers:

Oh and do a search on it........you'll find tons of info.

I'm biased......

3.4l stays toyota, gobs of power, even more when supercharged, not much more weight then a 22r.

4.3 chevy runner I drove was nice, but not as smooth, not as much power as you would think.

I've only driven one 350 toy, engine was slow and made lots of funny noises due to the swaps lack of planning and clearance issuses, it overheated above 90 degrees

I'd go 2.7 4-banger, followed by 3.4, followed by 22re, followed by 5.0 Ford, followed by LT1, followed by nothing.

As far as bang for yer buck and ease of install, I'd build the 22r. Cam it, header, weber carb, new radiator, little bit of head work, and depending on age of motor, a new botttom end, and you have a very reliable motor with plenty of power for the truck. If you run 33s or bigger, you might want to regear.
Hope this helps,
Dan

BTW, it seems that chevy conversion kits have become quite a bit more expensive in the last couple years.

I'd go for a warmed up 22re or a 2.7. Anything more than that will require upgrades to the drivetrain.

I had a 350 in my 1978 Z-28 that I bought new in October 1977 when I was discharged from the army. Even though I changed the oil every 2000 miles I managed to blow the head gasket at 60,000 miles. Plus it needed high test. had the whole thing rebuilt and it went again about 60,000 miles later. My next vehicle was my 1989 Toyota SR5 extended cab pickup 4 x 4 with the infamous 3.0. It is still going strong. Based on my experiences, I'd stick with Toyota. I just had some work done to my Toyota truck -- timing belt, water pump, change all fluids, - and the mechanics could not believe how well it runs...At 164.000 miles it runs like the proverbial top. It has been strickly a weekend vehicle for several years....

I think that choosing between a SBC and a 22R is like chosing between a .22 and a .50 cal. There is a LOT in between there!

The 22R is a good, reliable, torquey little motor but it will never be much of a power house. If you start looking at swaps, you have to look at how much you are willing to spend, your capabilities, and how much of the rest of the drivetrain you want to upgrade.

My truck is the same year as your's, but it came from the factory with a 22RTE turbo motor. No heavier and the motor makes good power, although forced induction can be less reliable, particular if your fuel management isn't up to snuff.

If I was looking to do an engine swap on a truck with a 22R series motor I'd put in a Supra motor, since you can retain the stock transmission and transfer case and do minimal work with the motor mounts. Similarly, if I had a 3.0L powered truck I'd put a 3.4L in since it will bolt up to the R series tranny. The 4.3L is a great off road motor too, lots of off idle torque and they fit well.

Ok, don't listen to me if you don't want, dont matter to me.
BUT. . .
Buy yourself a beat up old cressida (87s a good year) with the 5mge engine in it. It will bolt right in, fit right to your tranny and all you have to do is take the crap out of the car (engine, harness, brain, etc). Now, only problem. Exhast is on the other side, so you'll have to do that work. Look up the specs though, research it online, my brother benefited from my research and is taking the car I bought and using it, I changed out to a FJ60 due to the kid showing up.

Easy swap, extra power, etc. Only thing about going with a 7mge, you will still have to use the 5mge mounts, and the 7s are still more exspensive. (Supra sound familar, same engine but the cressida has a torque cam)

Have fun : )

PS pm me, I'm usually playing in the 60's forum

A buddy mechanic of mine lobbied me to install a 3RZ (2.7L) in my 4Runner. If I didn't alreay have a DOA 22RE I would go that route. Apparently the swap is becoming more common and folks have figured it out. Supposed to be rather easy if you use one of the older motors (1995-2000 or so).

Jon

I've got one mini with a 350 on the road/trail. Been running it for about 3-4 years now. Great all around rig.

I've got another two in the works. I guess that tells you whether I like the combo or not. ;)

I've got two minis with 22REs. With 5.29s they work okay. But when you hit deep mud with big tires, gearing can't relace power.

We've done one 4.3 swap into a mini. Nice power. It's lighter than the V8. Heck, it's lighter than the 3.0. Just as much work and generally more expensive than a 350 swap.

For good simple usable power at a good price you can't beat the V8 route. No matter how you build a 22R(E) you can't match the usable power of a V8. Can you break things with the V8? Sure. But then there's few rigs I could not break somehting on in five minutes if I ust went out and drove it as stupid as I could.

Look at what you want to do with the rig. If rock crawling is your game then you can get all the power you need from the 4cyl. Just gear the heck out of it. If mud, deep water, long steep hills play a part in your travels then the 4cyl is gonna be outmatched.

Mark...

Mark W said:
Heck, it's lighter than the 3.0.

Really? That surprises me considering the iron vs. aluminum content. Who knew? :confused:

I was surprised too. Didn't weight either of them. Don't have a scale that big. ;)

But the 4.3 definitely seemed a little lighter on the hoist, and more obviously the nose of the rig came up once the 4.3 was installed in place of the 3.0.

Mark...

I have an 82 4x4 pick up with a 2000 4.3L Vortec and 4L60E automatic. I installed the engine back in 2000. It had only 5,800 miles on it. I have put over 80k miles on it and is my daily driver. It hauls a$$ with 35 inch tires and 4.88 gears. It will pass cars with a light tap of the gas pedal. Flys up hills and rock crawls with authority. I have friends that have installed the later model toy engines and they are very happy with them.

Mark W said:
We've done one 4.3 swap into a mini. Nice power. It's lighter than the V8. Heck, it's lighter than the 3.0. Just as much work and generally more expensive than a 350 swap.

I understand about the "just as much work", no motor swap is easy, although I would imagine that radiator, fan, and distributor clearance are easier with the 4.3L.

Why the added expense though Mark? Like the difficulty, I would expect the costs between the two to be similiar. They are essentially the same motor after all (with + or - 2 cylinders).

The shorter length does help. I probably should back off from that statement. I find them to be just about the same amount of work. But for many guys without the access to the tools and parts that I have, the V6 will probably be a little easier.

Part for the V8s are more common still and easier to find, cheaper to buy. just because of how many V8s are out there. Ranging from oil pans to distributor caps to headers to whatever... The V8 stuff tends to be avaialbe for a bit less. And you can usually find a motor to start with for less to. At least around here.

Any swap of a Toy or Chevy V6 or V8 will provide all the power thjat you need and you will not be dissatisfied with how the truck performs.

Mark...

I agree w/ KliersLC. Build up that 22r and drive it.
Not to mention great gas mileage. A lot of bang for
the buck, no pun intended.

PRF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom