Operation Stick It (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it’s time to convert A340F to R150F. Earlier this year I found a donor that was totaled, but still running and took for a test drive (back roads).
upload_2018-11-23_20-2-1.jpeg

It doesn’t look bad, but miles and frame rot sealed its fate. I want that..
upload_2018-11-23_20-4-2.jpeg

In the pseudo Hilux since my auto is dying and a new/decent auto would cost the same. But now I can have a compound 1st, and no torque converter!!

The past year has been a punch in the teeth, short version, I’ve been focused on work, a federal grant, and limited time-off, #firstworldproblems

Free-time was focused on the 4Rnr for travel and CO trails.
upload_2018-11-23_20-16-27.jpeg

And after losing our fury family, we crumbled when one needed a home
upload_2018-11-23_20-21-5.jpeg

Sum it up, I’m working weekends, free time goes to the Surf, and beastie with puppy-dog eyes...But in the next few weeks my time is going to free-up, and as you’ve heard before “I saved so much money today!” (#Ispentalot!)

Sadly, I still haven’t heard back from Marlin on the Tacobox. I realize they’re surrounded by fire, and crazy busy. Regardless, I still used plastic with many significant figures there for other things, the crawler can go in later I guess.

While I’ve got things apart, it’s a perfect time to address my exhaust leak, replace the exhaust, and get this thing road worthy again. So if you have any free advice, or time, when this gets underway in the next few weeks, please feel free to interject!!

I’ve removed a few things on the donor meanwhile
upload_2018-11-23_20-43-51.jpeg

So, just a couple of other thoughts...the engine runs/sounds great on the donor. Do I just keep it (frame recall that destroyed many of these engines) to hold on to just-in-case, or get rid of it? If I keep it, why not build it for stupid power? If I sell it, what if mine goes bad?

The bed is next, I'm thinking trailer project. The idea of a matching bed, after painted, it pretty cool, plus it could be used for other crap since it's 6' plus a tailgate, whereas mine is 5'...that's it (tire carrier).
And, Marlin is getting more billet, and potentially the Tacobox is back on the table! :bounce2:

Free advice welcome, I'm making this up as I go, but it's pennies compared to a new Tacoma and I don't want to start over (starting at $40k). Although the new Taco is pretty, they even copied mine and finally added a snorkle!! And I have extra front doors from my donor now too, thinking half-doors (they are mechanical), but I digress. The conversion is near...time I need, thanks for reading.

Yes on the trailer but I’m bias.

I’d say sell the engine. You can always get another they at plentiful. It’s a 3.4 right?

Keep doors just in case but unless your hardcore wheeler trailer queen not sure half doors are worth it.

5A031E31-979B-48CC-8F5F-1DAE6D84E815.jpeg

How many miles on your Taco, and on this new donor vehicle? That would determine if I would keep the engine.

I like the idea of using the bed for a trailer also.

Yes, 3.4 with 254k, mine has 170k. Keeping the doors, too many times it would have been a plus.

Yeah, getting rid of the engine is logical, guess I was channeling my inner hoarder. So I’ll be asking to borrow a cherry picker, maybe some help, new Minsky’s went in just down the street, have a dedicated fridge for hydration :) and plenty of non-hop fluids.

Caveat, still waiting on Tacobox...

So finally decided to post the engine for sale, and it was more popular than I had anticipated. If anyone is bored this weekend and wants to watch-point-and-laugh, I'm starting on Sat. I'll take pics to start the documentation, and thanks to baby Jesus and Gore for the internet, so I can spread the rising of the forged. Yeah...that was bad, sorry (it's been a really #logarithmic day).

So it was time to make the jump
7DF811BA-12E2-4036-8D5E-113147932BC0.jpeg

Got it out, and the HF tranny jack rocked!

Before
AD44BE2A-BF76-4D83-9F2A-3231200475B5.jpeg

D19EC6AD-71DB-4392-B7DD-94641F2FC266.jpeg

C5534733-2014-42A4-8827-DCA11297A1C4.jpeg

Oh, forgot to mention that I also thought I had an exhaust leak, so why not
45BC22CF-AB95-4D34-B5CC-5BDC4CAE0658.jpeg

Now I’m certain I have an exhaust leak! But that’s what Toyota friends are for...right Kelly?!

Moral support
082CE557-CD7F-4BEA-91EB-0014DD0A0ACE.jpeg

So all the write-ups leave out all the horrible experiences, thanks. Luckily I had a complete donor vehicle, a close commute, a bicycle, an understanding wife, a thesaurus of swear words, and a full time job for rest and distraction!
46BB5965-56F1-408D-A2F5-4A29C771CAE0.jpeg

I’m amazed at how different the wiring is for every year! Wiring diagrams are fascinating and frustrating, nothing like I’m familiar with, and of course mine is ever so slightly different than the wiring diagrams for my year... early version maybe?
Even the harnesses change!! WTH?! So with a bit of luck and intellectual guesses, I was able to jump a wire and get it started. The computer isn’t happy, but I took it for a drive, and it’s completely different! It’s like a loud, angry tractor, but I haven’t passed 2nd gear yet!
I’ve got some fine tuning to do, some more wiring deciphering (yay), and a bunch of stuff to get rid of...

You’ll never guess what showed up Friday evening...
ECECF8DA-249D-4975-A08F-C7DD591B0CEF.jpeg

So I contacted MC today for some instructions or link to some hints, and they don’t currently have anything :oops:
They’re working on it, but no eta for it. Am I crazy to just want a little direction or even a diagram after spending this much? Par for Monday

That’s a funny comment. I do some occasional work in small aftermarket automotive. The problem/fear back I receive is no matter what detail is out their more is always wanted. So most error on very little, as what ever they put out is lacking and always seen as a negative. So they don’t waist time. But agree with you. Some instructions is part of the deal.

I wrote instructions for a company 40 pages of pictures and instructions. They get daily calls from people that have obviously never opened the included Manual. It’s the amazon society we live in today.

I did find some pics and instructions....on Trail-gear's site. Just a one page schematic like the FSM would suffice, a little would be better than the current nothing. Guess I get to write my own!

What do I say when people ask how it’s going?
BE821536-20D6-453A-9773-796E39FC70CF.jpeg

top fluid fill hole is missing a plug?

That reminds me when we were at Moab, every time I did a section with my nose straight down, I left a little oil leak trail. After a few hils on fins and things, realized it really was me, so looked and found on the front of my GM 305 engine signs of oil coming out a bolt hole about 1/2 way up the block..... found a matching bolt and continued on. Was a little head scratching trying to figure out where to find a non-metric spare bolt among a group of Toyota rigs.

Sorry, thought I sent a reply, it’s originally for a sensor in the earlier gear boxes. Fill is on opposite side halfway up, they had to send the plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom