Operation Stick It (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You just can’t emphasize how awesome it is to have duplicate/extra parts when you’re tightwad and don’t want to buy a 3rd car (or already sold it). So I’ve got a driveshaft off for shortening and started getting a transfer case ready for a marriage with the red devil.
A press fit coupler did not want to leave...
C457B4DC-DB70-4D91-BC86-67E9DA5CF896.jpeg

So two weekends, many swear words, a little blood, a lot of heat, managed to break a pair of vise grips, finished with some surgical precision, the stoopid coupler came off with no damage to the spline! Note to self, stick with your day-job.
3F5663D8-2C0D-42CA-95DA-088EBF83B402.jpeg

I had to sacrifice a tcase output gear once doing something similar. New output shaft from Toyota on the transmission, the machining on the new shaft was so tight that the gear would NOT budge.. PLenty of heat and a puller, it came off but was ruined.. transmission was fine. Slight abrasive cloth to the splines on the output before putting on the replacement gear. I did try prussian blue to mark where it was hitting but got tired of that after an hour or so.. Doesn't take much to get them hung up.

Now I just need to get the front driveshaft lengthened, a few finishing touches, and it’s all grown up...

so cool....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom