Operation AHC to OME conversion is about to be underway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So since I'm not going to be lifting my Lux, will I need the SLEE Differential drop kit? Or is that just strictly for higher than normal lifts, and offroading?
No diff drop needed. Get measurements of the stock front end height so you can set it back when you're done

No diff drop needed. Get measurements of the stock front end height so you can set it back when you're done
Getting the stock front height is going to be a problem b/c she is stuck in low mode and I can't get her out of it.

I appreciate all of your guys input. I was thinking about just taking her in and getting the work done by a mechanic, but they don't want to touch it b/c of the torsion bars, and the Toyota dealership wants $1,800 that includes removing all of the AHC stuff. I told them I don't want that removed, but theh told me they will not take on the job unless they remove all of the previous suspension.

I did mine yesterday on 6 ton jack stands. I did most of it with the wheels and tires on for safety purposes but still jacked it up and set on stands. It’s an 05 with 179k miles. if you aren’t wanting to cut the shocks they aren’t too terrible to unbolt. Grab a chain wrench or pipe wrench to hold the dust cover and a 22mm wrench and they should unbolt.
Best thing I had was a lot of patience, cold beer, and my wife handing me tools. I like wearing gloves on a project like this to protect knuckles. Haha.
Really don’t need much other than a 12mm, 22mm, and 30mm wrench and socket... and patience/creativity on different ways to hold a wrench. Soak the t bars and shock nuts with penetrating oil. I Had to use a little heat and a hammer but my t bars popped right out.
I set mine level and did not like the angles of my cv’s so I ordered a diff drop tonight hoping to be able to take it back up to level so when I hang my bumper it will still sit nice. I did it in about 6 1/2 hours by myself without cutting anything. Cutting you could definitely save some time. I would absolutely have the sawsall and bi metal blades on hand! (My last LX I didn’t have an option but to cut three of the four. Feel free to text me or call me if you have any questions. I’m happy to help. (send me a PM if you want my number)
Please disregard the major scratch on the Back. My wife thought it needed a little character so she hit the garage wall.
4B6F2AA9-FFB7-4B10-83B0-9D7BC898FA11.jpeg

Does anyone know what the stock specs for the front end height is? Right now my Lux is in low mode, and with my measurements from the center of the wheel hub, I am sitting at around 17 inches.

"It's unlikely you will need one now and under 21". You're not pulling anything for the lift kit that makes swapping the diff drop any easier. It's a totally separate job."

So as long as I stay under or at 21 inches, I should be Kosher, and not need the diff drop kit? Am I understanding that correctly?

"It's unlikely you will need one now and under 21". You're not pulling anything for the lift kit that makes swapping the diff drop any easier. It's a totally separate job."

So as long as I stay under or at 21 inches, I should be Kosher, and not need the diff drop kit? Am I understanding that correctly?

19.75 is the target for the front. 20.5 for the rear. Anything ~1.25" over that and I think you should use the diff drop. The increased angles on the CVs create far more problems than a simple diff drop bracket.

So ya, under 21" and you should be ok. Be sure to maintain your rake though. That's also important. Maintain at least .5" rake, preferably closer to .75".

19.75 is the target for the front. 20.5 for the rear. Anything ~1.25" over that and I think you should use the diff drop. The increased angles on the CVs create far more problems than a simple diff drop bracket.

So ya, under 21" and you should be ok. Be sure to maintain your rake though. That's also important. Maintain at least .5" rake, preferably closer to .75".
Thank you. My plan is to stay in between 20" or 20.5" as long as it's not compromising my CV's. The rear coils I got have up to a 2 inch lift on them. I picked them over the 1.5's just to make sure I retain some rake.

Alright, started getting hot on my project late yesterday afternoon, went to lower the spare tire, and the damn anti key is seized up! I've decided that I'm either completely removing the entire wench assembly and I'll deal with that later. Or I'm going to cut the cable holding the spare up. I'll report later with an update

Fellas, I have a stupid question hopefully someone can help me with. I'm done with my suspension project, the only thing left to do is install the new T bars and adjust to height. I pulled the 50 amp fuse for to turn off the AHC pump, do I need to pull the 15amp fuse in the fuse box on the lower driver's side, or do I just need to unplug from the AHC ECU and I'll be fine?

Welp here she is all put back together. Huge shout out to BlueWeim for all the help and knowledge he passed my way...sorry my T-bars came out easier than yours did 😁😁😁. Once I got the rear shocks cut out, it was smooth sailing. I set my front height to around 20.5 and after driving around for 10 miles, I checked the height again and noticed it dropped to 19.5. I have a slight "toe in" on my front tires, so an alignment is in the near future. I'm gonna drive her to and from work tomorrow, readjust the front height to 20.5, then send her in for an alignment. When I get some time this week, I'll post a thread and list all the tools I used, and some tips and advice to help make things easier for all the guy's who want to take this challenge on in the future.

20200223_181915.jpg

Do we have information for disabling the electronic portion of an AHC delete? I'm looking to gather links and prepare for replacing the system.

Do we have information for disabling the electronic portion of an AHC delete? I'm looking to gather links and prepare for replacing the system.

From my experience, remove the 50 amp under hood fuse, and the bottom two connectors to the AHC ECU.

From my experience, remove the 50 amp under hood fuse, and the bottom two connectors to the AHC ECU.

Thank you! I appreciate it.

Disconnect your battery, and pull the 50 amp fuse, then reach under the steering wheel and pull the plug going into the AHC ECU and you will be good.

Welp here she is all put back together. Huge shout out to BlueWeim for all the help and knowledge he passed my way...sorry my T-bars came out easier than yours did 😁😁😁. Once I got the rear shocks cut out, it was smooth sailing. I set my front height to around 20.5 and after driving around for 10 miles, I checked the height again and noticed it dropped to 19.5. I have a slight "toe in" on my front tires, so an alignment is in the near future. I'm gonna drive her to and from work tomorrow, readjust the front height to 20.5, then send her in for an alignment. When I get some time this week, I'll post a thread and list all the tools I used, and some tips and advice to help make things easier for all the guy's who want to take this challenge on in the future.

View attachment 2221036
Is that stock height? It looks like it has a slight lift to me

Springs settle a bit, the torsion bars settle much more than I thought they would. Go torture it somewhere for a day then measure the front height again. You will likely lose an inch or more.

Is that stock height? It looks like it has a slight lift to me
Sorry for such a slow response. Work, family and working on the 80 are keeping me busy. The local Lexus dealership set the front height to 20.5" when I took it in for the alignmen. The rear sits at 22.5" with the OME 2860 springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom