Operation 9.5" Land Cruiser Axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That outside portion that is threaded is really thin, it also has a groove cut in it for the lock ring, and the housing weighs over 100# alone. I have seen it happen before.

I know what I'm doing this weekend

image.jpg

putting a 2F in a minitruck? OH! w8! paint the shop floor..no...well, you going to keep us hanging?

image.jpg
It's slowly coming along...

Last edited:
nice...I have been giving thought to how to use 15" factory rims without spacers on those FF hubs. prolly couldn't use the factory rear disks tho...you got any idears?

Should be pretty darn bullet proof....

Ran with a group years back, one guy had the mini stuff and was spinning ring and pinions quite often.. he upgraded to a factory cruiser front axle and not a problem..

nice...I have been giving thought to how to use 15" factory rims without spacers on those FF hubs. prolly couldn't use the factory rear disks tho...you got any idears?

My basic measurements show that any 15" wheel with 3" or less of backspacing will fit on an 80-series rear axle.

What I need to do is show how much of the caliper & bracket be be ground down to fit a wheel with more than 3" of backspacing (such as the 3.375" of the stock 60 wheel). I'll take some pictures tomorrow night of the brakes.
photo.JPG

yeah show me what you end up getting to work...I had trouble grinding enough off the calipers to feel good about not getting too deep and still couldn't clear the 3.75" non stock 15s I had. if you get a working combo, please do tell...

I tried putting a stock 60 wheel on an 80 axle, you should only have to grind 1/16" or so off the caliper. With spacers it should be no problem.

I'd like to run w/o spacers if I can as I already need 1.5s on the front to maintain even track...hearing what you're saying right now is great...stockers should fit...how much clearance does grinding off the 16th afford?

Last year, I got a great idea to replace the 8" e-locker rear axle in my '86 mini truck, with a 9.5" full float cruiser diff. I have already tossed one ring and pinion, plus lost a wheel spacer on the freeway, so I knew it was time to put something in the truck I trusted.

After some planning, I started collecting the following parts to build a 61" wide centered 9.5" rear diff.

• FJ60 Rear Axle Housing
  • Ruff Stuff Full Float Spindle Ends
  • Trail Gear +5 30-Spline Front axle Shafts
  • Trail Gear 4340 Drive Flanges
  • IFS Toyota Wheel Hubs
  • FJ60 Front Brake Rotors
  • '86 Mini Truck Front Brake Calipers
  • Ruff Stuff Leaf Spring Perches
View attachment 938275
Last year, I got a great idea to replace the 8" e-locker rear axle in my '86 mini truck, with a 9.5" full float cruiser diff. I have already tossed one ring and pinion, plus lost a wheel spacer on the freeway, so I knew it was time to put something in the truck I trusted.

After some planning, I started collecting the following parts to build a 61" wide centered 9.5" rear diff.

• FJ60 Rear Axle Housing
  • IFS Toyota Wheel Hubs
View attachment 938275

• FJ60 Rear Axle Housing
  • IFS Toyota Wheel Hubs
View attachment 938275

H there great thread I'm thinking about the same thing as Ive got access to a old bj 42 have been wondering what parts will fit my 84 mini truck..trany,diffs,

The axle is slowly coming together. All that is left is to wire the elocker and hook up the parking brake.

image.jpg

I also had a chance to measure for different 15" wheel clearances. Here is what I found:

Anything with less than 3" of backspacing fits without grinding.

Between 3"-3.375" will fit with grinding to the caliper

Anything over 3.375" will not fit because you need to grind into the caliper mounting bracket (not enough material to grind it down)

Where it hits on a wheel with 3.75" backspacing:

image.jpg

Clearance between the caliper mount and a FJ60 wheel

image.jpg

And here is how little clearance there is to grind on the caliper mounting bracket:
image.jpg

Last edited:
I've been struggling to find a way to get 15" wheels on my FZJ80 rear axle as well... I know that there were non-US versions that had a rear disc setup that was for 15" wheels. Early 90's, I think, for the Japanese domestic market. I can find rotors (312mm), calipers are the same, but you need the backing plates, and that is what I can't find. I'll bet Australia and Canada has them all over, but can't find any here.

I've yet to try my stock fj60 rims, but according to GRM, they should fit w/o grindage. the rims I tried to fit had 3.75" BS and therefore would not work w/o grinding into the workings of the caliper; also sited by GRM above. I'll be able to find out in a couple of months when I swap the tires on my wifes fj62...

any pictures of the needed grinding?

I didn't grind the caliper. I decided to run 1" spacers until I find a set of 315 tires for my 80 series wheels.

Swhat is the strength difference between an fj60 and 80 rear axle? And with yours being built what's the biggest tire size you can run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom