1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open tailgate weight capacity ...

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by Sword, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Sword

Sword

Son and I do a lot of hoping in and out of the 1100 via the tailgate, shifting stuff etc.

Just wondering, is there a recommended max weight to not exced on the open lower tailgate section?

ta,
    Sword

2. SINCITY100

SINCITY100

Good question Sword...

I have never noticed any literature regarding the tailgate weight capacity, but it will take quite a bit ... I have jumped from my (100s) roof down onto the gate several times, without any problems...

Hmm...I guess that was a kinda dumb thing to do, actually... :eek:

3. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

4. mobi-arc

mobi-arc

I've had those cables corrode and snap.

5. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

One of my cables snapped not too long ago too. I ended up cutting a couple of holes where the bottom loops so water can drain out. I prefer the 80 series hinged restraints rather than the cables. The 80 series tailgate feels stronger as well.

6. stevek

stevek

I've had 270lbs of me on my tailgate without issue:D

7. SINCITY100

SINCITY100

Well..at least thats ONE thing I dont have to worry about out here in the desert ;)

I like CDans idea...I never really thought much about the carpet/board insert, but it would be nice to fire up a stove on the "gate" without worries of a torched trim panel :eek:

Yet ANOTHER mod to do...sometime... :frown:

8. bwbski26

bwbski26

well ive had my 230 lb torso on there with 3 girls, tailgaiting at jets game, and all three of those girls in my opinion combine for less then 320 lbs, so our total weight adds up at to, at least, 550 lbs. what do u have in mind of the gat supporting? maybe with that info we will be able to give you a better guestimite!

9. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

I am sure the weak point would be the cables given a well distributed load. Should be a pretty easy calculation for one of the engineers here if we post up the cable size.

Those in wet or salt air climates need to inspect these cables on a regular basis. GM recalled a few tailgate cables recently for corrrosion issues.:doh:
    General Motors has sent owners of 4.1 million trucks a reminder to take part in a safety recall involving tailgate cables. ... the galvanized steel tailgate support cables may corrode, weaken, and eventually break.

Your GM dealer will replace the original cables with stainless steel versions at no cost to you.​

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  10. firetruck41

firetruck41

There is not a spot of rust anywhere on my 470... except the tailgate cable, be warned, even in the non-rust belt, it could be a concern.

11. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    bingo!! It is the cables that you have to worry about. I changed mine out for this very reason...

now i can jump on it all day long...:D

12. SINCITY100

SINCITY100

Nah.. it cant POSSIBLY happen to my 100 here in the desert...Its Just like global warming, just a theory...

On second thought...I think I will go check my cables tonight ... :eek:

13. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Yeap, check 'em. I replaced a snapped one too.

14. 98cruiser

98cruiser

whats up bro I need to replace both of mine cause they snapped when my 77lb pit bull jumped on it. where did you get the replacments cable besides the dealer?????

15. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Call CruiserDan.

16. Morty

Morty

Broke both of mine when they were about 5 years old and dented the tailgate when it hit the keys, which were sitting on top of the bumper. From what I could tell, the water gets down inside the plastic covers that surround the cables and sits down in there. On my new cables, I cut the plastic in the middle so it would drain. No problems so far.

17. ELLTEE

ELLTEE

The passenger side cable broke on my '99 two years ago. The cable had corroded and just my weight (155 lbs) on the gate did the foul deed. The driver side cable was clean and bright, so I just replaced the pass side and was good to go.

LT

18. Dandon

Dandon

I checked and muy cables are ok, but it is good to know. I think I'll also make a small cut it the middle of each sleeve to prevent water from gathering there.

19. Sword

Sword

Dandon - I expect that this is just me being really dumb but how will making a hole in the sleeve stop water from getting in as opposed to actually letting it in?

ta,
    Sword

20. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe your desert is different then the Arizona desert.:)

Snapped a cable about a month ago and the vehicle has been in Arizona since day 1. Surprised me also.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">