Open Invite - Payette Draw Camping / Wheelin this Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.claritypoolservice.net
I know that the main run is heading up next weekend, and I now might be able to make that run as well, but I had already planned the time off this weekend to run up with a few friends & the family.
If anyone is interested in a bit of wheelin tommorrow and saturday in the pines, with family based camping; a few of us are heading up tommorow morning, the main group leaving the east valley at about 9:00am toward payson. If anyone is interested in coming along and joining, hit me up at:
six o two - eight 8 too - 07niner6

I should be headed up around that time from phx....but will be going through to Durango. Maybe we will see you on the road.

Payette once again did no dissapoint for a quick family based wheellin and camping trip this weekend. My buddy Brian took his mint 97 LX that has never seen dirt, and gave it a proper baptism in payette rock, and especially mud (water is VERY high in some pools this year). Norm and family met up later for campfire cocktails and lies friday night.
Lots of chages to the trail this season, especially the access road that cuts across the trail several times. Since Brians passenger was six months pregnant (and his wife, and never been off road before), we only ran the first section, and through the second section to the small watefalls befor exiting to the "Easy" fire road that runs parralel. While not an extreme obstacle, the road is now rutted out to the point of being challenging at several places, especially where exiting entering the wash...lots of off camber climbs that did not exist last summer.

Saturday, as to be expected there were lots of J**ps running the wash, so thick that we had to ask them to move to make our way past....since they had all bunched up doing trail repairs to a rig that busted both rear links(?). There were also a few Pinzies out making a show also, which classed up the group considerably. They probabaly had showing of 40 + rigs when we passed.

All in all great outing, great company, and perfect weather for payette....still on the warm side though.
First.JPG
second.JPG
1.JPG

Last edited:
Pics #2
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Pics #3
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Pics #4
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

This is a favorite place for my little ones as well....plenty of Mud filled pools to play in all the way up the trail...
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Great trip report. Will we have any trouble getting a minivan to the camping spot?

Great trip report. Will we have any trouble getting a minivan to the camping spot?

It all depends on which one you had in mind. If you get up there super early, and claim the section right past the first little step obstacle off the fire road (where we camped last year), absolutely, no problem. The road doesn't get washed to sh** untill past there by a 1/2 mile. I had to put it back in low just to exit where there was just a smooth road last year...didn't get any pics of "road wheelin" unfortunately...

Brian - Actually I did get some pics of "Road Wheelin"; this is on the fire road exiting the trail by the fossil beds. It had been previously generously stacked prior, but it is a 2' ledge without the assistance rocks now. Not too difficult, but I would not take a mini through...Those are 35's with a 3" on the LX to give you scale.
exit.jpg
3.jpg

It all depends on which one you had in mind. If you get up there super early, and claim the section right past the first little step obstacle off the fire road (where we camped last year), absolutely, no problem. The road doesn't get washed to sh** untill past there by a 1/2 mile. I had to put it back in low just to exit where there was just a smooth road last year...didn't get any pics of "road wheelin" unfortunately...

Cool...Tentative plan is to get up there Fri nite. Hopefully we can claim a few of the good spots.

Brian - Actually I did get some pics of "Road Wheelin"; this is on the fire road exiting the trail by the fossil beds. It had been previously generously stacked prior, but it is a 2' ledge without the assistance rocks now. Not too difficult, but I would not take a mini through...Those are 35's with a 3" on the LX to give you scale.

Maybe the Minivan gets parked down the road, and shuttle w/ the wagon.. We'll see. Thanks for the info!

I plan on heading up fri night too.
I'll be on CB channel 4.
Maybe we can meet up somewhere and caravan up.
I'll be coming from Tempe.

No broken Jeep pics. Shame on you.

-Spike

Did you guys even see the Geep crowd?

They had like 400 geeps up there, most had no business on that trail.....

Friend o mine who lives Payson was up there with them said it was quite humerous to watch.

No broken Jeep pics. Shame on you.

-Spike

I did not unfortunately.... I offered tools and help though, which was declined...

Did you guys even see the Geep crowd?

They had like 400 geeps up there, most had no business on that trail.....

Friend o mine who lives Payson was up there with them said it was quite humerous to watch.

I bet there were 40 + that I seen, with who knows how many more down around the bend all staged up and waiting. I seen many different skill levels / vehicle equipt stages, from bone stock to full on buggy's (plus a Liberty that I swear had 25" tires on it and running boards...I bet that didn't end well :). Based on their linkback on the main payette thread, what Norm and I saw was nothing compared to all the breakages they were reporting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom