Open Differentials and small spare (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Because every time I see it, I feel like these people have never taken a basic physics course. Same Idea with the knuckleheads that have highlift jack mounted on the hood.

You have to think about what would happen during a collision.

A 315/75R16 tire WITHOUT a rim is 65-75 lbs. Add a rim and you're pretty close to 100 lbs.
Now let's use a strap that you bought at Home Depot to "strap it down". If that doesn't hold, then how are you securing that fancy roof basket. With those 2 clamps on the rain gutter? Or to the factory rack? Yea, that's gonna end well.

Folks that carry roof mounted tents have spent the money on proper, full length roof racks that are secured with 4 clamps per side, and the roof top tent is securely mounted to the rack in multiple places.

My point is that there are proper ways to carry loads.
I have 8 mounting points on my roof rack that mount to the old school rain gutters

Last edited:
I do have to admit, some times when i go to the grocery store, and some jack wad parks way to close to me.

I think to myself it would be a lot easier to load my grocery's, if i didn't have to deal with that tire carrier.

But at the same time, i sure do like the extra ground clearance i get while driving off road.

So with most things in life, the swing out tire carrier is a trade off.
Yep makes sense.

I could be wrong, but i seen to remember reading a thread were a 35 will fit under the truck in the factory location with a few easy modifications. Do a search, i think you'll find the thread I'm thinking of.

I was able to squeeze my 35” with no mods before I did my bumper but it definitely hit the track bar.

Removing text since not sure how to delete this double post. Sorry!

Last edited:
I don't think this is true at all. I've had a tire and gas on the roof of my 60 many, many times. When running hundreds of miles in the outback of eastern Oregon, you really want two spares. I put one in the Confer roof rack along with a couple of Nato cans of fuel. No issues. Getting it down was actually quicker and easier than a tire in the stock location. No "top heavy" issues at all. Would I do something like this again? For sure.

PS - Taken plenty of physics.

Just like anything some common sense is part of the equation. For middle of nowhere back roads in eastern Oregon, I totally agree its a good idea to have an extra spare and lots of fuel.

For someone who's using their cruiser as a highway commuter having a spare on top doesn't make much sense. Especially if its a 35"+ tire on a lifted rig.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you need it for a specific purpose or trip then by all means, if its just mounted there all of the time for looks, there are better options.

Just like anything some common sense is part of the equation. For middle of nowhere back roads in eastern Oregon, I totally agree its a good idea to have an extra spare and lots of fuel.

For someone who's using their cruiser as a highway commuter having a spare on top doesn't make much sense. Especially if its a 35"+ tire on a lifted rig.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you need it for a specific purpose or trip then by all means, if its just mounted there all of the time for looks, there are better options.
I agree with this, especially if you have the stock roof rack. However, if you have a real roof rack, then the only real downside I see is the height (won't fit into garage and some parking structures, etc.) and the extra fuel you will burn from having it up there in the wind. The spare weighs less than a RTT and people run with those without issues. On my 80, I have a rear tire carrier on my bumper. I totally hate it since every time I want to get into the back, I have to open that dang thing up. I know I will have wasted way more time opening that thing on a regular basis than the extremely rare time I would have to take the tire off the roof. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom