oops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Grinding down calipers - in order to fit the 15 x 8 3.75 BS RockCrawlers that just arrived

Nicked the caliper on the piston area - now she's leaking like a sieve. I need new rotors and calipers anyway....she's my DD.

What do I do, and what are my options?

Already Fawking pissed because the vendor promised me that they would be 3.5BS!

new

Just ordered Left Front caliper and pads from local shop

Will be here first thing tomorrow AM....

It's not worth trying to fudge something for Brakes - anything else maybe. I enjoy being able to stop.

Total $44.00 + $17.00 for Pads.

For 44 dollars you will be receiving a paper mache caliper and a set of pads that are most likely actually the two ends off a baked ham.

cheapo

It is a limp fix only -

I want to go the 4runner route once the weather gets warmer!

edit

$44.00 was with core charge....$97.00 per/caliper:doh:

Why didn't you give them your leaky caliper as a core?

The value of a good parts guy.;)

Glad you got it fixed.:cool:

parts

Parts are coming tomorrow AM....

"the big gash in the center must have been from manufacturing:grinpimp:....not a grinder"

maybe put JB Weld, than a coat of Krylon?

Parts are coming tomorrow AM....

"the big gash in the center must have been from manufacturing:grinpimp:....not a grinder"

maybe put JB Weld, than a coat of Krylon?

Yep. Gold Krylon!!:D Seriously, though, JB weld will prob actually fix it. I use it ALOT.:hillbilly:

I really debated posting this, and then I thot "IT is brakes, and someone who doesn't know better might think that's an endorsement."
Yep. Gold Krylon!!:D Seriously, though, JB weld will prob actually fix it. I use it ALOT.:hillbilly:
Panic stop operating pressure is about 1200-1500 psi.

I really debated posting this, and then I thot "IT is brakes, and someone who doesn't know better might think that's an endorsement."

......I was trying to figure out a way to use my leaky old one as a core......I have a feeling they wouldn't accept a rotor gushing brake fluid as a core - maybe I'm wrong?....

NOT fix a braking system with JB Weld - although I'm sure it has:bang: been done!

As I said, I like being able to stop - it's a good thing.

Howdy! So are you going to grind up the new caliper, or spirng for a set of 1/4" spacers? John

alternative to a jack

I use this method all of the time....:flipoff2:
Redneck_RoadsideAutoRepair.jpg

I was more worried about someone in the future looking this up and thinking JB was OK to use here, than your using it. I've seen enough of your posts to think that you've probably got a better clue than that.

Did not know it was that much. But, how can vice grips on a soft line, or, a folded over and hamered flat hard brake line, hold pressure? Just curious and for the informational purpose.:beer:

Edit: I have never done it, and prob wouldnt do it on a street driven rig. Not worth it. Just curious.

thanks

I was more worried about someone in the future looking this up and thinking JB was OK to use here, than your using it. I've seen enough of your posts to think that you've probably got a better clue than that.

After re-reading - that's what I assumed - Thanks.

You're right - someone would probably try that - I'd hate to be liable.....

Did not know it was that much. But, how can vice grips on a soft line, or, a folded over and hamered flat hard brake line, hold pressure? Just curious and for the informational purpose.:beer:

Edit: I have never done it, and prob wouldnt do it on a street driven rig. Not worth it. Just curious.
The flares in your brake plumbing aren't really all that much different. They just have a nut to hold them together.
I've been told that some of the late model ABS brake systems are running double the pressure of the older systems. It's one way to get the performance out of them that they do.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom