ooopppssss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
photo.jpg
i locked the front end in today and the ring gear hit the cover and split it open. I heard a pop and when i looked it has about a 4 inch tear in it. i cant find anything loose and the insides appear to be ok looking thru the split.WHAT HAPPENED??????

it still runs and the ARB still works fine??

That would be some serious ring gear deflection! What were the driving conditions when this happened?

Huh.

Pretty sweet Ken!

I am going to bet that someone installed a semi-float ARB in the front diff and forgot to install the spider gear pinion shaft retaining bolt, allowing this shaft to slip out of the housing and cause what you see here.

Tear it down and let us know what you learn Ken.

:beer:

so Poser. since a semi float is for the rear does that mean i need to replace the ARB or can i put the retaining bolt back in {if thats the problem} and kept going??

Wow poser nice catch. I was scratching my head wondering WTF. Then I read your comment and thought yep I bet that's it.

Depending on the damage Ken.
You will need to tear that front axle down and figure out what is broke.

As soon as I get done with the garage I will take apart and let you know.
I hope I can just put the bolt in and weld the housing up and be good to go.

Once again thanks for all the great answers

Hope the people that installed it read this and learn something. I have had to redo everything they did

I have only used the front diff for less then a mile and that's it. I thought I would get more use out of it then that

so Poser. since a semi float is for the rear does that mean i need to replace the ARB or can i put the retaining bolt back in {if thats the problem} and kept going??

You can use the semi float ARB in the front, but not the full floater in a semi floater rear. There is no need to put the FF locker in the front. BUUUUT, if you use a SF locker, you have to install the center pin and the pin retainer bolt to keep it from sliding out.

If you just had the locker installed by a shop, then they should be liable for the damage and fix it at no cost to you.

yeah it was done about 5 years ago and this is only the second time i have used the front diff in locked position.

i have had nothing but problems with just about everything they did and they have stood behind nothing.
I have been fixing their mistakes from day one and i thought i had them all done. GUESS NOT

when you need something done right...best to get educated and dirty...that's major too, cause you gotta pull the front ax all the way apart...I'd be posting up names and numbers if I were you(not suggesting, just saying, I guess it's best to stay on higher ground). at least it didn't require a tow truck.

I know how to do the stuff that's why I am fixing it myself. At the time I was gone 5 weeks at a time then home 4 days then gone 5 weeks so I farmed out the two diffs to be built complete and the transfer case to be rebuilt. So far I had to fix the transfer case because they left out pieces and the rear diff is set to tight and I got a couple of ring pieces when I changed the oil. The rear still works just whines so until it blows I am not going to worry about it. Could last forever. Now the fronts wasted and I have less then 1 mile on it. In fact maybe even less then 100 ft on it LOL. They also sent my trans out to be rebuilt and charge me 1200. Boy was I pissed. A new one would have been less then 1000 with monster trans. The excuse they gave me was the case was broken. I asked why the did not call me first to give me the option. All they said was OH. The boys at LCNW are about retarded as far as work goes but they won me over with their nicest so I tried them. NEVER AGAIN.

BTDT. hate relearning stuff.

LCNW is one place I have never bought stuff from nor ever refered anybody to... Thank goodness

I'm with Lamb and you , I try to do everything ... At least when it fails ... I know who the dip &@&$ was

I have never known there was a difference with the ARB's when they go in the front... Never locked... Always been open

Thanks for posting this all up... It will help others for sure... Specially if they went to LCNW for an arb install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom