ONSC trip to Lake Jocassee July 22-24, 2011 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On July 22-24, 2011, your North Carolina brethren are headed south of the border. :steer:

We’re planning what will hopefully be a big family-friendly event that appeals to our membership, including those members that don't necessarily wheel that much.

After getting input from Marshall, we changed the venue to Lake Jocassee and we will be camping at Devils Fork Campground.
Given we’ll be in your neck of the woods, Marshall asked if it would be okay if UC members crashed the event. The answer is “Absolutely!” :cheers:

If you think you want to join us, given the popularity of this campground, you'll need to reserve your campsite NOW. In case you’ve never been there or hear Marshall tell of the area, the website describes the campground as follows: "Located along the southwestern shore of Lake Jocassee, this park provides outdoor recreation amid the beauty of the Blue Ridge at the Jocassee Gorges. Lakefront camping, hiking and picnicking are among some of the favorite activities, along with vacationing in the park's contemporary mountain villas. Boaters can drive to remote islands or sites of waterfalls spilling into the lake."

While there are a variety of campsites to choose from (including: boat-in sites, RV sites, and rustic tent sites) being that there are no "group" campsites like we have at URE, several of us have reserved adjacent sites on Site Loop 31-59 (I’ll be in site 54, Belmont148 is in 53 and Marshall is in 55) which have electricity and water hook ups and bathrooms close by.
Marshall's comment about the RV loops was "...camping with power/ water and rv spots all beside some of the best bathroom and showers of any state campground." Not sure about your family but with three :princess: that was a big factor in my household as to whether they'd come.

HERE is a link to a website where you can search for, see a picture of and reserve your site.

Attractions: The lake - incredible visibility (Marshall's estimate is 20 ft down), great for swimming, boating and fishing; Waterfalls (accessible by boat).

Things to do: Swimming, boating (they have canoe and power boat rentals but you'd want to reserve in advance), kayaking, hiking, trail rides (Marshall suggested nearby Horse Pasture and Mustard Grounds Trails which are not challenging - mostly gravel roads and perfect for stock rigs). I've heard ONSC might use some funds to rent a pontoon for the weekend to use as a base of operations on the water.

I hope you and your families will make plans to join us. Click HERE to go to the link on the ONSC board posting about our trip.

Looks like many of those sites are already booked, only 1 open spot on that loop for those dates.

Looks like many of those sites are already booked, only 1 open spot on that loop for those dates.

It's not that big of a place. So even if you were in another site you would be maybe 50 yards away.

If your planning on staying you need to book now. Don't wait or you won't have a site.

is the horsepasture open all summer?

I know it opened back up last weekend and turkey season starts in april but i though it closed again once the turkey season ends until right before deer season.

i think it closes

So who's coming? I'm planning on taking friday off and fishing all day. Camp and cook what I catch. Wake up and do some exploring and then hang out in the afternoon with the family for 3-4 hrs and then do some more camping.

I think I'd be divorced if I left Misty 1 week after the youngin popped out....although Henley could help her out....I'll have to run that one by her.

if the dent is up and running i may try to come out for some kayaking/swimming. We'll see.

my new little guy isn't due until Nov.

I may take this tip since the wifey loves the lake up there and my other little guy doesn't care what we are doing so long as water is involved.

It would be a day trip...although we might bring our gear and back pack into the horse pasture and find a camping spot.

I'll try and put the boat in and come by.

what ramp would you be using?

The kids might have more fun if i bring jet skis or the the bass boat. Would love to bring the sailboat but she won't be done by then.

I've never been on the water in jocasse.

free beer?

not bud/miller but the good stuff like sam adams?

what ramp would you be using?

The kids might have more fun if i bring jet skis or the the bass boat. Would love to bring the sailboat but she won't be done by then.

I've never been on the water in jocasse.

The main ramp. You will LOVE Lake Jocassee. Especially the back waters and coves.
I had to get my starter re-built yesterday. It was kicking out ever now and then and
ya can't push start a boat.
;)
Hopefully my new Bimini top we be here by then as well.

i will run this by the wife next week while we are on vacation. If she doesn't already have plans for us i'll pm you for an address/directions for the ramp.

Really wish i could get the sailboat done by then...then there is always a campsite avaliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom