Only $261+tax: Massimo CX50 E-Kooler - Alternative to ARB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Even cheaper than a refrigerator slide, at $261 = $289 - 10% (register email to get coupon) + free S/H + Tax, you can get this 50L compressor based cooler/refrigerator/freezer from the manufacturer website: Shopping

Costco also has it for $270 + Free S/H + Tax: https://www.costco.com/massimo-cx50-12v-portable-e-kooler.product.100566509.html

There are 30L and 40L units available too.

Just ordered and have no experience on it yet, so no comment on quality. However, comparing to over $900 on ARB units, the choice is so obvious to poor me.
My research showed someone did the capacity test on similar unit, and it did survive the AZ summer 110+ degree. Also, It's said the compressor is from LG but don't quote this on me.

The sole purpose is to share info of a good deal (at least to me) to anyone who may be interested in. Not affiliate with or get paid by any of the stores and manufacturer.

1597164232552.png

1597163958254.png

1597163989249.png

Thanks for this. I’ve been considering Alpicool, Edgestar, and Indel B. I’ll add Massimo to my list.

Alpicool was my top choice until Massimo is on sale. I believe the promotional price won't last long as Costco website says to 8/14...

Just purchased! Love not having to worry about ice.

do they offer a warranty?

These have a three year warranty:
PhalconOverland.com/shop

I’ve been down this road. These are all alpicool rebrands and use a small generic compressor with 1 year warranty. If you want the industry standard Secop compressor like one in ARB (5 year warranty), then our IceCo group buy begins in 2 days! We had one for July and it went great!

Last edited:
do they offer a warranty?

These have a three year warranty:
PhalconOverland.com/shop
I'm sure there is at least 1 year warranty, plus double by credit card. Will report once receive it.

I’ve been down this road. These are all alpicool rebrands and use a small generic compressor with 1 year warranty. If you want the industry standard Secop compressor like one in ARB (5 year warranty), then our IceCo group buy begins in 2 days! We had one for July and it went great!

It seems that all Aplicool fridges has 2 versions in China market, one with generic compressor and one with LG compressor. I heard somewhere mentioned the Massimo OEM one coming with LG compressor. Know nothing about the difference between LG and Secop compressor although, but I believe the those Asian compressors dominate the (mini) fridges market and hope it should last as long as the fridge.

For 50% more, $420 of IceCo 50L is also a good deal comparing to the steal of over $1000 for brand name ARB or so, plus 5 years of warranty on the compressor. I actually seriously considered to jump into the ICECO group buy if Massimo wasn't on sale.

I'm sure there is at least 1 year warranty, plus double by credit card. Will report once receive it.

The phalcon fridge units come with a three year warranty on the compressor. I'd be curious to know what they cover under their warranty.

I bought one of these from Costco after seeing the initial post. It came in today so I’ve been trying it out inside. Came to temperature pretty fast, probably 30 min or so. Looks like the temperature fluctuates about 4 degrees on either side of the set point to preserve the compressor so if you set below 37f you might get some freezing of the contents. I haven’t cranked it down below freezing yet, but I have no doubt that it will do that. Mine came preset to Fahrenheit so it isn’t an issue to convert from centigrade. It has an internal fan (probably a muffin fan) to push heat away from the compressor. The fan isn’t very strong so is likely the weak point of the system. I haven’t taken this apart so I don’t know the brand of compressor. If I wanted to upgrade this unit I’d install a higher flow fan.

Looks like the temperature fluctuates about 4 degrees on either side of the set point to preserve the compressor

Per the manual this is adjustable. But I wouldn't go any shorter as I believe short cycling is detrimental to the compressor. Mine has been running in the dining room for several days. What I notice is a pretty good shudder when the compressor shuts off but you still hear the fan for a second. But anyway for the price I don't think it can be beat. I'm going to use it as my backyard party and weekend camping cooler to see how it holds up. I'm less concerned about this walking away or getting damaged than I am my Engel.

I bought 2 of these during the Costo sale. I figured with their return policy the risk was minimal. Both are plugged in to household power although one was plugged into a car for a 2 hr grocery run. Currently one is holding freezer bags with ice. It takes a little while to freeze things (overnight or so for a quart bag) but holds steady after that. I currently have 5 quarts in there at around 20 degrees. The other is holding 12 beverages at 37 degrees which means it cycles down to 33 degrees. There is some fan/ compressor noise when running. ( My dB meter says 42 dB at 3 feet) so it’s pretty quiet). Interior of the house is running 76 degrees so no major stress on the units. So far, no issues.

well guys i hope they work out for you all. i went down this road with the ol' cheap Edgestar brand back in the day and eventually lost the gamble,,, but it wet my appetite enough to see the light and buy the then brand new redesigned ARB 50.... 12'ish yrs later and the ARB still starts up and runs perfectly everytime..... i have forgotten about the price a long time ago.

just saying, it cost me $300 MORE than if i'd just bought the ARB to begin with. so just be prepared for that if it fails, cause you WILL love having a fridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom