Online HZJ80R resources? Or, what's that leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

I'm trying to find any online resources to help me find my way around my HZJ80R. I don't have the owner manual and am aware those are a rare and treasured item. I have a lousy mechanics brain but am trying to learn. The rig currently has a slow oil leak, following on from a complete clutch replacement that was done by my local mechanic, and I am trying to work out where it is coming from and what it might mean without having to pay the mechanic to tell me... not sure if it's related to the clutch replacement or not.

Are there any online resources or manuals that folk are aware of? I have the repair manual, but am really after an Engine & Transmission 101 or HZJ80R for Total Dummies level of schematic diagram.

All I have been able to find is this, and the image and text are both pretty unreadable: Transmission and chassis for Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ80R-GCKRS - Amayama - https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/epc/toyota-general/land_cruiser/HZJ80R/8786/chassis

I've also taken a pic of the seal that is leaking... please don't laugh at my woeful lack of knowledge.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_8900.jpg

Ha - figured it out thanks to a retrieved repair manual. This is the seal between the engine and the clutch housing, so it was the clutch replacement that prompted this. We were able to tighten a couple of the bolts by hand, which I figure we shouldn't have been able to do and the truck barely leaked overnight. Yes, I am a total newbie, but at least I'm learning...

Ha - figured it out thanks to a retrieved repair manual. This is the seal between the engine and the clutch housing, so it was the clutch replacement that prompted this. We were able to tighten a couple of the bolts by hand, which I figure we shouldn't have been able to do and the truck barely leaked overnight. Yes, I am a total newbie, but at least I'm learning...
Go to the "Resources" tab above and you can find the FSM for all models.

You can also find factory engine repair manual for your engine.

Sorry to say, there's no seal where the engine and bell housing bolt together.

Is the oil black engine oil?
Or stinky gear oil?

If it's black engine oil, it could be the rear main seal (crankshaft seal) which is inside the bell housing in the back of the engine block. Tightening bolts will have no effect if that is indeed your problem
Or it could be leaking higher up from the rocker cover gasket

Best to degrease as much as possible then check for fresh oil

You can also find factory engine repair manual for your engine.

Sorry to say, there's no seal where the engine and bell housing bolt together.

Is the oil black engine oil?
Or stinky gear oil?

If it's black engine oil, it could be the rear main seal (crankshaft seal) which is inside the bell housing in the back of the engine block. Tightening bolts will have no effect if that is indeed your problem
Or it could be leaking higher up from the rocker cover gasket

Best to degrease as much as possible then check for fresh oil
Thanks so much for the reply.

It's black engine oil, but the leak seems to have stopped. I'll give it a bit of a clean and see what happens overnight.

How would I tell the difference between a crankshaft seal leak and rocker cover gasket leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom