1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Degrees

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by baldboy, Aug 21, 2006.

1. baldboy

baldboy

Does anyone know where a person could get a legitimate online degree (bachelor's)?

I always see the commercial but wonder if they have any weight or any value at all.

I am in school at OSU right now but am tired of the outrageous costs and fees and really need to work full time and go to school.

2. cary

cary

Those online degree programs are great. When you run out of toilet paper, they work perfectly for wiping your ass. Other than that, they were worth next to nothing.

I find the fact that you have to ask the question a bit disturbing as you were smart enough to get into a real college, so the answer should (IMHO) be clear to you.

If you think college is expensive, think about how much quiting costs. On average you will earn much less as a college dropout than having a Bachelors degree. There will be many doors in life that will never be open to you, no matter how smart you are. Perhaps most importantly, if you drop out, you will lose respect for yourself, and it will effect how others see you. When you have kids, do you want them to see you as educated and intelligent, or a dropout. How about your wife/partner when you get there.

In short, stick it out. It is hard when you are working (I worked 25-35 hours a week during college) and going to school. When you look back in 5-10 years, you will be glad you stuck it out and wonder why you ever considered quitting.

3. baldboy

baldboy

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't considering dropping out, I was just trying to find a better alternative so that I might be able to earn enough money to pay the bills.

I figured the online degrees were pretty worthless, but had to ask.

Thanks.

4. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Depends on the program. Look for distance programs from respected schools. Avoid University of Phoenix.

5. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

6. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a Ph.D in Entenmannology from University of Phoenix.

7. WagonsRule

WagonsRule

Really? What is your favorite? I can't get enough of those little chocolate chip cookies. Eat 'em by the dozen.

8. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    :cool:

9. Jman

Jman

Looks like baldboy just got the third degree . . . online! :grinpimp:

10. 45Kevin

45Kevin

You could look into co-op programs if they are available in your field, or go part-time for a year or two. If you do the summer courses you can still do almost a years worth of courses in 12 months. It is far easier to struggle as a student now than to struggle as a student when you are a father or husband with a mortgage etc. etc..

Hang in there.

11. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Not all online degrees are bad. USC, UConn, and a few other schools offer degree programs that are administered online, yet follow the standard academic calender and class curriculum. They offer these degrees as traditional programs and the diploma and transcripts are the same that are issued for attending classes on campus.

If anything, you get more out of some of these classes because you are required to follow the class closer on your own than attending a class you can cut or sleep through. Online classes don't allow you to catch up and cram using class notes from others.

If you are already in a job or career with a lot of time invested, you may be rewarded for you efforts by obtaining a degree online. For example, working in most municipal, K-12 education, Law Enforcement, and similar jobs allow you to get an online degree based raise. They don't care about who you get the degree from as long as it's an Accredited Institution from a responsible accreditation council.

Many companies favor online degrees because you are showing personal incentive to better yourself, qualify yourself for greater responsibility, increase the quality of your work, and it's not on company time.

Most municipalities care less about where you went to school than they do about your GPA and course of study. When it comes down to the nitty gritty, all they care about is school accreditation and your GPA. You can often get a job with a great GPA than a lower GPA from a more prestigious school.

If you work for a Wall Street firm or big business, then Wharton, Yale, and Harvard are the only way to go.

If I were a school teacher with no future aspirations to purse a PhD, then getting an online degree might help me promote and get raises while continuing to work. As far as most schools are concerned, this is an acceptable path.

If you are like me, where you'd like to teach on the University level and do research, then you will be destroying your academic future with online degrees. Unless of course, you get the degree from a solid institution that administers the program online, but follows the academic year, assigned topics, and standard test schedules. You are attending school just like those on campus, but you are reading lectures online, watching them on a direct stream, and you meet with your study groups in a chat group. the only advantage is that you can stay at home and do most of your work off hours. In other words, you might as well be on campus. The program is not accelerated. The 4 year program takes 4 years. These are the programs I would recommend as you have standard transcripts yet have some flexibility in your schedule and location.

Be wary though, online degrees can sink a career or future educational opportunities.

I like attending school. I was married with 3 kids, had a full time job, a 120 mile daily commute, fully remodeled my house, and graduated from U.C. Davis in 4 years and 1 quarter. It sucked, but it was worth the sacrifices.

12. gladly

gladly User title

"online degree" is kind of vague, are you talking correspondance course or buying a certificate from some asshat spammer?? lots of colleges do distance education things where you do the course on your own time and go to them for the tests, and they are legitimate. They also are generally a lot harder to do, because you don't have an instructor explaining s*** to you, and you don't have regular scheduled class and study times. takes discipline
    another option would be to take a year or a term off, and get some kind of trade school course that will let you make better money while you finish your BA. learn to weld, or something, and you'll make more and be happier then if you're hawking slurpees at the kwik-e mart

13. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Most accredited colleges and universities have online classes now.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">