One stock Land Cruiser better than another? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
First a little bit of history. I have owned countless Land Cruisers. Most specifically 1995 to 1997 Land Cruisers. And to go along with it I have also owned numerous Lexus LX 450s.

Like many others I have purchased Land Cruisers from far away. I have flown and take an Uber to some pretty remote places. And I have closed many successful deals and driven home yet another Land Cruiser.

While driving home late last night I thought it would be worth mentioning in a thread the incredible differences in performance and fuel economy that I have noticed amongst numerous like vehicles.

Needless to say, some with lift most without. Some with tires close to stock, others not. Some with 225,000+ miles. Some with under 100,000 miles. Everything in between.

What amazed me on my trip last night was that while using an accurate gauge combined with GPS I completed a 457 mile journey and was able to get over 20mpg. All flatland driving. Air conditioning on. Stock vehicle.

The other thing that I noticed on this particular vehicle is even with The odometer over 200,000 The engine performance was incredible. It’s as if this vehicle was entirely different than almost any other I have driven.

Of course two weeks ago in Nevada I backed out of a sale on a stock cruiser with less miles in excellent condition with countless records from Toyota and it couldn’t get out of its own way.

I understand the tolerances within the manufacturing industry. And that each motor maybe a little different than the previous or the next. But I am amazed at how much difference there is.

No doubt, maintenance, time, weather, use or abuse, etc. certainly play their own role in this.

i’m curious to know what others have experienced.

Last edited:
first a little bit of history. I have owned countless Land Cruisers. Most specifically 1995 to 1997 Land Cruisers. And to go along with it I have also owned numerous Lexus LX 450s.

like many others I have purchased Land Cruisers from far away. I have flown and take an Uber to some pretty remote places. And I have closed many successful deals and driven home yet another Land Cruiser.

While driving home late last night I thought it would be worth mentioning in a thread the incredible differences in performance and fuel economy that I have noticed amongst numerous like vehicles.

Needless to say, some with lift most without. Some with tires close to stock, others not. Some with 225,000+ miles. Some with under 100,000 miles. Everything in between.

what amazed me on my trip last night was that while using an accurate gauge combined with GPS I completed a 457 mile journey and was able to get over 20mpg. All flatland driving. Air conditioning on. Stock vehicle.

The other thing that I noticed on this particular vehicle is even with The odometer over 200,000 The engine performance was incredible. It’s as if this vehicle was entirely different than almost any other I have driven.

Of course two weeks ago in Nevada I backed out of a sale on a stock cruiser with less miles in excellent condition with countless records from Toyota and it couldn’t get out of its own way.

I understand the tolerances within the manufacturing industry. And that each motor maybe a little different than the previous or the next. But I am amazed at how much difference there is.

No doubt, maintenance, time, weather, use or abuse, etc. certainly play their own role in this.

i’m curious to know what others have experienced.
First of all, very jealous of the one you purchased. If I had seen it as quick as you it'd be in my driveway :flipoff2:

To speak to your actual post though, I have definitely noticed what you are saying, maybe not to the same degree but there are some obvious differences in how different '95-'97 80s drive and how they feel. Age is weird and once vehicles get old like these it can have varying effects.

he probably had one of these in the intake :flipoff2:

Universal-Air-Intake-Supercharger-Kit-Admission-Air-Turbo-Turbonator-Driver-Engine-Fuel-Delivery-Car-Accessories-Truck.jpg

I would have to agree. I've driven around 10-15 different 80 series (Never driven a 3FE 80 to be honest) and they all were different beasts.

If you were real OCD/Crazy you could pull engine Blue print entire thing and see if you can repeat performance on another 1.
In hind sight mine was "Rebuilt" by previous owner (with Toyota parts he says) and he had head milled not sure how much but mine seems to run better than others I have driven. I attribute it to maybe a slight bump in compression. But I've never seen 20mpg, that's just crazy/lucky planets were lined up just perfect. See if you can repeat mileage. Inquiring minds.........:flipoff2:

On my ‘97 LX back at around 200K I would reliably get 17-18 mpg on long highway trips with cruise set at 60 mph. This was with stock Michelin street tires and no roof rack.

Now at 300K with 33’s, roof rack, and drawers I still get what I consider good mileage for an 80. 15 mpg on long highway trips. This past weekend on a 500 mile highway trip, pulling a 1500 lb box trailer, I still averaged 13 mpg 👍.

IMO the key is a light right foot and religiously using cruise control.

20 years and a couple hundred thousand miles, as well as variable maintenance, can give very different results. Wkth the exception of engine wear, if a truck isn't up to the norm, it can usually be improved with some TLC and $$. Unlike some vehicles, sinking several thousand into catching up with service and correcting any naughty bits is usually a worthwhile investment with an 80.

Sans roof rack, running on skinny 33s, and with an ARB, I regularly see 17 MPG at 70 mph - on the level with no head wind. Haven't been back to Colorado yet since purchase, but the return trip eastbound across Kansas to the Midwest usually see impressive mileage figures in all the vehicles I've done it in, so could see it doing 20 MPG with conservative use of the gopedal.

20 years and a couple hundred thousand miles, as well as variable maintenance, can give very different results. Wkth the exception of engine wear, if a truck isn't up to the norm, it can usually be improved with some TLC and $$. Unlike some vehicles, sinking several thousand into catching up with service and correcting any naughty bits is usually a worthwhile investment with an 80.

Sans roof rack, running on skinny 33s, and with an ARB, I regularly see 17 MPG at 70 mph - on the level with no head wind. Haven't been back to Colorado yet since purchase, but the return trip eastbound across Kansas to the Midwest usually see impressive mileage figures in all the vehicles I've done it in, so could see it doing 20 MPG with conservative use of the gopedal.
Makes me want to try some 235/85/16 on non-wheeling road trips with the camper :cool:

Timing has a lot to do with how they “feel” performance wise.

mine was a total turd when I got it. Couldn’t hold 45mph up a mountain pass. All fixed up it will hold 70mph up the same pass.

Cheers

Timing has a lot to do with how they “feel” performance wise.

mine was a total turd when I got it. Couldn’t hold 45mph up a mountain pass. All fixed up it will hold 70mph up the same pass.

Cheers
I'd agree, timing may have more to do with it than I give it credit for.

some just run better. my 95/6/7/wtfever i created from parts runs stupid good.

my buddy has a new engine (less than 5K miles) and both of us are on 35s. he has 4.88 and i have stock gears. i will destroy him at the traffic light. leaks oil from everywhere, smokes like hell on start up, who know how many miles on the engine, i didnt even change plugs and wires when i stuffed it in there. it just runs great. i keep saying i am going to build it one day but it runs too good to worry about it.

got a weed you need killed? let me park over it. drips like mad from the oil pump seal. i know @thatcabledude had a 93 that pulled harder than most 95+ rigs.

I'd agree, timing may have more to do with it than I give it credit for.

interested...
how are people adjusting timing in these things?

some just run better. my 95/6/7/wtfever i created from parts runs stupid good.

my buddy has a new engine (less than 5K miles) and both of us are on 35s. he has 4.88 and i have stock gears. i will destroy him at the traffic light. leaks oil from everywhere, smokes like hell on start up, who know how many miles on the engine, i didnt even change plugs and wires when i stuffed it in there. it just runs great. i keep saying i am going to build it one day but it runs too good to worry about it.

got a weed you need killed? let me park over it. drips like mad from the oil pump seal. i know @thatcabledude had a 93 that pulled harder than most 95+ rigs.
Factory freaks are a thing

I advanced a little bit of timing on my 3FE, probably about 10-12 degree, and was able to pass a buddy of mine in his 97 on a long mountain climb. I started off behind him at the beginning, and when we get to the top of the pass, he was a good 2-3 bus lengths behind. His rig was a bit heavier with rear drawers and whatever tho, both of us on 37s, i have 4.88 gear vs 5.29 on his..

I am always getting 16 to 17 MPG running 35s. When in a convoy with other 80s mine always pulls harder and gets better fuel mileage. Very well kept 97 with 146k. Must have been built on a Wednesday.

I think we are all overthinking it....these trucks are not build for speed, so who freaking care if one is slightly faster than the other. On paper, they are all SLOW! I was recently in Thailand and Cambodia, 100 series there are like Toyota Prius here, they are everywhere, and so are 200 series and 80 series....point being is, these trucks are made majority for the 2nd and 3rd world country where they mostly see dirt and unpaved roads and hardly ever get over 60mph..
xD8UQzM.jpg

I think we are all overthinking it....these trucks are not build for speed, so who freaking care if one is slightly faster than the other.

True... but it's interesting to hear stories about why some have more pep in their step at the stock level.

Sounds like a fun trip, please share more cruiser photos!

I think we are all overthinking it....these trucks are not build for speed, so who freaking care if one is slightly faster than the other. On paper, they are all SLOW! I was recently in Thailand and Cambodia, 100 series there are like Toyota Prius here, they are everywhere, and so are 200 series and 80 series....point being is, these trucks are made majority for the 2nd and 3rd world country where they mostly see dirt and unpaved roads and hardly ever get over 60mph..
xD8UQzM.jpg

Don't know why we couldn't have gotten the factory tire rack here. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom