1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

one dim headlight on 60

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by garsticker, Feb 21, 2004.

1. garsticker

garsticker

I have a dim headlight on the driver side of my '82 60..I have replaced the lamp but it is still dim...what do I do?

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Check wiring, specifically the ground.

3. garsticker

garsticker

checked wiring ,,,no faulty ground..what else could it be

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    check the connection at the switch...did you "visually" check the ground wire, or remove the bolt/screw and clean it??

Additionally, make sure the 3-prong connector that attaches to the blub is corrosion free.

5. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

The headlights have separate fuses. Your might try swapping the fuses to rule out a bad fuse or dirty connection in the fuse block. Try swapping the sealed beams to rule out the lamp itself. Not sure if the two lamps run through a common circuit in the headlamp relay though. On US spec 60s, I believe the relay is switching the ground. You might try puling the relay out, cleaning the prongs or just replace the whole relay. You could test for +12v at the lamp socket to make sure the hot wiring is good. Thne test for resistance on the ground side on the socket. Hmm, could I have left anything out? HTHs

6. moT1

moT1

I had the same problem. In my case it was a fuse. The fuse is on the ground side of the circut, and even with one blown, there was enough bleeding to ground to get small current through bulb, hence, dim headlight.

7. Jman

Jman

I had same problem, driver's side. Turns out the wire going to the connector had almost no insulation and was frayed, so light wasn't getting enough current.

I also found out that much of the wiring on that side had problems--the insulation was brittle in a few places and my side marker light was crumbling. I think the heat on that side of the engine over the years caused the plastic to lose its elasticity--especially those months with an exhaust leak.

Recheck all connections--light, fusebox, ground.

Good luck.

8. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

I just spent some time looking at the wiring diagram in the Toyota book. The headlight relay switches the +12 going to the 2 fuses. The fuses go directly to the leadlamp connectors. The hi/lo dimmer switch switches the ground. I've thought about doing the H4 Hella/IPF lamp upgrade but totally redoing the wiring for increased current looks like a real pain if you don't want the higher current flowing through the hi/low switch.

9. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    IPF makes a great harness that goes really well with the H4 replacement headlamp units they sell. Takes power directly from the battery, and uses the power from the original truck wiring harness, to switch the relays only...

The IPF harness has seperate on/off, a high beam, and low beam relays..

I have used mine for over five years...works great.

Good luck!

-Steve

10. garsticker

garsticker

THANKS FELLAS
    I found my problem one of the fuses was bad..I replaced it and now I can actually see my side of the road
    Barry

11. wildman4wheeler

wildman4wheeler

i had the same problem one night got out to look and had about a inch of mud caked and burnt on it