One(1) question & a Thank you to the forums ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, the simple question I guess.
How do you purge the coolant system of air ? -- I've searched, maybe not hard enough but got some mixed answers, some of which to me were unclear.

Aside from that, a big THANK YOU to this forum as the resources here are simply great.

Recently had some abrupt issues (See Recent Post)

Started by looking at the easiest things, but really scratched my head a lot since I'm not that familiar with engines and the functions of different systems etc ....

Although one thread came up in my efforts of searching for an answer, which lead me to check all the vacuum lines. In doing that, I found the breather hose on the valve cover had a crack that I didnt see before. Additionally, the grommet for the PCV wasn't in tact. You could touch the hose and it would lift off, grommet/PCV and all as one piece. Headed to the dealer and replaced the PCV, both hoses and it ran extremely rough afterwards with a lot of front end vibration .... thinking it wasn't it & that maybe I was screwed. I parked it, had a :beer: , went outside to pick up my son 2 miles down the road(dont worry, 1 beer & 30 minutes later) and it drove smoothly. No issues what so ever. :bounce:

I'm guessing there is a relearn process on the ECU ?(someone validate or correct me on that) - Cause I did disconnect the battery for a few minutes while I replaced the hoses.

Anyhow, Thank you MUD and MUD community.

Sincerly, Juan.
P.S. I told a fella on here and I'll extend this to everyone as well. If your in my area and need a garage if you live in an apartment or something, just let me know. My garage is always open ... but be advised to bring your own tools.
:cheers:

Juan,
Yes, when the control systems choke, the battery loses power, etc, it does relearn things. I've experienced it a couple of times. Others usually report it "fixes itself" after a couple of start and drives.

Best way to purge the cooling system is to park a hot, running truck with front end up on a slope, then let it burp it's way out as you keep it topped up. You should leave the radiator cap loose as it warms up to avoid opening the cap once it's warmed up.

Reading your previous thread, the only time I have seen bucking like that (on one of my vehicles) was a bad vacuum leak.

A Cooling system with air in it would not cause that to the best of my knowledge, but a symptom of air in the cooling system WOULD be a fluctuation in engine temp, or taking a long time to get good heat in the cold. But yeah, park on a steep slope, open the hood, loosen the rad cap (or remove) and turn on both the front and rear heat to burp an air bubble.

Thank you both for the coolant burp deal. I asked that because in figuring out the vac leak, I took the time to replace the heater control valve since mine was leaking.
Also did the charcoal canister that someone posted about from rockauto.com since my truck has so many miles & was experiencing pressure @ the gas cap. Then did spark plugs & wires... Which being 5 foot nothing is a task on those back 3 cylinders.

Thanks again everyone... Now for fun stuff since my OME J springs are in, just gotta order the shocks I want.

Another hint on getting into the engine bay for pulling plugs or any other job. It makes life so much easier if you let the air out of your front tires - how would you like to have an extra 10 inches or so height to get in there? Pull the core, let em drain, get easy access.

Another hint on getting into the engine bay for pulling plugs or any other job. It makes life so much easier if you let the air out of your front tires - how would you like to have an extra 10 inches or so height to get in there? Pull the core, let em drain, get easy access.

I'll have to try that, but no way of putting air back in as of right now. I'll just have to keep using this step stool I bought at home depot that keeps sliding away from me and laying across the engine bay ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom