On the road- help needed near hatteras obx -'00 lx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
My hundy brake line snapped and I see fluid leaked on passenger side befor rear tire, brake fluid reservoir empty and dash lit up with the lights.
Tried calling near by mechanics but none could get it checked today.
Anyone near by hatteras and can help or know anyone that can help fix it?

If it’s the hardline that snapped, and since you’ll have to replace it anyway - you can fold it back on itself a couple of times with some pliers and then crimp it with some ratcheting get vice grips (and leave them if they are small)

fill it back up - but you might have issues with codes and lights if the whole system drained until you can get it re-bled

If it’s the hardline that snapped, and since you’ll have to replace it anyway - you can fold it back on itself a couple of times with some pliers and then crimp it with some ratcheting get vice grips (and leave them if they are small)

fill it back up - but you might have issues with codes and lights if the whole system drained until you can get it re-bled
Thanks Cboyd. I am mechanically challenged, I hate that now, shoulda learnt some basics that could come handy in situations like this.

Are you in Hatteras Village? If so, Balance Oil is your best bet if you can't handle the repair yourself. Bill is the owner / operator and has helped us when we needed it with our trucks over the 30+ years we've been going out there, including our 100. He's a good, honest guy to deal with.

A few notes that may help and prepare your expectations:

Bill is the only one working so repairs can take a few days, especially if there is a backlog in front of you and / or he has to go off island for parts. There is a good Napa in Buxton that has pretty good inventory for out there but if he can't get a part there, plan for at least an extra day for courier / delivery.

He keeps odd hours, comes in very early and leaves early so if you go by make sure it isn't afternoon or later unless to just drop the truck in front of his shop. His bread and butter out there is obviously domestic stuff so the Land Cruiser can be a bit of a learning curve but a snapped brake line should be straightforward enough he should be able to get you back on the road pretty quickly.

Are you in Hatteras Village? If so, Balance Oil is your best bet if you can't handle the repair yourself. Bill is the owner / operator and has helped us when we needed it with our trucks over the 30+ years we've been going out there, including our 100. He's a good, honest guy to deal with.

A few notes that may help and prepare your expectations:

Bill is the only one working so repairs can take a few days, especially if there is a backlog in front of you and / or he has to go off island for parts. There is a good Napa in Buxton that has pretty good inventory for out there but if he can't get a part there, plan for at least an extra day for courier / delivery.

He keeps odd hours, comes in very early and leaves early so if you go by make sure it isn't afternoon or later unless to just drop the truck in front of his shop. His bread and butter out there is obviously domestic stuff so the Land Cruiser can be a bit of a learning curve but a snapped brake line should be straightforward enough he should be able to get you back on the road pretty quickly.
Thanks for the info, I went there and see he is closed till tomorrow, one good samaritan helped hook the trailer in the frisco wood rv park. Kid and fam are out of sun now, if nothing pans out then will give him a call tomorrow, do you have his number by any chance?

1629127423086.png

I had a line break in the same place but on the driver side a few months ago in Charlotte. It was able to be patched, luckily. Best part was how great the brakes worked with all new fluid!

Side note - I spend some time every month in Gainesville VA and usually have a bunch of CLCC guys gather for breakfast on a weekend day at The Bone BBQ. Keep your eyes out for a post in their clubhouse in a couple weeks. Had about 15-16 people last weekend!

Update:
Reached back home with a rental. Thanks for chiming in. I will get the hundy back home and get it fixed.

I had a line break in the same place but on the driver side a few months ago in Charlotte. It was able to be patched, luckily. Best part was how great the brakes worked with all new fluid!

Side note - I spend some time every month in Gainesville VA and usually have a bunch of CLCC guys gather for breakfast on a weekend day at The Bone BBQ. Keep your eyes out for a post in their clubhouse in a couple weeks. Had about 15-16 people last weekend!
I've never heard of this. Most hard lines on the Cruiser are fixed in place. Any idea on what causes this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom