On-Board Water (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been wondering what you guys out there have done in regards to on-board water. I'm thinking of building something using 8" PVC tubing with a mounted (and concealed ) windshield washer motor to provide needed pressure.

Feel free to post ideas on the construction, materials and most importantly location of the tank as i plan to place mine at the rear of my roof rack and I'm worried about the side-to-side balance issues, photos would be excellent.

PS: For this to be realistic as a mobile shower/wash combo, capacity would not be less than 20-30 liters. :cheers:

trying to remember who did this - want to say tofudabeast... He put in a fire extinguisher for rinsing off after surfing. Pressurized to 100psi or something w/ water in it. replaced nozzle so it's more of a sprinkle head and not a blast at that pressure. enough for a couple rinses... Try a search.

HTH!

rob

It was JPWaltz who did that. Suggest searching Expo Portal for "Showers" and variations of on-board water as there are a couple really helpful posts over there.

One that I recall in particular did what you are proposing to do, specifically for shower use. He used black ABS mounted on the sides of the roof rack so that the sun would warm the water.

Last edited:
I used a washer pump on our pop up camper when the hand pump quit - it works great but the flow is not super fast. There are quite a few poly "tanks" available out there - if you decide to mount a tank under the truck. Coolest idea listed above with mounting black PVC to heat the water with the sun!!

If money is no issue - I have also seen formable "tanks" for boats, where you insert the "tank" through a small opening (it's like a bag) then you inflate it - and insert a UV light. The UV light "cures" the tank into a rigid storage tank the exact shape of the void you inserted it in. I think they were made by Vetus...

FlexiTank makes a bladder than you can put into the side panel that holds like 50L. ARB Australia sells them.

If money is no issue - I have also seen formable "tanks" for boats, where you insert the "tank" through a small opening (it's like a bag) then you inflate it - and insert a UV light. The UV light "cures" the tank into a rigid storage tank the exact shape of the void you inserted it in. I think they were made by Vetus...

I'd like more info on this. I checked Vetus's website and found no such thing?

Use their online catalog, its called the Easy Tank and is on page 68-69. These look amazing for anything!

Thanks, found it on pg. 88-89. I think it could be really useful. Maybe in the rear quarter panels?

the 15 gallon easy tank looks like it costs 800 bones. yikes.

...formable "tanks" for boats...QUOTE]
[hijack on]
You know what "boat" stands for, right?

Bring
On
Another
Thousand

And "boats"

Bring
On
Another
Thousand
SUCKER

[hijack off]

Here's an idea I've been throwing around. Many of us have recently gone to OBA systems. Why not get one of those cheapo garden sprayers with the hand pump and attach a regulated air line from an OBA system and use the sprayer handle to distribute the water. Then you won't have to mess with hand pumping the sprayer. You could do the same thing with an RV tank plumbed with an air line, and then use any type of sprayer you see fit. And if you don't have an OBA system already on the rig, well, isn't it about time? :D

Here's an idea I've been throwing around. Many of us have recently gone to OBA systems. Why not get one of those cheapo garden sprayers with the hand pump and attach a regulated air line from an OBA system and use the sprayer handle to distribute the water. Then you won't have to mess with hand pumping the sprayer. You could do the same thing with an RV tank plumbed with an air line, and then use any type of sprayer you see fit. And if you don't have an OBA system already on the rig, well, isn't it about time? :D

That's a good idea there. It'd be hard to regulate the output of a York or something to make it low enough pressure, right?

I have had my york for a year and it still hasn't gone on yet.

One guy on Expo (Stumptaco) did that for his shower using a tire valve and (I think) a clip-on air chuck, but he's found that it is easier to regulate water consumption with the hand pump.

If you don't mind compressor oil in your water, I'm sure it would be fine - but if you have ever watched what comes out of an air tool - you might think again!

Well, my OBA goes from the compressor to the tank, then to an oil/water separator before it goes back to the manifold. You can get a very simple regulator and second oil/water separator for very little $ and you'd be in business. I see your point about using the hand pump, but now you have to store the tank somewhere in the passenger compartment. With my plan you can use an RV tank and store it in the spare tire location. You could use a York setup, or an electric compressor with a regulator to give you nice consistent pressure.

I know it's not a perfect solution, but it's looking at it from another angle and someone might build upon this idea and come up with something even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom