On board Water? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched but found nothing conclusive. Does anyone know if any company makes a tank for carrying water underneath the truck? Such as mounting in between the frame rail and the outer body?

Have you looked a caravan water tanks. Wouldn't be too hard to make some brackets to mount it to the chassis

I'm sure there at least a few options out of Australia. I've seen form fitted hilux underbody water tanks, but I can't remember from which company. I thought it was TJM or ARB, but neither website shows them.

There is this option: Flexi Tank Water Tanks

I bought a couple 2.5 gallon Scepter plastic water cans... Slee - Scepter Jerry Cans

Most water cans are in 5 gallons and make it a pain to store and dig out to use. The smaller cans are more versital and you can carry as many or as few as you want. They also fit in standard jerry can holders if you want to mount them outside the vehicle.

An underbody tank would be nice, though. The one drawback I wouldn't like is not being able to easily clean out the tank if it got contanimated and the water probably gets pretty hot while driving around in the summer.

You might also try looking over at Expedition Portal: Vehicle Dependent Overland Community

I have serached for a similar solution. I see so many great storage areas under the chassis, but it's hard to find tanks that will fit. I have searched online at numerous RV and marine sites and so far found nothing. In the meantime, the best solution I have come up with is a 21 gallon ABS tank I found online that fits exactly between the wheel wells in the cargo area. It's pretty much the same depth and height of the wheel wells so I will build my drawer/storage setup around it. Even though is uses valuable space, there are advantages to having the tank inside - less likely to break from road debris slinging around under the truck and less suseptible to freezing or heat so you have a more stable water temp.

Yeah having it outside the truck guarantees it to freeze during winter.

Here is another possible option, although its not outside the vehicle:
Opposite Lock Australia

Its very thin and will hold 40L of water. I've have considering building this in the drawer system design i am working on.

The only issue with his is that the spare is gone and you cant use a spare gas tank but other wise pretty neat.

80RBweb14.jpg

Cabela's sells these:

Cabela's -- Kolpin ATV Fuel and Water Packs

Haven't tried one myself, but I thought it would attach to the tailgate, but like I said, haven't measured or tried. They come in 4 gal and 1.5 gal, probably could be stacked together to get the volume one needs.

I've been looking for a slim tank, only a few inches tall, but wide that I could maybe mount on the roofrack and use a gravity feed. The opposite lock and cabellas versions look promising....

...Looks like I got another project to work on.

Yeah having it outside the truck guarantees it to freeze during winter.

Here is another possible option, although its not outside the vehicle:
Opposite Lock Australia

Its very thin and will hold 40L of water. I've have considering building this in the drawer system design i am working on.

Nice idea, but the dimensions listed show it to be 26" high - to high for the kind of drawer system I'm thinking about.

The one in the bottom picture doesn't appear to be the same as the one in the upper pictures and looks to have a more reasonable height.

Cabela's sells these:

Cabela's -- Kolpin ATV Fuel and Water Packs

Haven't tried one myself, but I thought it would attach to the tailgate, but like I said, haven't measured or tried. They come in 4 gal and 1.5 gal, probably could be stacked together to get the volume one needs.

I'd take a look at the reviews - lots of people complaining that they leak.

Well I am looking for one that would be the same height as the rear seats. Then have the drawer system butted up to it. But the only reason Im not too keen on that is that I lose all sorts of potential storage accessible from the rear seats. I've seen in old FJ40 with the hardtop still on, this guy actually mounted a thin tank to the rear roll cages but he made brackets that basically mounted it up against the roof. Then it was just gravity fed down.

I'd take a look at the reviews - lots of people complaining that they leak.

Good catch Eric, went back and looked, many dissatisfied due to leaks. Probably all about the gas tanks, but I assume they're identical. Water leaks would be less critical but annoying still the same. Wonder if they've improved them?

These guys will make custom tanks - no idea what they cost. Probably not cheap.
All-Rite Custom Manufacturing
- Plastic-Mart -

There was a guy that posted his drawer system here a few weeks ago. He had a storage compartment across the width of the truck at the front of the drawers. That would be ideal with a removable tank. Storage when you don't need the water, drop the tank in when you do. Puts the weight near the middle of the truck, though not as low as something in all that space between the DS frame rail & rockers.

I've been thinking about the pump also. What do you think about hooking up a low pressure regulator - maybe 3 - 5 psi - to an onboard air system. I figure even a 1 gallon air tank at 125PSI ought to be plenty for a modest size tank at 3PSI.

oh man, pressurized water tank!!! haha, that would up the cool factor. I like that better than hooking up yet another electrical device with something to go wrong :p

oh man, pressurized water tank!!! haha, that would up the cool factor. I like that better than hooking up yet another electrical device with something to go wrong :p

Yea, but you're just trading electrical gremlins for air leak gremlins :meh:

What I like about it is that you could tap into the system at different places and get flow. Wouldn't have to have all the connections downstream of the pump. Whether that's an issue in practice ... I dunno. This is way down my list of cruiser projects right now.

EricG - great idea about pressurizing the tank. I'm going to look into that. I think I'd rather deal with the potential air leaks than a 12v pump that could break down. Plus, it's super cheap assuming you already have onboard air and an air tank.

I bought a brand new 4 gallon plastic spray fumigator. Just fill it with plain water, pump several times and you have pressurized water enough to clear the body from sand and salted water before getting inside the cruiser :grinpimp:.

The secret, in the summer, to have my kids happy is to let it stand in the roof as to be heated by the sun and ready to use just before we leave the beach.

If you adjust the nozzle to a fine mist, 4 gallon will last a lot and the pump is enviroment friendly :D.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom