on board compressors and welders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone running um? im lookin for suggestions. I wanna be able to run air tools, air up tires, and fix broken stuff (duh, but i figured id lay it out).

I also have a budget and space contraints, so i cant run a suuper elaborate gnarly expedition rig setup. under hood or under car or neatly tuck awayable is nice... I carry bikes in the back, and they take up all the space available in the back...

but in the spirit of simplicity, just speak youre mind on what you run or what youve seen work well... dont worry bout my contraints

so i did a search, and came up with some engine driven stuff, like the york thing... but is there anyhting in teh way of a air system that runs on electricity? ive seen some portable compressors in the big name mags, but are those good enough for my needs? is theres a certain spec in cfm and stuff that im looking for to run air tools? or if the compressor did flow enough on its own, maybe run it to an air tank under the body or somethin?:confused:

You are probably not going to be satisfied with the cost and maybe performance of getting a decent OBA compressor and tank. You might look into a CO2 system. Something like the Powertank or Oasis (and I'm sure there are others). CO2 is just a bottle with a regulator. The only decent price compressor worth anything is the MV50 that has recently risen to over $50. Other compressors comparable might run 6x that much. CO2 has a decent life before it needs to be refilled and it is something like $15. Just something to think about.

I'm building a 12V powered York compressor. It uses a Ramsey 5HP winch motor to drive the York, through a customized spider coupling.

This setup is expected to deliver 8CFM @125 PSI. This is plenty for tools and tires.

The down side to this setup is that it requires a dual battery setup. the winch motor is expected to draw over 200A when pumping near full pressure.

For what it's worth...

if you want a good electric compressor that will handle the demands of air tools, I would go with the Oasis. it runs off of a winch style motor and puts out awesome cfm, but they are spendy...

Linky... www.oasismfg.com/index.html

Last edited:
cool, thanks yall... those oasis compressors are bad ass...

any info on on-board welders?

Why not buy an Air Conditioning pump from a wrecker, mount it in your engine bay to run off the engine and then mount a small (or couple) of tanks either inside or underneath the truck. The AC pumps output a lot and they can be turned on/off with a flick of a switch. You can put a regulator on it just like regular compressors to cut out at a certain pressure. Install all your goodies, water filter, pressure regulator, hell you can even put it a retractable hose reel if you got the space.
As for welders, I've see a couple of posts on that, myself I have not see them set up but am also interested.

Don't buy an on board welder. Put an extra battery in your rig and cary an extra pair of jumper cables and a few 7018 rods. I have used this trick to get me off the trail 3 times now with pefect results. (two pair of aviator sun glasses in series works wonders for a welding helmet) Also, cary ratchet straps with you as many of the things that brake can be held together with a ratchet strap assuming youre not beating the shiz out of it.

I'm going to buy a blue tongue IV air compressor - most rate it as the best compressor around (reliable). Not sure about the on-board welding requirements but it is a solid unit.

~PHIL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom