On board CO2: a killer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
been wondering about something:
those of you having CO2 on board, aren't you concerned that if there is any leak or your valve isn't quite closed right, the cab will fill up and you're gonna be pushing daisies...?
seems like this could be pretty dangerous to me...

you can get killed walking your doggie. If it bothers you, don't buy one.
I was concerned when I first got mine but it's very simple and as long as it's not neglected there is no reason it is unsafe

Better stay away from Coke to it's loaded with CO2 (Carbon Dioxide).

I believe you are thinking of CO (Carbon Monoxide) which will kill you.

Not CO from exhaust, he's talking about CO2 from an onboard air set up. I'm not to worried about it leaking, there's enough flow throw the cab for it to dissipate if it were a small leak. You'd hear a bigger leak.

I'd be more worried about the valve getting whacked off and having a missile in the back.

Cory, I agree but I think most have a tall handle that acts as a guard against things hitting the valve to knock it off.

Here is a Q&A for CO2
http://offroadair.net/qanda.html

actually, I hate to say it but this topic has been discussed in depth.
"search"

Eric,

Get in on my group buy and I'll deliver to you at SnT and for that matter anyone else that's going to be at SnT that purchases.

I was initially concerned about this when I got my setup. But discovered through research that if the co2 should release all I have to do is open the window and wait till it airs out. Plus there is a safety seal at the regulator that prevents any accident.

I had my Power Tank blow the safety valve 5 years ago, my dog was in the backseat at the time, I was in my office, I came out.........noticed the backseat was wet with pee.......finaly figured it out......the saftey valve blew(as its suppose to) and Beau pissed himself from the shock of the damn thing going off........windows were partialy down.....if up I don't know what might have happend.

I work in a fire extinguisher shop and we discharge these things indoors all the time usually without much ventilation all it does is make you short of breath for a little while I would think that if you had a big enough leak in your truck to notice it you would have the sense to get some fresh air before you lost consciousness.

Biff said:
Plus there is a safety seal at the regulator that prevents any accident.

As Landpimp mentioned, this "safety seal" is a single-use safety valve that WILL RELEASE all the contents of the tank when it blows. For it to blow, the internal pressures have to reach the point where the valve is designed to open.

I also had a tank blow the valve. In my case, it was a hot summer day, the tank was filled at the shop, I left the tank inside the truck (in the sun) while I went back to work. Left for lunch and parked in the garage at the house. When I came back in the garage to return to work the valve had blown and dumped all of the CO2 in the closed cab. I knew it immediately when I opened the driver door. There was a distinct "smell" (yes, I know CO2 is odorless) The "smell" dispensed rapidly. I went back to the cargo area and the Husky liner was still very cold. I'm guessing there was a thin layer of dry ice all over the cargo area.

If this were to happen while the vehicle was occupied, all you need to do is roll down a window or open a door. I don't think anyone would be aphixiated from the CO2 displacing all of the oxygen but it could happen.

Coincidentally, I had weighed the tank in the shop after it was filled. My tank had accidentally been over-filled by 70% (~17# vs 10#.) In retrospect, I should have drained off the excess but I was gloating over the "free" CO2.

-B-

yes, I suppose one would notice something (like feeling sleepy and out of breath?) if the leak is small and hear it if it is big...

I don't think the 80 cab in particular has a lot of flow-through btw, the air coming in with the fan is at much lower speed when it's all buttoned up than when a window is open...

I can't think of it posing a serious danger. I don't believe CO2 will cause you any physical problems, possibly just displace O2. I have a feeling if you feel like you are suffocating you will open a window or stop and get out of the vehicle during the several minutes it would take to incapacitate you, (assuming you had a completely sealed cabin with no outside air from the HVAC). A high concentration of CO2 won't make you sleepy, as much as just air (O2) hungry.

You are getting confused with CO which can have cumulative effects as well as acute suffocation, by binding with the hemoglobin (oxygen transport "system") in red blood cells which permanently displaces the oxygen, even after going to fresh air, the hemoglobin is full of CO and will not release it, which does not allow any O2 to be transported to the body systems, this can be deadly at certain levels. CO2 does not bind with the hemoglobin at all, and any chance you have to breathe a little O2 will let your blood transport the O2 to your body systems. In other words as soon as you breathe fresh air, you will be fine.

no, I'm talking about the CO2 filling up the cab and displacing air (O2), not CO...

Well, in that case, as we have been concluded, not likely to have any serious problems. You will only have a problem if you are somebody who goes underwater holding their breath and never feels the need to take another breath, of course if you are afflicted with this condition, you are probably already dead from drowning :D

well if the cruiser has PW's and/or an animal or little kid.....that is prolly not an option. But if after it happened to me, I did not stop carring the tank........as when Beau was in the cruiser a window was always down a good bit.

Beowulf said:
If this were to happen while the vehicle was occupied, all you need to do is roll down a window or open a door. I don't think anyone would be aphixiated from the CO2 displacing all of the oxygen but it could happen.

C

-B-

Landpimp said:
well if the cruiser has PW's and/or an animal or little kid.....that is prolly not an option. But if after it happened to me, I did not stop carring the tank........as when Beau was in the cruiser a window was always down a good bit.

that is a good point, though.
If your windows had been up as in Beo's case, Beau was gone... good for you that you left one down (as all responsible dog owners should do...!

FirstToy said:
Cory, I agree but I think most have a tall handle that acts as a guard against things hitting the valve to knock it off.

Here is a Q&A for CO2
http://offroadair.net/qanda.html

actually, I hate to say it but this topic has been discussed in depth.
"search"

Oh I know it's been done to death. I have a superduty handle/guard on my tank. I was just saying that if there was something to worry about, that would be at the top of my list, not leaks.

agreed Cory. Actually I was telling the Moderator who started this thread... who should know better... ;)

Fill it with NO2...and if it leaks you can just laugh it off :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom