On Board Battery Charger / Maintainer ( NOCO ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
Hello there ..

I have a noco GEN 2 attached to my 2 batteries ( parallel ) on Tencha .. there days I'm not using her plain and simple and I take her out for a spin every weekend or so.

I have the NOCO permanently attached to the interstate MTP 24 batteries and are lasting about 2 years .. with virtually no use.

It's this all I can expect ?

Would be better with a AGM batteries or with a Deep Cycle batteries .. ?

GEN2_main_540x540.jpg

I don't know about this particular device but if you are saying that the batteries were trickle-charged / maintained full-time and lasted only 2 years, I would think that this is abnormally short. And would also think that good trickle-charging should be less damaging than heavy use in principle, so even more surprising then.
I have had "regular" batteries last way longer than that with very minimal maintenance.
But all my more recent batteries have been dual use (starting/deep cycle) marine type batteries, which with normal maintenance (a bit of trickle-charging periodically when not in use for a long time) all lasted well over 5 years. Been very happy with the latter.

Are yours batteries that need water top up?

you don't want a deep cycle battery as the primary start battery. Where an AGM battery is any better than the average traditional lead acid battery (I don't know).
The quality of the battery and the CCA rating is always important

What I do know is that current "normal" car batteries are not that great....both in quality and duration of operation. A trickle charger is not going to really extend the life of the battery, it may extend its charged state. If you don't drive something or operate something infrequently...you can expect to be buying batteries more often.

NOCO it's indeed a trickle charging concept .. it's supposed to be " smart " and know how to provide the kind of charge the batteries need ..

Clearly there is a fault here .. or in the NOCO or in the batteries ..

I have the same NOCO charger mounted at the front of the inner fender for a while now... I don't fully drive my 60 as much and while it sits... It's plugged in... I run two X2 AGM G27 &G31.....
No issues going on 5 years now...
Batteries are always topped off and stay healthy

With that said on other vehicles I run regular lead acid batteries and have had one battery on each vehicle fail on me once... I just recently started using a NOCO Genius 10 on them as we not driving as much...
I think any battery would benefit (extend its life) from having a charger when not in use....

Clearly there is a fault here .. or in the NOCO or in the batteries ..
I say try a different brand of batteries...

EDIT: Check those ring terminals at the batteries..
I just remember having to replace all of them, as I noticed one of them having the wire split loose from plastic housing...

Last edited:
I say try a different brand of batteries...

EDIT: Check those ring terminals at the batteries..
I just remember having to replace all of them, as I noticed one of them having the wire split loose from plastic housing...

I'll check that ...!

I was about to try Oddisey AGM .. not sure if they worth the $$$ for my non use application ( Tencha )

easy to see if the charger/connections work fine by sticking a voltmeter on the battery terminals away from the connectors.

Yeah.... wiggle that wire when you check it with your MVM

never thought AGMs were that compelling a purchase, really. Well, unless you plan on spending some time with the wheels up, of course...

FWIW, I have consistently been getting 10-years service out of my Odyssey batteries in the spressoWAGON. YMMV but they work for me. And gave up on acid spills/venting/fumes many years ago and don't miss them a bit...

Both Odyssey's in UZJ100 get plugged in to a Powermania Turbo 2 Bank charger when it sits which is a majority of the time these days; works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom