1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Board Air

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Gauge, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Gauge

Gauge

Been meaning to post these pictures for a LONG time. Finished my ARB install and decided to install a Stainless Steel tank between the frame rails for On Board Air. There is still plenty of room for a winch. Tank is filled by a suspension compressor from a mid 1980's Cadillac which I mounted under the hood near the washer bottle.

The front license plate is mounted on a hinge so it can flip up revealing a pressure gauge and an air chuck. I also tapped and threaded an air inlet right by the air chuck so I can fill the tank like I would a tire from an air compressor at any gas station. That way I don't have to tax my own air pump.

Anyway, just wanted to share the idea if anyone is interested. It's been mounted there for about 5 months with no problems thus far.
    125-2533_IMG.JPG 125-2583_IMG.JPG 125-2584_IMG.JPG

2. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

I like that flip-up license plate! Just don't rear-end anyone. Where is your tank from?

3. Boston Mangler

Boston Mangler

4. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Nice.
    No plans for a winch any time soon ;)

Could always move the tank though...and the connectors. Details on the compressor please -- electric? On/off switch somewhere?

5. Gauge

Gauge

Doug, I have PLENTY of room for a winch. It doesn't look so from the picture, but there is about 10 to 12 inches between the front of the bumper and the tank. I realized after I pulled the old bumper off that I could have done this set up with an OEM Toyota bumper. It sits back really far. So, when it comes time to install my winch, I have no plans on relocating the tank.

The tank is a stainless steel fire extinguisher. I removed the nozzle and tapped and threaded it to serve my purposes. Surprisingly, the tank fit perfectly between the frame rails with about only 1/2" of space on each end.

Pump is electric and taken from the suspension system of an 1980's Cadillac. I wired it with a relay to a switch in the cabin on the far left of the steering wheel. I believe all 80's have blanks where you can add aftermarket switches. I installed 2 switches. One for the lights (mounted on the ARB) and the other is for the compressor.

6. CreeperSleeper

CreeperSleeper SILVER Star

Sweet set-up! How does it do running air-tools (thinking impact)?

7. ginericLC

ginericLC Wagon Wheeler! SILVER Star

It doesn't produce enough air to run air tools effectively. I have the same pump on my 40. The York is the only way to go for running air tools.

8. CreeperSleeper

CreeperSleeper SILVER Star

Good to know. I still really like it! :cheers:

9. mabrodis

mabrodis

Can you take some pictures of your compressor? Is it similar size (and output) to an ARB compressor (i.e. it'll get you there, but not alot of output)?

Slick setup, I really like the hinged license plate, curious where did you get the SS tank, you said a old fire extinguiser, so from like a fire dept or something? Cool setup!

10. Gauge

Gauge

I know nothing about the ARB compressor, so I can't really compare, but I would summarize it as you described - it will get you there, but it will take awhile. I think I paid $10 at a U-Pull it parts place. SS Fire Extinguishers are easy to find. Bought mine at a flea market for $5.

11. LandyLover

LandyLover

Nice Job. I have a firestone compressor with 3 gal air tank mounted on the outside of my driver frame rail. Since Ive got a pressure switch that cuts off the comp at 125 psi, I have more than enough pressure and volume to run a good impact gun (Ingersoll Rand) to take off 6 lugs in one go. You can run most automotive hand tools for a (very) limited amount of time. It looks like you've got enough volume but what kind of air pressure does your compressor produce?

12. reffug

reffug

Very innovative.

Slick set up and nice out of the box thinking.

13. OZCAL

OZCAL

14. george_tlc

george_tlc SILVER Star

15. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Gauge -
    Slick set up.

George-

Thanks for the bookmark.

16. Aussie cruiser

Aussie cruiser

Hi Gauge
    Just wondering how have you got the tank mounted.
    I have one behind the bull bar but it is mounted to it. I would like to move it back so any pics of the mounts. Love the flip up plate mine is a pane I have to reach under the car to plug in air hose. Might steal your idea.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  17. Aussie

Aussie

That is a sweet set up m8, fairdinkum if your close by I'll pay you to set me up like that!!
    :cool:

18. george_tlc

george_tlc SILVER Star

Well, not sure how gauge mounted his, but I mounted mine to a piece of 2" right angle. The right angle (with the ends cut off - so the last bit is just 'plate' is bolted to existing captured nuts in the frame rails. So, by removing 2 bolts I can drop the tank/bracket out without disturbing the rest of the system. You can see the whole write up on the link I provided a few posts up.

Here's a pic of the tank mounted to the bracket under the winch

[​IMG]

and my airfitting

[​IMG]

george.

19. Gauge

Gauge

Regarding mounting the tank........

Once you pull the bumper off, you will see that there are 4 bolts (maybe 2, I forget now) on each side holding something else to the bumper. I forget what was attached to it, but you can't miss it since it is right on top of the frame rails. I backed one of those bolts out on each side and slipped a 1.5" by 1.5" piece of angle iron under the bolt then tightened it down. Then I cut and attached a LONG threaded bolt (I think it was 32" long) between the 2 pieces of angle iron and tightened it with 2 nuts on each side, (using double nuts prevent them from untightening with vibration). The long bolt I used was the type that contractors use to hang heaters and air conditioners from the ceilings of buildings. You can buy these at Home Depot very cheaply and cut them to any length you want.

I fastened the tank to this bolt with 3 stainless steel clamps - one on each end and one in the middle (actually 6 clamps - 2 joined together to give me the length I needed) which wrap around the bolt and the tank. I also inseretd a piece of rubber to act as a cushion and absorb vibration. The clamps I used are the type you use to hold the exhaust pipe on a clothes dryer. They were not long enough so I joined 2 together to make them long enough to wrap around the tank and the bolt. Joining the clamps is very easy. In fact there is no limit to the number of clamps you can join togeher to make them as long as you want.

It was not hard to make this. Most of this was fabricated from scrap. Even things like the pressure gauge were purchased at the U Pull it place for a few dollars. It cost me less than $50 to put this whole thing together.

Let me know if you have questions.

20. Aussie cruiser

Aussie cruiser

Thanks for that I would like to move mine back as it is attached to the bullbar.