On board air tank locations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
I'll be taking my BJ60 to Africa later this spring. The alternative is a new 'Cruiser (nice but out of my price range) or a rolling junk pile. In order to be mobile in Africa it would be nice to have an "on-board air" setup. Gas stations out here in "up country" do not have electrical power. That's right!! Hand cranked gas pumps or gas pumps that should have been relegated to the museums years ago. No power means no complementary air, if there is air at all.

To get on board air I already have arranged an ARB compressor that is rated to inflate the tires in something a little less than a lifetime like the current cigarette lighter pump I currently have. I'd like to also have an air tank located somewhere so the load on the compressor won't be continuous, at least not right away.

If you've installed an air tank somewhere, share the location and what the pluses and minuses are of your selected location. I'm aware that an air tank mounted under the truck could cause issues with border crossings. I've already had that "pleasure" with my long range tank.

I converted my stock AC compressor to OBA, It works great for filling tires, only 20 seconds or so to bring the tire from 12psi to 30psi. I haven't mounted my tank yet, but I am going to mount it on the frame by near where the stock spare was kept. I plan on keeping the spare in the rear cargo area, or on the swingout of the rear bumper.

If you've got the PTO front bumper, why not just plop it down on top of the bumper somewhere?

Out here in Africa when it's always hot means the A/C compressor will remain an A/C compressor. Converting the A/C compressor for on board air is not an option and I have an ARB compressor already anyways for this reason.

I plan to swap the PTO winch setup for a Warn electric winch. There are no tow trucks out here so you need to be self reliant. The PTO is great for pulling things in the yard or on the farm but not so good for righting your vehicle when it's upside down. If you need a PTO setup which is 100% complete and ready to bolt on PM me.

I'm aware that an air tank mounted under the truck could cause issues with border crossings. I've already had that "pleasure" with my long range tank.

Do tell more... if you havent already ?
Im also looking at putting an air tank and looking as to "where".

Size Of tank & how much pressure your thinking of storing would be good to know.
All pressure vessels will be cylindrical and round.

I can't really see the need to store air if were not underwater , The ability to have a good quality/ reliable hard wired mounted air compressor , that can run longer than just topping up tires is more in my thinking.
The extra weight carried for a tank just for air , I don't see. Electric 12 volt , with deep cycle AGM / Gell type battery's and a decent solar setup is more what I would be thinking , As what Im building.

Mr cruiser_guy, Got a pre-tested 3B cooler Pulley ? you would like to see put to use ?

VT

cruiser guy,

Check this link out as I just wrote up an air systems article for our website

The Wagon Way

This should just about sum up what you are looking for in an air system.

Tony

Tony , I have to ask ..

Why so much of an air system ??
Not that adding air is slow from the compressor itself, but even the storage tank needs pumping up from this compressor (after it's depleted ).

If your trying to reset a Bead , Ether and thrown match works , scary as !!! .

Are you offering an AAA or mobile tire repair ? Kidding Sir. :clap:

VT

Ps good write up.

On my 40, I used the ARB compressor for filling my tires after a trail ride. I found it barely up to the task. Now I have a York and it is awesome. I have seen others in my group with various electric units, some quite pricey, and none can compare with the York. I highly recommend an engine driven compressor if you are serious about on board air. With a little fab work, you will have a relatively inexpensive and reliable system that electric compressors can touch.

As for location of tanks, that I can't recommend since I haven't tackled that project on my 60 yet. However, I can give some ideas as to sources of tanks. Big rig wrecking yards have air tanks in all kinds of sizes since the trucks use air brakes. And another source for tanks are fire extinguishers. These tend to be smaller in diameter and so are often much easier to find a location for. You can most likely get these for free (or close to free) since fire extinguishers need to be replaced after so many years. My local extinguisher company has loads of old tanks in a variety of sizes.

Last edited:
Do tell more... if you havent already ?

Pics here. It was a long ordeal for NOTHING (other than pissing me off)!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/trails-eve...rst-central-american-country.html#post5012957

On my 40, I used the ARB compressor for filling my tires after a trail ride. I found it barely up to the task. Now I have a York and it is awesome. I have seen others in my group with various electric units, some quite pricey, and none can compare with the York. I highly recommend an engine driven compressor if you are serious about on board air. With a little fab work, you will have a relatively inexpensive and reliable system that electric compressors can touch.

It may well be that an engine driven compressor is faster and all that but there isn't much room left under the hood with the other stuff already there, none of which I'm prepared to loose. One thing with Africa that is always available and that's "time". A few minutes to inflate the tires wouldn't be the end for me.

cruiser guy,

Check this link out as I just wrote up an air systems article for our website

The Wagon Way

This should just about sum up what you are looking for in an air system.

Tony

Tony, after reading your article maybe an air tank is a waste of time and a potential hassle. I'll see how things go with just the compressor first. If I remember right I was looking for a 100% duty cycle anyways.

Last edited:
cruiser guy,
Just read the What's your worst Central American country?

Wow , drilling holes !! So are you going to install air for impact guns and air ratchets ? just to reassemble the truck ? Kidding ;)

So if time is abundant in Africa, and for my Build , I won't be doing a york , space and the amount of being used , I can't see . If i go like the gents who deflate there tires to rock crawl ? , I'll be sleeping alone due to wife got out at the deflating point.

Im going with a 12 Volt setup , Mine can run 20 mins to pump up my stock BJ60 tire from 0 psi to 60 psi.(Mistake) After that ,the heads are hot , but still the internal overload hasn't tripped. Mine is hard wired takes a 30 amp breaker , has 2 heads on either side of the electric motor. I got it from a good friend in Sweden . this must be mounted since it has an oil checking plug on both side's of compressor .
Right now it's bolted into my work vehicle hidden down in a pocket.

I can't remember the name embossed on it , a mirror and light can't see it , the pictures sucked , So since i have seen Danes and Nords posting here , Im sure they might know the name of the Manufacture. Im going off a old memory of being told that DAF or some Volvos had a smaller version used in the 70's ,since there emergency tyre was stored in a deflated state. I'm hope that some of the Euro /Scandinavia gents can remember the company that supplied them .

Any how , this unit is perfect . Heavy , all metal. I have been thinking of adding a small tank with one hose to it , Under the fender , above the inner liner.
That would be if i wanted to have just a quick blow gun to blow something small.

Still in the works here .

VT

I left it without checking it , and it crept up to 60 psi , was doing a few things too many.

Last edited:
It's not that the tank is a hassle, it just depends on what you intend to use it for. I have the one gallon tank so that as I cycle my air lockers, the front is turned on and off constantly, the compressor doesn't have to cycle on and off. It holds enough pressure and air to run my lockers for about half the day. And it's good for air to blow something out, no tank and this is not an option.

If the compressor is only used to air tires you may find the tank is not needed.

And yes you want a 100% duty cycle compressor if you are going to use a 12V compressor. Don't even think about a short duty cycle compressor.

Tony

So if time is abundant in Africa, and for my Build , I won't be doing a york , space and the amount of being used , I can't see . If i go like the gents who deflate there tires to rock crawl ? , I'll be sleeping alone due to wife got out at the deflating point.

Im going with a 12 Volt setup , Mine can run 20 mins to pump up my stock BJ60 tire from 0 psi to 60 psi.

Not too much rock crawling where I am just giant mud holes. Air compressors and even tire repair places are not all over the place as they were in Central America. The compressor is more to fix a single tire than air up 4 from 5-8 psi to 35 or so. I try not to put 60 psi in my tires as I doubt they'd handle that very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom