On board air for FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Since there's ample room in the engine bay, my truck is screaming for an air compressor. I got a York and a Sanden for this, although I prefer the York for cleaner, drier and cooler air. If someone has already done this please PM some info, pics, etc. I hate to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Thanks.
Ali
'96 FZJ

ps the search didn't yield anything interesting.

search Aus for ENDLESS AIR as they do an sd 508 for compressed air, and make brackets to suit the 1fz engine, may be a pic on the site to show how they do it.

Good idea, thanks.

Ali

Ali,
We have a little different culture on this site and we encourage "on-list" replies for projects like this. Since it's a web site, replies don't clog people's inbox and we can all learn something from the posts if we are interested.

I heard that Lance Williams did a York install using pieces of the TRD supercharger. He doesn't have the SC on his engine but used the SC belt and pulleys or something. I for one, would be interested in whatever you come up with including what you find on the Endless Air link that Dazza pointed you to.

-B-

Last edited:
George has a write-up on his site of an electically driven Thomas air compressor he installed a while back:
http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/compressor.html

If you haven't already, I'd add his site to my favorites. There are a lot of interesting write-ups on some common modifications that are done to 80 series, and some not-so-common.

If you beefed up your electrical for winching...just get an electric one.

The big air, etc (see www.sleeoffroad.com) all seem to be plenty and can be mounted anywhere you care to run power to.

what about the Oasis trailhead compressor, ? elec and same output as a york we are told?

I'm interested too. I am about to install a York in my T100. A guy on the Ourdoor Wire board fab'd the brakets/idler pulley arm for his and replicated it for me and another guy. Cost about $200. If someone is a good fab'er over here I'd be interested in buying a bracket set up for my 80. 8)

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=5229;start=msg40876#msg40876 date=1063474143]
I heard that Lance Williams did a York install using pieces of the TRD supercharger. [/quote]

Yeah - he and Scott Simmons have the same setup (starting to think they
aktion082.gif
at the same time too. :flipoff2:

They got the pulley's and stuff from Christo - TRD blower stuff. SHouldn't have to use the TRD stuff though.

I'll stick with the CO2 with a small pressor as back up.

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=2;threadid=5229;start=msg40937#msg40937 date=1063487957]
what about the Oasis trailhead compressor, ? elec and same output as a york we are told?
[/quote]

Considering it uses a York 210, I don't see why it wouldnt perform as well.

IMO, people are too stuck on York's. They are not the only game in town as far as engine driven compressors go. I've used a sanden compressor for the past 2 years on my rockcrawler. Fills the 38" SX's in no time plus acted as my home compressor for air tools on many an occasion.

I installed a Sanden in my RRC but judging by the room in the FJ, an York should be a really nice bonus. I know I can simply install an electric compressor, heck I have a Quickair 2 sitting on my shelf. However, have you tried inflating four 33" or larger at the end of the day? Apart from being slow, you're simply shortening the life of the air comp by heating that sucka up for about 20 minutes. And forget about using air tools with an electric, except maybe a rattle gun. Endless air and Kilby enterprises had nothing for FJ80s. I was looking at the engine bay today and was trying to figure out how would I run the belt off of the current a/c compressor. Maybe an idler pulley might be the ticket here.

In any case, those of you who have sliders, you can simply tap a 1/8" NPT hole in them and connect them together using push in fittings and 1/4" air brake hose to increase your air capacity. Assuming of course your sliders are capped off, this is a very nice vessel indeed. Don't worry about high pressures and the danger of hitting rocks with a slider full of air...nothing happens. It's just air around 100 psi or less. At least using the sliders with a Quickair 2 or a Thomas will give you a little more capacity for running impacts and some minor inflation needs.

Sorry about the long winded(ness) !!

Endless air and Kilby enterprises had nothing for FJ80s.

That pic sure looks like an endless air on a 80 cruiser from the pic......

air_03.jpg

[Endless air had 1fz and 1hz brackets on the web page to suit the endless air.

This is what we got fab'd for the T100. I'd love to do something similar for the 80. I asked the guy that made this unit if he could design and fab one for the 80 but he said he did not have an 80 readily available so he could not.

On this one he came off the alt. buy getting a twin channel pulley and having it machined to fit the stock alt. spindle. He also added a tensioner pulley on the bracket. I like where it sets in the truck and would like the same for one in an 80. It is easy to get too and the ports are right on top.

I wonder if Christo can comment on the extreme air he sells?

It is electric and seems to claim nice stats...

Well, looks like I spoke too quickly on the endless air. Do you have the link to that page with the endless air compressor? I don't know where I got this but here's some info on the bracket for the FJ80 with air condition - http://www.offroad.au.com/resources/ea5a.jpg. For $275, I think I'm able to make up the necessary brackets. From Shed guy's pic, it looks like the top bracket is an easy one. I wonder where the bottom bracket end up being.

Ali,
Those prices are in Australian dollars but you'll have high shipping costs to offset the difference.
-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=5229;start=msg40876#msg40876 date=1063474143]

I heard that Lance Williams did a York install using pieces of the TRD supercharger. He doesn't have the SC on his engine but used the SC belt and pulleys or something. I for one, would be interested in whatever you come up with including what you find on the Endless Air link that Dazza pointed you to.

-B-

[/quote]

Actually Lance and Scott used a sanden a/c...I got a stainless steel tank made up for lance's bobbed fj55 with 80 suspension and was looking over the 80 to see about oba. I was thinking about using a york as well, but after talking about it, it sure looks smooth with a sanden compressor, they are so much smaller. You need to buy the serpentine belt upgrade from the dealer for under $200 to convert over, but that makes it a lot easier. Although I ended up getting a complete co2 system for under $100 and am thinking about spending some more time getting the 55 ready instead of the 80.

too many cruisers, too little time and not enough :beer:

bk
harrisonburg, va

bk,

I'd like to check out a 80 equipped with oba. I sent Scott an email about more info. If you have any pics of the install, can you send them to me?

Thanks.
A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom