On board air for FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=bkfj40 link=board=2;threadid=5229;start=msg42571#msg42571 date=1063905124]
too many cruisers, too little time and not enough :beer:[/quote]
LOL :flipoff2: ... and you're bidding on another 55 too. :flipoff2:

You work on the pork - just leave the 80 outside. I'll come down and take good care of it. :flipoff2:

BK - just be carefull over the next 24 w/ da storm. It may pick up your 80 and deliver it to NJ. :flipoff2:

ExtremeAire

Ok so this is an old thread so maybe by now somebody has tried the ExtremeAire compressor?

Like Dan says, it looks good on paper (and in the pic).

I'm also wondering about where to route the hose line too. I'd like to have an air fitting on either side because I can't lift the hood with the boat on.

I've acquired an York and need to get off my ass and fab up some brackets for it. Using the SC pulley is just too expensive at $200 IMHO. I need to scour the wrecking yards for a single v belt pulley that will go in front of the current pulleys. I've installed a Sanden compressor in my RR and this is what Endless air uses too. The main issue with using Sandens is the extreme head temp, which translates into very hot output air temp. I used a high press hydraulic hose for the output side to combat this to a degree. If I can only see a pic of a York in an 80....!

Later,
Ali

Alia
ckeckout Romans post on 80scool. He has oba on his diesel 80 in the UK

OBA is very bling and all, but what is the forum consensis on how much it gets used vs. the added $$, weight, fab time, engine bay room, etc?
I'm just a newb, but I'm looking at a CO2 for filling tires and the occasional air tool for lugs and whatnot. Where is the advantage of oba?
I know with the 40, most of the kinds of wheeling I'd do I can get to the trailhead for parts, tools and a trailer mounted compressor and leave most of that stuff back in the parking lot. The idea being, bringing all the weight with is going to cause breakage. There's really not a place I can go for expedition type wheeling.
I'm not being confrentational. I'm looking for advice from different kinds of more experienced wheelers. Show me the light. I need more things to plan on putting on the Cruiser.

Oh boy, I can smell a debate coming down!

:flipoff2:

Lal,

Isn't Roman the fella with a York and a ZF hydraulic pump?

Ali

Did you say CO2?

Looking into my crystal ball.... I see a white CO2 cylinder in your future, Gumby... :D

Call me!! :bounce:

Free shipping for ih8mudders :cheers:

CO2 is cool I'll admit, but only if you can get your bottle filled easily and cheaply. I can do neither, so I have ruled out CO2 for filling tires. I saw what Ali176 did on his Range Rover Classic with the Sanden and a inline oiler, then a oil seperator after the pump that drained into the oiler, so it recycled the oil, very slick setup IMO.

I was planning on running a v-belt off the waterpump pulleys, either putting in longer studs into the water pump and stacking another pulley on there with the correct offset, or simply welding another pulley to the two that are there, you'd obviously have to weld carefully but certainly doable, as an added bonus it would offset some of the force of the two belts pulling the waterpump to the driver's side, helping that bearing some maybe, not that it ever goes out but certainly wouldn't hurt...

So Ali, MOVE IT!! Get those brackets fabbed, powdercoated and send me a set. :)

I don't get it. Wouldn't be easier to use an electric compressor like the ExtremeAire or something similar instead of the hassles with pulleys and drive belts ect....

I too can't get tanks easily filled and don't really have room for them amoungst the tons of camping gear and kitchen sink. Fine for day trips that are focused on wheeling but for longer trips, tanks would be a hassle to pack.

Are the electrics just too slow or noisy?

I have a small electric piece of crap now but I wouldn't want to use it regularly for tire filling. Fine for filling a belly boat (sort of).

IMO most electric ones are to slow and basically junk. The good ones (Extreme Aire, etc) are IMO to expensive and draw ALOT of power, not great on your charging system. The new electric one that uses a York compressor and a Warn winch motor or something is in the neighborhood of $800 IIRC. It seems silly to have a electric motor working itself to death when the engine is just idling there and has tons of free power available, if you can get to it.

I know whatever one I get I'll be airing up alot of tires, probably me and atleast 4-5 other vehicles at any trail, so I want something that can just run and run...

The advantage of a engine driven OBA is that it doesn't take any room, no bottle in the back, no compressor to pull out of a box, etc.

Just my $0.00 worth...

mabrodis said:
IMO most electric ones are to slow and basically junk. The good ones (Extreme Aire, etc) are IMO to expensive and draw ALOT of power, not great on your charging system. The new electric one that uses a York compressor and a Warn winch motor or something is in the neighborhood of $800 IIRC. It seems silly to have a electric motor working itself to death when the engine is just idling there and has tons of free power available, if you can get to it.

I know whatever one I get I'll be airing up alot of tires, probably me and atleast 4-5 other vehicles at any trail, so I want something that can just run and run...

The advantage of a engine driven OBA is that it doesn't take any room, no bottle in the back, no compressor to pull out of a box, etc.

Just my $0.00 worth...

No room in the back, but certainly room in th engine compartment. Myself, I have more room in the cargo area, but that's the kind of wheeling I do.

When I worked in fleet repair, our fleet truck had a big OBA set-up. We were constantly burning up trannies by fast idling the engine. The diesel could take it all day, but the auto trans would get way too hot. Would that be an issue for us? Granted the fleet truck would use massive CFM to run the 1" impact.
Again, I am really asking for info. I have only seen oba used once when Woody aired up.

Bump
Evening mud :flipoff2:

Its been 16 years to the day since the last post. Pretty funny I found this post the same day it was posted 16 years ago.

A lot of the players for on board air are still in the game. What say you Mud, York, ARB, extreme air?

I want to do it once and do it right what would you recommend and if you did it again which way would you go.

Thanks

These days I see a lot of York and ARB Twin here on MUD. Wits' End @NLXTACY has brackets for either, I think. I personally went with the 12V Puma compressor in back using @LandCruiserPhil mounting bracket. Have a friend that works next to a 4x4 shop and is friends with the owner so he does the CO2 thing, but for me that's never been a good option. Gamiviti is a Viair dealer as well, so there are really still a lot of options out there and I don't think there is one right solution to fit everybody. You have to figure out what your needs are. Want to run air tools? Look at a York. Don't have room to mount something in the engine bay? Look at a 12V option. Have multiple vehicles? Look at a portable option. Etc.

Puma for me.

Puma for me too. I have had mine for many years and with the speed and versatility of the compressor, along with the price is hard to beat. In fact, I was so much a fan I became a dealer nearly two years ago.

York beats them all!

oh and the turbo kicks as too 😜

0D471AFE-C999-4498-985E-6F472DDB5CB8.jpeg

I have a puma and also CO2. The CO2 just was too much a hassle and expensive to refill.
Puma works great, fast too.

Question @NLXTACY can you mount the entire Puma compressor and tank on your under truck bracket?
Run the air filter up inside the cab or something? Would the debris and moisture just tear up the Puma?
Socal, so the only real water would be from that once a year rain or washing it... lol
Sure would save valuable space inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom