On board air for FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@TurboDennis it looks like (may be optical illusion) that your mini York in the photo has the larger diameter clutch. If you end up using the kit from @NLXTACY , you my have to source a slightly longer belt. As others have said, you can mount the York in a few orientations. I recall seeing a capacity chart regarding cfm for the 2-3 most common York sizes, but I couldn't find it this morning. I think the take away was that air tools might not run optimally off of the smaller Yorks? I got my compressor used from a mud member in good shape, but it does have the larger clutch. Clutch prices seem to be $100 or more alone.

Most often the Yorks are found with 6" diameter clutch, but there is a 7" clutch available also. When looking for a compressor (With Clutch) be sure to note the 'offset', there are many different ones. I don't have the Wits End mount to look at...but it's probably built around the clutch with the 1/2" offset. There are also single and double groove V-belt pulleys.

As for Displacement...it is as follows:

York 210: 10.3 cu. in.
York 209: 8.69 cu. in.
York 206: 6.10 cu. in.

The bore for all of the models is the same (1.875"). The stroke is what determines the total displacement.

All York compressors are direction neutral (can be run CW or CCW). They can also be mounted up to 90° off of vertical if need be, but position the suction port up.

Last edited:
I was looking at what I have in my shop today and cleaning them up, they've been sitting for awhile.

I've run a 210 on my Early Model Bronco Half Cab for many years (with 2.5 gal tank). It will run an impact absolutely no problem, other air tools it just depends. Air grinders use a LOT of air....but if you utilize a tank AND a hand throttle they can put out a BUNCH of air. Well worth the trouble and expense if you need a lot of air or just want the Big Dog of OBA's.

You'll probably want to stick with the medium duty (aluminum cased) Yorks, simply to keep the weight down. I'm sure the Wits End mount is plenty strong, but remember you are hanging a substantial amount of weight (cantilevered) off of your engine so always best to keep it at a minimum to avoid damaging threads . The HD models and all Tecumseh's are Cast Iron and will push 35 lbs.

3 Yorks.jpg
3 Yorks1.jpg
3 Yorks2.jpg
3 Yorks3.jpg

I was considering these, but figuring out the mounting would be something to figure out. Extreme Outback ExtremeFlow Belt Drive Compressor (V-Belt) with the compressor this much the mount would have to be very cheap to make this competitive i think.

someone already figured out the york setup so that will likely save time and money. Yorks around here are not expensive from salvage yards and the rebuild kits don't seem to be much either.

one has to balance how much they will figure things out when somethings are already figured out.

Stay 6" clutch with double pulley. You'll want the double pulley for the offset to get the belt to align.
Thanks Joey

I've been looking around trying to find pics of @NLXTACY Manifold and Mount kit fit in the same engine bay as a Slee washer bottle relocate. Do they both fit? Also, I've got a used 210 with a GM belt style clutch. Any tips on where I should be looking to find a replacement V-belt clutch? Thanks for the help folks! I'm about to place the order for most of Joey's components and want to get ahead on any issues I'm going to run into.

I've been looking around trying to find pics of @NLXTACY Manifold and Mount kit fit in the same engine bay as a Slee washer bottle relocate. Do they both fit? Also, I've got a used 210 with a GM belt style clutch. Any tips on where I should be looking to find a replacement V-belt clutch? Thanks for the help folks! I'm about to place the order for most of Joey's components and want to get ahead on any issues I'm going to run into.

Be sure any clutch you purchase has the correct offset (distance from face of compressor to center line of pulley groove) or the belt won't line up.

After looking at some install pics of the the Slee washer relocate kit (Slee Washer Bottle Relocation kit - Real time help needed pls - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/slee-washer-bottle-relocation-kit-real-time-help-needed-pls.212022/post-3161442) and comparing them against the Wits' End manifold that's plumbed into my rig, I'm pretty sure there is no conflict. I bet @NLXTACY already knew this...

Here are some pics of the installed manifold, and a few notes:
  • The manifold is just that...the whole thing is one long pressure node that you can plumb in different ways to suit your preferred plumbing. On mine, the yellow "TANK" label is actually where the discharge line comes in from the coalescing filter that is mounted to the back side of the air filter housing.
  • The last pic shows how close the hood strut comes to the end of the manifold. That's why I have a 45º elbow immediately off of the manifold...if too much of the piping sticks out in that area, it will make for a nasty surprise when you close the hood.
Good Luck...you're gonna love it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Viair 480c and switched from 200 psi to 150 psi pressure switch to make it 100% duty. Made a plate so it mounts to the frame rail and bought a 3 gallon tank and re welded the brackets 180 degrees so I can drain the tank.

Still need to clean up the airlines and put some bulkhead fitting somewhere for the quick disconnects.

C0EA7E2F-2EE2-4A0D-87B7-D9FADCA5111E.jpeg

283E29B7-6F54-49C4-87FA-3657C2C45207.jpeg

@flintknapper Every time I see more in-depth York data I worry more about the one I have sitting in a box. Mine is a 210 and it has the 7" clutch. In your experience, are there different offsets possible for each size of clutch as well? As in, I buy a different 7" and it has the wrong offset?
For others reading this far, I wouldn't search out a different 7" clutch, The 7" is already a problem in that the belt in the kit from @NLXTACY will likely not fit.
@george.arnold If you're so inclined, there are a mess of clutches on ebay. Apparently finding the exact one you need might be problematic.

@flintknapper Every time I see more in-depth York data I worry more about the one I have sitting in a box. Mine is a 210 and it has the 7" clutch. In your experience, are there different offsets possible for each size of clutch as well? As in, I buy a different 7" and it has the wrong offset?
For others reading this far, I wouldn't search out a different 7" clutch, The 7" is already a problem in that the belt in the kit from @NLXTACY will likely not fit.
@george.arnold If you're so inclined, there are a mess of clutches on ebay. Apparently finding the exact one you need might be problematic.

Yes, there are many offsets available. IF you are using Joey's kit to mount a York....I believe you will want the clutch with a 1/2" offset, but DO check with him to see.

will do. Thanks.

Not to muddy the waters here too much, but I stumbled upon this article yesterday:
Is the Aluminum York casting they mention generally true? I thought Aluminum bodied ones were rare? At any rate, a quick check with a magnet will tell you I guess.

Yorks (unless the rare HD model) are aluminum body. Tecumseh are cast iron. I've got 3 sitting in my outbuilding right now. The cast iron HD unit is pretty heavy. These are all 210's

3 Yorks.jpg

3 Yorks1.jpg

3 Yorks2.jpg

3 Yorks3.jpg

Sweet. Thanks for the confirmation.

anyone have one of Joey's kits that you aren't going to use? He's currently out of stock on the pulleys and I'd like to add OBA to Julia's 80 if I can source a mount kit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom