On board air for FZJ80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These days I see a lot of York and ARB Twin here on MUD. Wits' End @NLXTACY has brackets for either, I think. I personally went with the 12V Puma compressor in back using @LandCruiserPhil mounting bracket. Have a friend that works next to a 4x4 shop and is friends with the owner so he does the CO2 thing, but for me that's never been a good option. Gamiviti is a Viair dealer as well, so there are really still a lot of options out there and I don't think there is one right solution to fit everybody. You have to figure out what your needs are. Want to run air tools? Look at a York. Don't have room to mount something in the engine bay? Look at a 12V option. Have multiple vehicles? Look at a portable option. Etc.
Awesome 👍🍻

Thanks for chiming in,
@FirstToy i don’t think so. The puma is pretty big.
Ahh..... I didn't know the turbo fit with the york. That short block is looking very tempting now

@NLXTACY I see the yoko kit on the wits end website but no compressor? I need to explore this onboard air option.

Last edited:
@BillyGoatMTB if you do some google-ing, there's a database floating around that has a vehicle/York compressor database if you're a "pull-a-part" type of guy. (old Volvos, Ford E series vans, some Jeeps, etc etc). They always look like a pain in the butt to pull to me.
Most auto parts places sell remanufactured ones. With a clutch they seem to run about $230 and up. There's also fleabay, and the occasional sample crops up in the mud classifieds.

@BillyGoatMTB if you do some google-ing, there's a database floating around that has a vehicle/York compressor database if you're a "pull-a-part" type of guy. (old Volvos, Ford E series vans, some Jeeps, etc etc). They always look like a pain in the butt to pull to me.
Most auto parts places sell remanufactured ones. With a clutch they seem to run about $230 and up. There's also fleabay, and the occasional sample crops up in the mud classifieds.

I have three of them sitting in my shop.

Yessir...I called around a bunch looking for used York 210's in my general area. Found several York variations, but all looked pretty thrashed and weren't particularly cheap, so I gave up on used and just went hunting online for a new unit.

Found a seller in Texas who had a decent price on Ebay, so went that route. I think I paid just shy of $200 back in February 2018. Seller was a pleasant fellow named Matt who I spoke with before purchasing - he was helpful and knew his schtuff. Assuming he's still around, he can be reached at 713.870.1184.

I've been running the York 210 with most of Joey's Wits' End OBA kit for the last 2 1/2 years. This setup gets a lot of use...I'm always done airing-up before my buddies are, and will end up helping others air-up to get the show back on the road quicker. Absolutely no regrets...it's a serious system that just kicks arse.

Used to run CO2...liked the portability, but was a hassle to pack and got expensive. The ARB twin is pretty nice - compact, and puts out a good bit of air. If the York was not an option for me, that's what I would have done.

Yessir...I called around a bunch looking for used York 210's in my general area. Found several York variations, but all looked pretty thrashed and weren't particularly cheap, so I gave up on used and just went hunting online for a new unit.

Found a seller in Texas who had a decent price on Ebay, so went that route. I think I paid just shy of $200 back in February 2018. Seller was a pleasant fellow named Matt who I spoke with before purchasing - he was helpful and knew his schtuff. Assuming he's still around, he can be reached at 713.870.1184.

I've been running the York 210 with most of Joey's Wits' End OBA kit for the last 2 1/2 years. This setup gets a lot of use...I'm always done airing-up before my buddies are, and will end up helping others air-up to get the show back on the road quicker. Absolutely no regrets...it's a serious system that just kicks arse.

Used to run CO2...liked the portability, but was a hassle to pack and got expensive. The ARB twin is pretty nice - compact, and puts out a good bit of air. If the York was not an option for me, that's what I would have done.
This is awesome info from all! I'm totally new to the york idea and didn't realize it was an awesome option with all the new air options out there.

Sounds like york still kicks total butt!

Sounds like for an 80 series the York is the way to go.

So if any of you had to do it all over again would you spring for brand new or find a good used 210?

You get an electrician here talking compressors, I'm sure here on mud there's lists for oil and maintenance and assessment of the 210?

I've run a York OBA system on my Early Model Bronco for nearly 20 yrs. Use it quite often around the ranch. Keep them oiled and they will last forever. If a person needs enough air (with air tank) to run an impact wrench or air their tires up really quick....it is THE way to go.

Once you go York, you never go back.
Hahahaha 😂 Yes! This is great, I recognize most of you responding as mud veterans from the years of posts I have read.

I am relieved to hear go york, do it once, do it right. I see Joey's components online.

Should I buy a new york 210 or used? I searched mud and didn't see a maintenance or eval of compressor thread.

Hahahaha 😂 Yes! This is great, I recognize most of you responding as mud veterans from the years of posts I have read.

I am relieved to hear go york, do it once, do it right. I see Joey's components online.

Should I buy a new york 210 or used? I searched mud and didn't see a maintenance or eval of compressor thread.
I found the cost delta to be about $100, and the used ones I found were sketchy. The ~$100 premium for a new unit (not refurbished) was absolutely worth it to me. However, you may strike gold and find a cheap used one in good shape...probably worth looking around.

Once you go York, you never go back.

It IS a good system (or can be). The use of York Compressors to make OBA (On Board Air) has literally been around for decades. Done right it can provide a LOT of air and doesn't tax your vehicles electrical system.

It's the 'Big Dog' of OBA's no question about that.

It takes a little doing (time and expense) to rig one up 'right' but it will last darn near forever.

A little info....for those not familiar with it:

New go for around $200 and there seems to be only Chinese made after the York company itself made an agreement for manufacturing. Honestly they have all been fine. Used are fine to but get the rebuild kit to reduce blow-by

I stole an old York 210 from @woytovich some uncounted years ago when he wasn't looking. He picked it from a salvage yard along with a bunch of other stuff.
I bought a rebuild kit, a new bearing for the pulley, and some extra rotolock gaskets for the I/O ports.
I had it mounted in my 91 FJ80 and moved to my 97 LX450. It has been rock solid for at least 12 years, and it gets used for air tools as well as airing up tires.
Depending on the amount of useage, I throw some motor oil in it every once in a while. It will likely outlast the vehicle.

I stole an old York 210 from @woytovich some uncounted years ago when he wasn't looking. He picked it from a salvage yard along with a bunch of other stuff.
I bought a rebuild kit, a new bearing for the pulley, and some extra rotolock gaskets for the I/O ports.
I had it mounted in my 91 FJ80 and moved to my 97 LX450. It has been rock solid for at least 12 years, and it gets used for air tools as well as airing up tires.
Depending on the amount of useage, I throw some motor oil in it every once in a while. It will likely outlast the vehicle.

There are also 'Tecumseh' compressors that have the same bolt mounting pattern, are just a smidgen larger externally, but have a cast iron case (thus heavier in weight), but are like Sherman Tanks. Usually found on HD trucks and 18 wheelers. I have a NOS one of those sitting in my shop. It actually has a sight glass to monitor the oil...but as you say, the oil doesn't need to be topped off very often.

I have a refurbished (never installed) York 210 without clutch and slightly used 210 with clutch also.

I'll post some pics when I get time so folks will know what to look for.

Im toying with the idea of installing OBA into an 80 with 1HD. This is much more problematic than FZJ80, because the alternator, the A/C compressor and the second battery box are located on the passenger side of the engine and there is a lot less room there as a result.
After doing some research, i discovered that there was a slightly more compact York 209, and even smaller - York 206.

Im thinking of going with 206 if it makes fitting it easier. I dont mind the lower output of 206 compared to 209/210. I would be buying the compressor new, so i dont care about the fact that 206 is far less common on scrap yards..

Does anyone know how much smaller the 206 actually is, compared to the 209? Bellow is a pic of 210 VS 209 "mini", but i could not find any external dimensions of a 206.

Also, are there any other, smaller air compressors that are internally oiled and can be belt driven? Perhaps a unit from a small shop air compressor or a small truck air brake compressor? I would love to use a compressor off a Hino truck, if possible, to keep everything Toyota..

York & Mini York.JPG

Last edited:
Im toying with the idea of installing OBA into an 80 with 1HD. This is much more problematic than FZJ80, because both the alternator, the A/C compressor and the second battery box are located on the passenger side of the engine and there is a lot less room there as a result.
After doing some research, i discovered that there was a slightly more compact York 209, and even smaller - York 206.

Im thinking of going with 206 if it makes fitting it easier. I dont mind the lower output of 206 compared to 209/210. I would be buying the compressor new, so i dont care about the fact that 206 is far less common on scrap yards..

Does anyone know how much smaller the 206 actually is, compared to the 209? Bellow is a pic of 210 VS 209 "mini", but i could not find any external dimensions of a 206.

Also, are there any other, smaller air compressors that are internally oiled and can be belt driven? Perhaps a unit from a small shop air compressor or a small truck air brake compressor? I would love to use a compressor off a Hino truck, is possible, to keep everything Toyota..

View attachment 2424910

The beauty of the YORK (or Tecumseh) type compressors is that they can be mounted in different positions (they don't have mount vertically). Also there are two different clutch sizes. The smaller displacement compressors can still be used with good results....BUT you'll want to increase engine speed (hand throttle when vehicle is at rest) to get the best output.

Went with the kit from Wits End for the York oba and couldn't be happier. Like Joey says, he did all the hard work, all you have to do is bolt it on. Got to use it on my first trail run last weekend and am really happy I went this route. Will be going to the air box for the suction air once the parts get shipped out from Wits End.

20200821_215432.jpg

20200823_144820.jpg

20200821_215443.jpg

A/C compressors like Sanden or even Denso (think OEM Toyota) can be pressed into compressed air service. They are much more compact, being wobble plate design. My Sanden was great on my 40 (see link in signature).

@TurboDennis it looks like (may be optical illusion) that your mini York in the photo has the larger diameter clutch. If you end up using the kit from @NLXTACY , you my have to source a slightly longer belt. As others have said, you can mount the York in a few orientations. I recall seeing a capacity chart regarding cfm for the 2-3 most common York sizes, but I couldn't find it this morning. I think the take away was that air tools might not run optimally off of the smaller Yorks? I got my compressor used from a mud member in good shape, but it does have the larger clutch. Clutch prices seem to be $100 or more alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom