On and off road tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone run 2 sets of tires- one for highway driving and one for off road? The '06 TLC I just bought has a brand new set of Michelins on it. My thought is to buy some Tundra wheels and put on some BFGs or Nittos for off roading. That way if I am doing a (relatively) high speed trip to say Reno or Sonoma I can use the Michelins and when I'n heading out to Moab or Cedar Mesa or Beef Basin, I can throw on the off road wheels/tires. I know the Michelins will look a little dorky with the Slee bumpers and 2 1/2" lift, but I have broad shoulders and can handle that if the highway tires/wheels will be that much better for a strictly interstate trip. What do the experts say?

I'm not an expert but I started down this path with an extra set of rims. Then I realized it wasn't worth the storage space. If you had two sets of tires, both sets would probably dry rot before either needed to be replaced.

I sold my Michellins and the spare rims and got some 33" Terra Grapplers. The the Grapplerrs or BFG ATs aren't so good at off road or so bad at on road that it's worth having two sets. It only really makes sense if you get a set of some MTRs or something that you want to preserve. But around here you'd still have to drive on the highway for 2 hrs to get to the trail where you'd drive 100 miles off road.

Maybe get a spare set of rims and put the BFGs on and sell your current rims and tires together to someone.

I used to do this on my 80. It gets old swapping, storing, etc two sets... unless you have some good shop space with the ability to swap tires yourself.

Overall, two sets do not make sense unless you have two sets of rims also.

Since buying the 100, it's just easier to stay with one tire set and I haven't looked back since then.

My circumstances are different from yours as I'm not situated in any city for long, but I would find it a big hassle to store 4 large heavy tires and then replace them every now and then. I would stick with your current tires:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom