Omix Ada 5.29 gears? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've never purchased Omix-ada ring & pinions, but I am familiar w/using some of their other parts. I have used them in old Jeep Dana 18 & 20 T/case's. They are sometimes the only source when it comes to finding certain gears & such, for these T/cases.

Omix Ada is huge. They acquired Precision Gear, Alloy USA under their affiliate company Ultra Axle.
They have thousands of products, mostly the kind of dress up stuff you'd find at a Pep-Boys or Auto Zone.
They also own Rugged Ridge ( I actually own one of their center consoles ) and Outland, a bumper/brushguard builder... I would assume the OMIX-ADA branded R&P set is of either Chinese or Indian origin otherwise they would use the Precision Gear brand which is more respected. Most of their
stuff is import. Whether or not even Precision Gear has been outsourced I can't say.

I've never purchased Omix-ada ring & pinions, but I am familiar w/using some of their other parts. I have used them in old Jeep Dana 18 & 20 T/case's. They are sometimes the only source when it comes to finding certain gears & such, for these T/cases.

how are they in those applications?

up to $109.

There are Chinese R+P 5.29 for $215 on ebay.

I figure these would be worth the risk for 1/2 price.

up to $109.

There are Chinese R+P 5.29 for $215 on ebay.

I figure these would be worth the risk for 1/2 price.

You can get quality Nitro Gearsets from Cruiser Outfitters for $233.50

For a trailered rig, I'd roll the dice on the cheap gears.
For something I have to drive to/from the trailhead, I'd get the Nitro gears.

You can get sierra gears from kurt for.the same price too. But if you go with the omix gears, be sure to do a writeup

You can get sierra gears from kurt for.the same price too. But if you go with the omix gears, be sure to do a writeup

Why do you hate the Nitro gears?

up to $109.
$95 with a little googling. ;)

So nobody has actually broken a set yet?

I don't mind ChiComm junk that is priced appropriately.
This is approaching appropriate pricing.... :meh:

Honestly - I'd order a set and see what the metal looks like . If you have access to a weld testing facility have them x-ray those gears - they can find if the metal is consistent and has good grain structure with a minimal charge . I'd bet they are like a lot of imported steel - chunks of whatever (my favorite being pieces or sometimes whole hardened ball bearings !) are laced within the batch making them run other than optimal .
My only real reserve here with cheapo gears is the impeding destruction of related parts - shafts/carrier/housing ect .....
Been there, done that far too often .
Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom