OME whole kit vs. just springs and shocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So...I've re-geared (4.11s), put on 33's and sliders, and will be getting a rear bumper tire carrier at the end of Sept...and am seriously contemplating the ARB front bumper. Which all means...I think I need to upgrade my suspension.

Is there anything wrong with just getting the OME Leafs? Or...is the kit so nicely designed I should just save up and replace the whole darn thing? I'm looking at what MAF has put together for the Med/Heavy kit.

I've currently got slightly extended shackles (+1.5" and +2.5" fr/Rr) and the current springs are fine, just wondering about the extra weight, etc...If I've got enough travel in my current shocks (less that 3k miles on them) could I do that and experience all the goodness of OME?

Thnks!

CardinalFJ60

just ride with it for a while and see if you like it. if it needs improvement or you just want a sweet suspension then upgrade to the ome. i had a buddy that worked at rocky road outfitters put a kit together with medium springs, u bolts, shackles, bushings, and doetsch tech shocks (about half the price). i put the whole thing on and just from observing i would at least get the springs and bushings. if you can get the nuts off of the ubolts and re-use them you probably can do that, but mine were hammered, you will most likely need new ones. i wrecked almost every one of the bushings trying to get the shackle pins out. that was a PITA. if you have poly bushings on your extended shackles and can get the pin out without damaging the bushing you can probably get away with not replacing those either. and in conclusion, i would shop around for pricing. they may be fairly close as ome is distributed through advanced adapters (i think). call kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com or the rocky road guys in utah, or anyone else that is closer to you. you can probably get some used springs somewhere on the board if you are patient, or just get some dakars. good luck.

saint60 said:
if you can get the nuts off of the ubolts and re-use them you probably can do that, but mine were hammered, you will most likely need new ones.

I've always been told that you should always replace ubolts. They take a lot of torque and probably stretch quite a bit when tightened. The last thing I think I'd want is for a ubolt to snap after hitting a pot hole going down the road.

yup - good points...

Thanks for the replies, here's what I'd keep on my existing setup....shackles, shocks (if long enough), extended swaybar links, steering dampener.

I'd plan to replace u-bolts(yes, definitely replace U-bolts), poly bushings, leafs...possible shocks.

then there's the remaining question, whose answer probably is in Marketing-speak...Are all the OME components engineered together for best performance? Like the shocks are "made" to best perform with the spring rate of the OMEs, etc...along with the anti-inversion shackles...

thanks again...

CardinalFJ60

I went through the same things. You shoud know first that I did buy the med/hvy kit and LOVE it. The flex is sick. And the handling on the trail is truely amazing compared to stock. Three guys and hunting gear for the weekend on old log trail and I am literally crawling over logs and rocks and in and out of creeks. With that bias, I would say that the flex is a function of the springs. And they are specially designed for the cruzah (you of course know that). The poly bushings are the best and OMEs fit OME springs nice and tight. SPring pins are greasable and the stock ones aren't. I grease em up before every outing. Is that too much? maybe but I tend to drive like a jackass and take the more "interesting" parts of the trail. Now for the rub... the shocks are special gas charged OME blah blah blah. I don't know why they are so good. They just are. They are way better than douche tech and you will notice a world of difference. Lastly, greasable shackles. I shaved 400$ off the OME kit by getting "brand X" greasable shackles. There are no design benefits to the OME. The ones I got were raw steel so I painted them with some rust preventative and installed the whole thing. I picked up about 3" all around. Take home... The shocks and the springs complement each other but also do different things on the road. I am no longer afraid to hold my coffee and drive over a washboard! :cheers:

Absolutely. That is definately a good reason to buy the OME as a whole kit. My reasoning for wanting to buy the springs seperate is because I don't have enough dough to buy the whole kit, or else I would. Due to your testimonial, I am going to buy some OME bushings. How expensive are the shocks though? I understand how good shocks can make or break the ride of a truck, but I'm not looking for a perfect rig. I think that I'll buy the OME springs and bushings with a u-bolt flip kit from MAF.

:beer:

I install a LOT of OME crap. Here are a few thoughts.

For stock + OME trucks going up to 35" tires with enough travel to do that, go OME shocks. Expensive but worth every penney. If you plan on OME springs with SOA or some crazy shackle deal :) consider other shocks.

You gotta get greasable pins and shackles. OME stuff is really good. The overall quality is the best out there and they will LAST. They are also crazy expensive compared to some of the aftm shackles and pins. If you want the best just go ahead and get the OME. If you have lots of other stuff to do to your truck, who dosent, and you are happy with really fxxxing good get another brand. MAF shackles and pins are very nice and a good value.

Only use OME bushings.

Only use OME steering stabilizers. A few vendors do sell the OME stab painted white under another name. You can save a few $$$ on that. I only fool with OME stabs cuz the price difference is a few $$$ and you have the OME guarentee.

YOU MUST USE NEW U BOLTS. All are about the same. Just get a good deal on them.

Energy suspension makes nice bushings for the ft sway bar. AutoZone etc.... around $20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom