OME vs ironMan4x4 suspension kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't worry, I have a 2nd YJ on 39s for true abuse. :hillbilly:
1626916784025.gif

Welcome to 100 series ownership. It looks like you have a good "bottom up" plan for restoration. I also have a 1999 model and started my refresh with foundational components like you have listed. I like to get the critical suspension steering components in order before building up.

When I bought my 99 model in January of 2020, I connected with a regionally (Ozark / Ouachita) famous LC expert and restorer and builder. We talked about the national forest trails where I go off-road. Since I have a Tacoma, I knew about OME, Bilstien, Ironman, and others for Toyota trucks.

After a few days of conversation and talking to people around the the state. I found that know a number of 80 series and 4Runner owners were moving from ICON to Dobinsons. These are people who are into serious off-roading with near unlimited budgets. Money does not matter.
My only apprehension was a perception was that Dobinsons may have been out of my price range. I turned out to be pleasantly surprised at the price.

II have learned a lot from many Facebook off-road clubs in the ArkLaTex area. After watching people the groups, I'm seeing Dobinsons become an emerging brand in the ArkLaTex region for a reason that I will share in pictures below. Information that I've learned from Facebook leads me to believe that shocks may become regional based on design characteristics. I can't expect a shock that is well loved in Utah and CO to meet some of the crazy requirements that we have in my area.

Note that I also needed to buy HD springs, torsion bars, upper control arms, diff drop, LCA reinforcements, and a list of other items. One mod leads to another.

My requirement was a 2" lift in the front and 3" rear. The lift calculation was based on other 100 series owners in the area and knowing the level of mud and water crossings that I encounter. The 100 series was purchased to be used for strictly for off-roading. It goes off-road usually once or twice a month. I usually takes 1 to 2 hours of driving curvy AR roads to get to my off-road destination. Trails are a combination of red-clay, mud, and small rocks that fly up and beat the daylights out of suspension components. Also note that I wanted extended travel front shocks. I like extended droop to keep the wheels on the ground when running through deep holes that you can't see because they are covered in mud.

Requirements:

1) Extended droop. I currently have 24 3/4 inch of full droop in the front.
2) Upper shock piston design (e.g. like ICON or FOX) with a protective boot for the shock shaft.
3) Be able to withstand hot conditions without fade.
4) Handle like a sports truck on winding switchback mountain roads at speeds over the recommended limit.

Here's a good write up from @crikeymike about IMS from another Toyota Truck forum.

I had a rough idea of the total vehicle weight after armor and modifications before I purchased the suspension. I estimated the 100 would weigh ~6,800 after modifications, gear, and passengers. I knew I would be close to the 6,860 GVWR at the end. The initial weight projection turned out to be right. If you do your homework and estimate your final build gross weight, buying springs for your final destination can turn out to be a good move.

Post Purchase Evaluation

So I ordered all of the parts, put everything together, and worked out great. I was somewhat shocked at how well it drives and handles on winding mountain roads as well as the trails. As far as driving preferences, all of my cars have modified/lowered suspensions with crisp handling characteristics. I don't like a land yacht ride. I think the 100 can take curves and handles woops and bumps with ease. Overall I'm very happy with on-road manners.

Off-road manners ride are also good. Note that I air down to 24 lbs for off-roading. I haven't see a need to go lower with my current mud tires.

How do the shocks perform off-road and can the shocks take the kind of abuse?

Let me switch computers to continue with some pictures.

Trail Abuse

This is a picture from last winter when I started off-roading. Today, much of the paint has been beaten off of the LCA. Little trail rocks beat the daylights out of my suspension components. I like the top mounted piston design with the protective boot for the shaft. After some real-world experience, I don't think I could live with a bottom mounted piston design in my environment.

View attachment 2737375

Protective covering on the shock bottom mount area.

View attachment 2737386

View attachment 2737425

I like extended droop in this situations.

View attachment 2737427

I initially learned about Dobinsons from Ozark Overland Outfitters. I feel I am lucky to have the experience and to get started off in the right direction.

Wow, I extremely appreciate your input.

Thank you 🤝👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom