OME Suspension setup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
been searching forums for details on OME suspension setups. Currently stock 96 FZJ80 180K miles. Adding 2.5 OME, ARB bumper on front, and future rear bumper swing out and roof rack when budget allows. I'm not going to crazy on weight, want to keep it just as a weekend adventure rig with 2-3 times a year long term overland trips.

Experience input appreciated on what springs I should setup with. Heavy duty, medium duty?

Also while were at the questions. gonna run 33' on 17' method wheels right now. give your input on if a different wheel set is worth it. excited to start build rig, I'll get photos up soon. thanks for any positive input/experience you can share.

I have the medium and with a full 4x4 labs swing out and packed for a week long Moab trip it was sagging pretty good. It actually rode pretty nice though like that lol
If you plan on doing a lot of packed/loaded trips the next spring up could be better

If not they work great

Go dual rate coils...best pf both worlds loaded or unloaded.
A primary rate of 260 to 280 is suggested.
Ive been happy with my ToughDog 220/280 coils. Great ride light or heavy.

Last edited:
If you're only running 33's, skip the tire carrier and run the spare in the stock location. It will save a good amount of weight and make life easier getting in and out of the back. I would also stick to 16" wheels if running 33's as it will give you more sidewall to improve your ride quality off road and reduce risk of damaging your wheels. Stock wheels are perfect, IMO. If you're getting aftermarket wheels just for looks, I'd hunt for some 16's with close to stock specs.

You're going to get a million different opinions here. My opinion: OME really isn't the best suspension option anymore. Not even the best budget suspension, except the 861/862 ("stock height" replacement springs). Their shocks are too stiff, their springs have shorter length, allowing the spring to come loose at full droop. Don't get me wrong, they're OK, but there are so many options available now and OME is more like cheap "work truck" suspension compared to most. As @GW Nugget just hinted at, dual rate springs are a major step up from OME (all of which are linear rate except the aforre-mentioned 861/862). Just my $.02.

I run the OME heavies F/R on my DD 96, but I regularly carry about 600-800 LB of tools all the time. Without the weight it has stinkbug and rides rough. I also have airbags for when I load a power wheelchair on the back (500 LB) in addition to the tools.

I got the heavies because a friend bought them and hated them because too rough.

The correct shocks make the most difference. There are two sets of OME shocks. Get the lighter ones or go back to the stock Tokico shocks.

If you're only running 33's, skip the tire carrier and run the spare in the stock location. It will save a good amount of weight and make life easier getting in and out of the back. I would also stick to 16" wheels if running 33's as it will give you more sidewall to improve your ride quality off road and reduce risk of damaging your wheels. Stock wheels are perfect, IMO. If you're getting aftermarket wheels just for looks, I'd hunt for some 16's with close to stock specs.

You're going to get a million different opinions here. My opinion: OME really isn't the best suspension option anymore. Not even the best budget suspension, except the 861/862 ("stock height" replacement springs). Their shocks are too stiff, their springs have shorter length, allowing the spring to come loose at full droop. Don't get me wrong, they're OK, but there are so many options available now and OME is more like cheap "work truck" suspension compared to most. As @GW Nugget just hinted at, dual rate springs are a major step up from OME (all of which are linear rate except the aforre-mentioned 861/862). Just my $.02.

Let’s be clear that Nitrochargers are their non adjustable shock model and do offer BP-51s at a higher price bracket.

“Best” is highly YMMV. I’ll be converting from the nitros to BP51s next week. We shall see what I think of them paired with the ome medium springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom